Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Aug 23, 2013
Arlington
Hi all,

I have not posted much so I thought I would throw something out there since we went to HOS this past weekend.

My HOS Background / Short review for this year
So I have been going to HOS for about 6 years now and I have to say this was one if not the best overall events I have been too. We almost always go on Saturday and get QQs so its consistent. There were some good house and even better areas/terror-tories than I believe in the past. The only complaint seem to be not enough scare actors, though this year had the most I have seen - or needed the least amount more.

So HOS is good, but I think it can always get better and I had a couple ideas.
What would you do to make HOS better!
  • House Idea: At the end of a long hallway in the middle of a house give participants a choice of going right or left. At the end of each turn have three doors for participants to open. Behind two doors have a scare actor. Behind the third have a path way to the rest of the house. This will provide guarantee scares and make it a challenging for participants. You can label the choice of left or right with something like "wicked scares =>" and "Cheesey scares <=". You would need enough light at the doors and at the split to make sure participants know which way to go.
  • Move the fear of heights room to the Pirates area - wife's idea - and make it a walk the plank scare.

You all are smart folks - what small ideas would you like to see at HOS?

Reactions: John and Nicole
If they stay with the terror-tories, I'd add ghillie suit guys around the park. Just hidden in the bushes with their shakers or something. Just to keep people on their toes.

pandorazboxx said:
If they stay with the terror-tories, I'd add ghillie suit guys around the park. Just hidden in the bushes with their shakers or something. Just to keep people on their toes.

Imagine if Oktoberfest was a huge version of Root of All Evil. alot of plats and stuff around with alot of chainsaws, ghillies, and creatures.

Imagine if they had a lot of monsters from the start of the event!! :dodgy:

I feel that they could make some of the small side building really cool props. Like the blow t-shirt art stand in Germany. Get rid of the t-shirts for HOS and make it a castle type thing with vampire and stuff that interact with you. :)

Tony said:
[*]House Idea: At the end of a long hallway in the middle of a house give participants a choice of going right or left. At the end of each turn have three doors for participants to open. Behind two doors have a scare actor. Behind the third have a path way to the rest of the house. This will provide guarantee scares and make it a challenging for participants. You can label the choice of left or right with something like "wicked scares =>" and "Cheesey scares <=". You would need enough light at the doors and at the split to make sure participants know which way to go.
[*]Move the fear of heights room to the Pirates area - wife's idea - and make it a walk the plank scare.
[/list]

For all of your Whovians playing along at home, this could totally be set up like the God Complex episode.

Fear of Heights in a pirate maze is, of course, a brilliant idea.

Reactions: Planeteer
I have had this idea for a year or so now, and I think it is pretty cool. Have e park have one big theme, like zombies or vampires or whatever, and have a bunch of themed characters just walking around. Have literally no barriers. Have the monsters roam wherever they want, stores, restaurants, ride lines, etc. It would give the scare is everywhere a new meaning. :)

Another idea is have terror-tories in all the countries, and have the themed characters able to roam everywhere. Stores, lines, restaurants, etc. Knock down all barriers for monsters. (Except for touching of course.

I also think it would be cool for BGW to get a house like alone. That house looks SO cool and scary. I would so do it if it came to Williamsburg!! :)

A guy at work was telling me about a really cool sounding house in Kansas City. It is just a huge warehouse with very dim lighting, fog, obstacles and tons of scare actors. He said you get really lost and disoriented as you are being chased by the actors, so is gets really scary. He said one of his friends got lost and couldn't find his way out for an hour.

Hoopla said:
I have had this idea for a year or so now, and I think it is pretty cool. Have e park have one big theme, like zombies or vampires or whatever, and have a bunch of themed characters just walking around. Have literally no barriers. Have the monsters roam wherever they want, stores, restaurants, ride lines, etc. It would give the scare is everywhere a new meaning. :)

Another idea is have terror-tories in all the countries, and have the themed characters able to roam everywhere. Stores, lines, restaurants, etc. Knock down all barriers for monsters. (Except for touching of course.

I also think it would be cool for BGW to get a house like alone. That house looks SO cool and scary. I would so do it if it came to Williamsburg!! :)

The only problem is, in restaraunts, you dont want to scare people and have them drop their food or whatever and waste their money. However, i do agree terror-tories everywhere, but with safety areas in the rstaraunts and stores, esepcially with breakable things(like the shops in ireland).

However, I did hear a story about a howloscreamer in the Caverns of Darkness maze, ont he last day, getting a bunch of bowler hats from the leprechauns(who I think quit or something), and they became the monster mob.(forget what the actual creature name was). he would say things like "Yeah, see, we're gonna go rob groggans Grill...Ye aint a squealer are ya? Cause, see here, we'll be sure to nail ya to the wal if you are, see?"

Gotta love some of those scare squad peopl,e cause theyre very imaginative and come up with some interesting things.

Reactions: Hoopla
^Yeah, the resturant part was meant to show no barriers. I didn't actually want them to go in resturants. :) I also don't want them going into a store with glass pieces!! :)

Actually, there have been scare actors around Trappers before. It made dinner a bit exciting. It is already almost too dark to eat there. Guys with chainsaws or whatever add an additional level of difficultly. (Not that any of that stopped me from eating my brisket.)

I'd bring back the haunted train. Have some type of Rhine River ride to interact with pirates me and Nic talked about this, I d put witches in New France. Over in wolf area put werewolves, like something went wrong and a wolf bit a zoological person and transformed them.

More later I would do this but it's already done, had to add this for Senior Glitter

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 9
Mazes:

classic monster ideas

These icons ahve lasted for over 80 years, and will continue to do so forever. These are some ideas for how Busch can incorporate these icons into their park.I would only do one of these.

Dracula-Banbury Cross

Dracula, Bram Stokers Classic Novel comes to life in this maze. Cover your necks, and keep the stakes nearby as you follow Dracula from his castle in Transylvania to the streets of london!

Frankenstein - Ireland

While Frederick Freakenstein creates his experiments in the abbey stone, Victor Von Frankenstein, the mad scientists in Mary Shelleys, Frankenstein, creates the classic monster. But beware, the creature has gotten loose, and with Victor losing his grip on sanity as the creature kills out of hatred and longing for accpetance, you could be the next one on the slab.

The Wolfman- Oktoberfest(Black Forest)

Henry Talbot was attacked by a creature known as the werewolf, and now, hes one himself! Hope you have silver bullets, cause its a full moon tonight, and the wolfman is on the prowl.

Original Ideas

As good as the classics are, we need change. So heres some new ideas for the park.

Clockwork- Banbury Cross

In this apocalyptic future, england has turned into a steam-punk hell-hole, with thives, murders,and other scoundrels roaming the streets, it seems as though its just part of the clockwork.

Urban Legends-Ireland

The hookhanded man?A serial killer in a bunny suit?UFOs? those are just urban legends,right?Well, theres more to these legends . And fact is stranger than fiction

Festa Dei Morti:Festival of the Dead-Festa Italia

This carnival is more than just your average town fair. Here, necromancers and witches ressurect the dead for one night only,the only catch is, they need blood sacrifice...Any volunteers?

Returns

Some mazes are so good, they last...

Catacombs

Deadline

Cutthroat Cove(with revamp)

Terror-tories

Fog-Banbury Cross(goes with Clockwork)-After the war, the fog rolled in, a ghastly green fog, that turned the war ravaged people into beasts. monsters. and theyre after you.

Black Death- Heatherdowns- in the dark ages, throughout the english countryside, the plague ravishes the nation, and many small villages are full ofthe dead...except for this one. For some reason, the dead rise, and attack the living.

Creeps-Ireland- All of Doctor Freakensteins failed experiments are thrown into the streets, but their willing to work for food! Take photo ops with these weird creeps and then run. Or you just might end up staying for dinner.

Scary Tales- Jack hannahs wild reserve- In this fairy tale village, everything has gotten twisted, and the once lovable characters now seek for blood.

fantômes de la révolutions:phantoms of the revolutions- France- Frances history is filled with bloodied revoltuions and toppling of tyrants. Now, the spirits walk the streets, spilling blood once more.

Hellbillies- New France- Momma has something special just for you! This redneck family has been out in the woods too long, and now the insane blue collar folks around these parts are looking for something fun to do...which could be killing you!

Blood Rage-Rhinefield- The streets are spilling with blood as vampires and vampire hunters clash , but can you escape the fight? because even innocents are fresh for the picking, and the hunters have you in their crosshairs.

Ingrown-Oktoberfest-It started from the Black Forest, but now its spread. Plants with minds of their own!They can snatch you up, control humans infected by their spores, but one thing is for sure. Theyre hungry.

Anarchy- San Marco- Rome is falling. Its chaos in the streets as enemies attack and over throw the once great nation.

CarnEvil- The time has come for the festival of the dead, and such a festival comes the CarnEvil! A festival of all things damned and disgusting. Freak Shows, demented talents,black magic, all is shown for the passerby.So step right up!

Infection- Pompeii Area- The infected have excaped the quarantine. The italian garde cannot contains the infection and even they are becoming infected. Watch your step. Zombies ahead.

They need to start by having proper staffing in mazes/scare zones. Staffing is probably the biggest issue I've seen with HOS every year I've gone (gone for three years now). I hate how half of the mazes and scare zones are pretty much dead space. The hordes didn't work because the groups weren't big enough to really make an effect. The "terror-tories" felt VERY understaffed outside of France and England (although the actors did a pretty good job).

Reactions: Zachary
I think maybe they should advertise the job, that way more people know of the job. Also, maybe theyre being a bit picky of who they hire. I know people go there and simply coming out at them and syaing hi im bob would make them run screaming... Maybe they should have a scare school for those who need additional scaring experience/skill. Also it doesnt help that they treat their senior members(more than 2 year howl-o-screamers poorly. they are indifferent to problems that may arise and can be very shrewd.A lot of great scarers have left because they arent treated well enough. Plus actors knowsecurity isnt that great, when regarding a guest assaulting cast members, but as soon as a guest says someone touched them, they practically go SWAT on the teammembers without any proof other than people claiming they were touched by a scare squad member.

Here's the idea: I have never ridden the Rhine River Cruise, but from what I have heard, it is extremely boring. Of course, removing it would take away a great opportunity for guests to observe the beauty of the park. What if, after sunset or during HOS, pirates take over the Rhine. As guests are enjoying their seemingly peaceful journey down the river, a pirate ship pulls up next to them and its occupants jump aboard. A few actors disguised as guests are taken by the pirates back onto their ship. The ship is taken over by pirates until British forces arrive and liberate the ship and return it to port.

So peace lovers with Guns and Glittery Swash Buckling Pirates? Eh, it could be good. (Maybe they could make it comedic.)How about legends of the Rhine River? This way there could be sea monsters, pirates, and scary stories.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad