Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Jun 13, 2011
429
879
210
26
2015 saw the welcome of three new mazes, two being replacements (13>Unearthed and Root of all Evil>Cornered), and one new maze that was a return to form of early Howl-O-Scream mazes, Lumberhack, situated in the woods adjacent to Festhaus Park.

Two mazes have seen their SEVENTH year at Howl-O-Scream. Bitten, which remains almost completely unchanged and left standing as is since 2009, and Catacombs, which each years gets remade differently due to the modulation of the set pieces.

Fiends was rumored to leave this year...that was shortly recalled and stated the show will return, we will find out the truth in a few months...


What should stay? What should go? What would you like to be new?
 

The Hessian

MSG. Co. E, Cherokee Regiment of Rifles.
Nov 30, 2015
862
715
210
Saluda, Virginia
Yo new forum member but Howl-O-Scream Fanatic. To tell the truth this the best Howl-O-Scream we have had in years and having been around for awhile it was great to see the event return to its former glory.
For the most part I am happy with the event except with one or few things which need to go these include Lumberhack which was literally being back at home and Night Beats which either needs to disappear into the night or be revamped.
 

wombat96

avid coaster enjoyer
Sep 20, 2013
2,378
5,010
250
Virginia
www.youtube.com
With a new VP of entertainment I would suspect new changes, Fiends is done for now supposedly and MS:RR will most likely stay for a few years as it has Monster Stomp in the title. Night Beats is a tricky one as it has mixed reactions and has been running since 2012. Also, with a new summer show using back stage space in the RPT could Catacombs be retired or possibly moved similar to Wicked Woods? RPT can't host a show without backstage space so it's either show or maze in that location.  This is entirely fan speculation other than the departure of Fiends but other may disagree. Should be interesting what we see next year.
 

Nicole

Administrator
Jul 22, 2013
11,027
29,237
260
Arlington, VA
The Hessian said:
Yo new forum member but Howl-O-Scream Fanatic. To tell the truth this the best Howl-O-Scream we have had in years and having been around for awhile it was great to see the event return to its former glory.
For the most part I am happy with the event except with one or few things which need to go these include Lumberhack which was literally being back at home and Night Beats which either needs to disappear into the night or be revamped.

Welcome to the Forum, and I agree this year was the best HOS in years.
 

The Hessian

MSG. Co. E, Cherokee Regiment of Rifles.
Nov 30, 2015
862
715
210
Saluda, Virginia
Connor said:
With a new VP of entertainment I would suspect new changes, Fiends is done for now supposedly and MS:RR will most likely stay for a few years as it has Monster Stomp in the title. Night Beats is a tricky one as it has mixed reactions and has been running since 2012. Also, with a new summer show using back stage space in the RPT could Catacombs be retired or possibly moved similar to Wicked Woods? RPT can't host a show without backstage space so it's either show or maze in that location.  This is entirely fan speculation other than the departure of Fiends but other may disagree. Should be interesting what we see next year.

What Connor has said reminds me now thinking about it I'm wondering what BG could have lined up for a new main theme for this year's theme was awesome.
 
  • Like
Reactions: SWStevo
Sep 29, 2009
2,894
7,814
260
From what I have heard, the park wants to continue with the Unearthed maze next year. With less fuss about dealing with other parks and developers, that should make it easier for them to focus on more important individual elements.

This is purely speculation, but I would expect it to get a revamp a la RoAE. I loved the detail in the maze, and the fact that they covered up more of the existing building than ever. I still believe the maze can be saved, preferably starting with characters and usage of media.

Tampa ultimately ran into the same character/media issues, but their maze was also solid in terms of theme execution. I highly doubt that they will throw all of this costly work away. At least, not when they have a good chance of improving it. They need to keep on trying if they want to succeed at creating more unique stories and environments.
 
May 21, 2014
105
39
90
Get rid of the pirates, they aren't any good at all!, let's see something new there this year.
 

wombat96

avid coaster enjoyer
Sep 20, 2013
2,378
5,010
250
Virginia
www.youtube.com
Rob28 said:
Get rid of the pirates, they aren't any good at all!, let's see something new there this year.
I've heard the rumor that CTC has sailed off the line-up after a three year run according to a fairly reliable source. Of course, this is just a rumor that's thrown around every year. I hope I don't sound like I'm clowning around.
 

Thomas

Never Sane to Begin With
Advisory Panel
Oct 24, 2009
6,250
17,639
250
29
New Orleans, LA
When I rode the train this past Christmas Town, I could have sworn CTC was not there anymore. But it was kinda dark, so take that with a grain of salt.
 
  • Like
Reactions: CastleOSullivan
Sep 29, 2009
2,894
7,814
260
I definitely saw work going on during early Christmas Town. This was not just battening down the hatches. The hen houses were being moved to the outside of the fence.

Every house in that location so far has looked beautiful. CTC was the first maze in that spot to last more than two years. Although in my opinion, the scares were about as mediocre as year one of Cursed. The actors were not the problem. Rather, it was the characters.

When they build a new maze there however, I want them to reconfigure the path a bit. After a while, navigating the same path, reversed each time gets tiring. Thankfully, they now know that they can just build a deck in some areas.
 
Sep 29, 2009
2,894
7,814
260
^I love it! I really want to see the full potential of craftsmanship that the park currently has.

Speaking of which, I would assume that Lumberhack will return with a significant extension. Several park officials have spoken off cuff about that being a plan.

Supposedly the original plan was to create a boardwalk configuration much like what was leaked here. Later they decided it would be too redundant, and therefore not worth the cost of expanding off the slope.

I really enjoyed that maze and I compare it to Griffon. What exists is awesome, but there is not enough substance to it. Thankfully, this shouldn't be in the same price range of extending a coaster.
 

The Hessian

MSG. Co. E, Cherokee Regiment of Rifles.
Nov 30, 2015
862
715
210
Saluda, Virginia
Personally I wouldn't want Lumberhack to return it was like I hadn't even left the house cause the environment was the same there as being home. And I'm glad CTC is going in my opinion it's been the worst house in the last seven years consistently.
 
  • Like
Reactions: deacfan31
Feb 11, 2016
259
390
160
Connor said:
Rob28 said:
Get rid of the pirates, they aren't any good at all!, let's see something new there this year.
I've heard the rumor that CTC has sailed off the line-up after a three year run according to a fairly reliable source. Of course, this is just a rumor that's thrown around every year. I hope I don't sound like I'm clowning around.
I saw what you did there...that was sneaky :)
 
  • Like
Reactions: SWStevo
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad