Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Then I saw security taking a guy out near Fool's Court. I talked to people and I have a good idea of what happened. So you know how you walk past the area near the giant jester (I heard an actor call her Giggles) and there is also that giant pile of skulls with a throne on top. Yeah a guy hopped the fence and climber on top of it for a picture. Guess what, parts of the skulls were crushed and the guy is apparently banned for life.
One more reason I hope Project Madrid is a great ride and not a big gimmick ride: To spite this guy.

I've been told a new system in place that allows actors to silently alert security of any issue they may encounter inside the venue. It doesn't take security long to get inside, as was written above.

Unfortunately, it isn't just this Halloween event..it's everywhere. This era of "entitlement" is ridiculous. People think they are the center of the universe; the hell with anyone else. It just frosts my butt when people think they can do whatever they want regardless of how it inconveniences people around them. Then they cop an attitude when they're called out on their rudeness.

Now get off my lawn!

I don't think you're wrong, GrandpaD, but I think the issue also partially extends from the dehumanizing of the scare actors. A lot of the behavior I've observed indicates that people don't realize the scare actors are high school and college students just trying to do their job, and that somehow by putting on makeup and a costume the actors have transformed into true monsters who deserve to be stood up against. I think that people who abuse the actors have convinced themselves they're not attacking real people, just characters or "bad guys", which is why we don't see the guy walking around with a broom and dustpan getting the same sort of abuse.

I don't think you're wrong, GrandpaD, but I think the issue also partially extends from the dehumanizing of the scare actors. A lot of the behavior I've observed indicates that people don't realize the scare actors are high school and college students just trying to do their job, and that somehow by putting on makeup and a costume the actors have transformed into true monsters who deserve to be stood up against. I think that people who abuse the actors have convinced themselves they're not attacking real people, just characters or "bad guys", which is why we don't see the guy walking around with a broom and dustpan getting the same sort of abuse.

Where is the "heart" emoji when you need it? I completely agree, and it's sad.

Reactions: phurst and Mushroom
I don't know what has been going on this year with guest misconduct. This past weekend, each night I went to the park there was police talking to groups or individuals outside of Vault:XX for whatever reason.

Not that it is an excuse for people harassing scare actors, but Busch Gardens has absolutely crappy visibility of policies regarding the event. There is a medium sized black and white sign at the entrance of each queue which lists out the safety and policy information. If there was a test on any given night to figure out how many guests read those signs it probably would be less than 5%. Any haunted attraction I have ever been to has had repetitive and blatant signage on the queues with something to the manner of "Do not touch the scare actors, they will not touch you" as well as a cast member which reiterates that at the entrance. Busch Gardens has none of this. Maybe there is just an influx of high school students and young adults who think it would be funny to touch an actor, or to try and push back and harass them after being spooked - without considering that Busch Gardens actually pays attention to these actions and that there are consequences.

Either way, Busch Gardens needs better signage.

They added a new sign that caught my attention about not touching the actors. I tried to take a photo, but a team member told me that there was no recording, even though I was about 100 feet from the house. I am glad that they don't have recorded messages playing on repeat like Kings Dominion, but hopefully, people will see the signs and abide by them.

Odd question I Know, but years ago they used to open the indoor mazes a little before 6. Are they doing this anymore? Headed up tomorrow.

Ive seen much talk lately about what time houses and shows start each day. I really wish they would go back to a hardfast time each day that the event starts. In the earlier years the shows didnt start until very late in the afternoon, around 4:30 or 5 and then the whole event would start around 6ish. This really made it feel like a event, normal park during the day then changeover to HOS after dark. Now the majority of the shows run during the day and in the evening some nights there are only one showing of Night Beats after dark. With a 11pm closing the last show shouldnt be 8pm.

I think with so many shows and houses it makes sense to start things earlier in the day. That way people can watch the shows, before the haunt begins, and spend the nighttime hours focused on attractions that require darkness.

Additionally, it probably gets guests into the park sooner, since many people are only going for HOS.

I do understand the reasoniong for earlier shows...but for me years past where the shows were mainly at night made for a better event. I think its also hurting the park and not keeping guests late into the night. I can remember years of shows right at the very end of the night and the Festhaus being packed with a line out the door and them using the side entrance. This year the last hours have been very slow. In fact we were there Friday night and went though Vault and Lumberhack by ourselves. It was uncomfortable quiet but we did get some of the best scares so far of the event that nbight. Frostbite and Demensions also had some great scares. I think the park is feeling it in alcohol sales as well, the bars are packing up well before park closing. I think if they had the shows later in the evening they would make it where it was hard to do it all in one night and create a need for a second visit to see everything. I guess its just me but the way of doing it where everything starts at dusk just is a better haunt....it works for HHN.

HHN is a separately-ticketed event. BGW’s HOS isn’t.

And when I did HHN, I wouldn’t have had a hope of getting through everything with Bill and Ted’s, if I hadn’t had Express Pass.

Reactions: Zimmy
Exactly....they make a killing on Express Passes. You dont need Quick Queue at BGW HOS anymore because they have stretched the HOS offerings over a whole park day so they are losing money. HOS for me is much more fun when there are a ton of people in the park, as much as everyone hates lines thats what builds up the suspense of the house. Look back to the days of the train, that wait was the best. Now you just walk into a house and it takes away from the excitement. The problem with shows running all day is by 9pm people are done and going home. Mark my words, we wont see midnight closings next season on Saturdays nor 11pm on Thursdays and Fridays.....if they even open on Thursdays next season.

You dont need Quick Queue at BGW HOS anymore because they have stretched the HOS offerings over a whole park day so they are losing money.

Wait. Wait. Wait.

Are you seriously complaining that Busch Gardens Williamsburg is structuring their event in such a way that it allows customers to experience it all for the price of admission?

I don't call that a problem, I call that ethically sound.

Look, I'm sorry, but this is honestly one of the craziest criticisms I've ever read in my life.

Getting more for your money and time is a positive! As for me and my family, earlier show start times are fanstastic because my 9 and 5 year olds love the shows like Ripper Row but don’t enjoy getting scared thru the park or in the haunted houses. So we can go during the day with the kids and leave by 6 to enjoy all the fall/Halloween themes w/o the scare.
For my wife and I on the other hand, we can leave the kids with the grandparents on another day and enjoy the scares at night. :)

I'm a week late with my trip post. I have just been busy. I spent a few days in Williamsburg October 5-8. On my first night, I spent an hour at the HOS passholder event due to arriving later than I anticipated. I was able to do Dystopia, Circo Sinistro and Frostbite with no wait. I was surprised at how empty the park was. It was awesome. My thoughts on the houses:

Dystopia - Good staffing and decent scares. It reminded of a steam punk apocalypse. I enjoyed it more than Deadline.
Circo Sinistro - Can BGW please cut that preshow? Even though their was hardly a line, the preshow was just a waste of time. The house itself I enjoyed especially the roulette room and snake lady. I kept getting lost in the roulette room until a scareactor directed me out lol.
Frostbite - Horrible house. Half of the maze wasn't even frozen. No snow and it wasn't even cold. Their was a good amount of scareactors but not that scary at all. Last year was much better.

Next day on Friday, I spent a few hours during the day at the park. The park wasn't that busy. I took in Monster Stomp and Night Beats along with a few rides. I loved Monster Stomp. Great show as always. Night Beats though didn't do much for me. I haven't seen it in a long time. Night Berats is a good show but I just can't get into it. Later that day, I left for Kings Dominion Haunt which I will give my thoughts in the Kings Dominion forum. I will say this though about Haunt. FANTASTIC HALLOWEEN EVENT!! Much Much better than HOS. Shout outs to Zachary and RollyCoaster. Moving on...

Saturday was insane. I knew it would be busy since it was a Saturday during HOS and the first day of the Counts Spooktacular. Speaking of which, I saw a few kids (and adults) in costume but no treat stations. Wasn't their trick or treating during the Count's event? Anyway, I did a few rides and Fiends early on before the crowd got crazy. I haven't seen Fiends in 2 years. Great show. I like the changes since my last viewing of it. Later that night after HOS started, I did the rest of the houses (Demented Dimensions, Vault XX, Cornered, Lumberhack) as well as go through all of the scare zones. I also met Paul from IOMGeek on YouTube. My thoughts on the houses and scare zones:

Vault XX - I got in line 5pm. Their was only 6 people ahead of me. I`m glad I did because that got terribly long by the time Vault opened. Vault was great. I recognized most of the rooms except for 2 of them. The girl in the tower, where was that from? Well staffed.
Demented Dimensions - The line wasn't too bad. It was about a 20 minus wait. I enjoyed this house as well. Well staffed with some good scares. One thing I didn't like though was how the que line meshed with the Cornered line. That was so confusing.
Cornered - Half corn maze, half underground maze. That's what this year's Cornered was to me. It made no sense. Plus the que line was so long and confusing. It was close to an hour wait. What happened to the rest of the corn, the mirrors, the bush people?
Lumberjack- This continues to be one of my favorite mazes. Well staffed. This can be scary both during the day and at night imo.

Scare Zones. I thought they all had great staffing but some lacked atmosphere.
Garden of Souls - Great theming and costumes. The scareactors could have more than scream at you.
Fools Court - Great set pieces, especially the throne, and costumes. I thought the DJ fitted better with this theme better than Demon Street.
Rippers Row - I usually don't spend alot of time in this scare zone but I did this year. Great theming and I enjoyed the staff performances.
Sideshow Square - This zone has gone downhill. Was the ringmaster the only scareactors that came back? I didn't recognize anybody else. Where are you Wendy the windup doll? Good scares but doesn't seem as enjoyable as it use to be.
Vampire Point - The vampires seemed paralyzed. They just stood around and growled.
Axe Alley - See Vampire Point.

Overall, I rather enjoyed HOS this year but continues to decline imo. Every year this event becomes less of a Halloween event; less atmosphere, less decor, less scares. BGW just doesnt seem to care anymore. I didn't any of the crowd behavior that some of you mentioned thank god. Though management has done very little to fix it. I wish things were different. I wish HOS was the truly scary event it was when I first came in 2007. Those days are sadly long gone.

I have a friend that is working scare squad, and he's just about lost faith in humanity. It starts with people loudly pointing out where the scare actors are, ruining it for everyone behind them. Then there are the people that LOVE to punch the scare actors in the face. Seriously, what is up with that?

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad