Does this glowstand appeal to the eye and blend with the elegance BGW is known for?

• No

Votes: 34 91.9%
  • Yes

Votes: 3 8.1%

• Total voters
Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Jul 22, 2010
After a quick visit to the park today I figured that I would get another glance at this glowstand that has been installed in Italy. I mainly wanted to get another look at the stand to see if I was being unfair in my earlier evaluations of this merchandise location. Even moreso I wanted another look at the stand to determine whether or not I have been inequitable. The possible eventuality of more of these warrants an unyielding evaluation. I for one do not find that unreasonable with the current state of Entertainment. As this stand is ran as a co-op between Operations and Games it can point to whether or not there are larger, more adverse possibilities for the park in other departments.

In an open minded approach to the stand I was instantly distraught at the thing. It was atrocious on every level and a sad attempt at a quick, high profit margin on cheap items. The appearance stands out like a sore thumb, looks like it was thrown up on last minute, and built from Home Depot's left over lumber section. It destroys the ambience and theme on a MAIN THOROUGH-FAIR of the park that experiences extremely high traffic volume. As I was standing there observing the kiosk with my brother, who had yet to see it, another family approached me and stated how awful it was to them that the park would go THAT low. In his words "I am saddened at that park would go this low for money, I am truly appalled. Could you imagine having to be the poor unfortunate soul that has to staff it. Working in such an eyesore of a monstrosity."

Now at first his opinion at first caught me as "jeez, can this guy be anymore negative over this thing?" After thinking about it walking away I realized his opinion paralleled mine as well as many others here. I am widely known as an apologist for the park and some of the items that have been changed. Quite frankly, other than Entwined and Illuminights this year I do not have an overly high disagreement level with the park... well and the shirts which is not an overly big deal. The fact of the matter in accordance to this particular installment is that it is some of the negatives that we have seen bleeding over to other departments.

So let's try this one with a poll for feelings on this issue. I will outline the two polling options clearly IN the poll.

Photo of said stand:

AeTdB.jpg

RE: Poll: How Gaudy Is This? **Caution- Eye Burning Content Within**

Busch making that star walkway gaudy?? Noooo.... haha it seems like a trend every year to make it as bright as possible.

You know what's funny? I actually usually just assume that what the park does is going to be decent (believe it or not). So, having just heard the basic description of this stand, I didn't see what the big deal was. I mean, it's a glow stand. I was envisioning some kind of a kiosk, maybe. One of those carts with the lightsabers and whatnot. Whatever.

However, now that I've got a visual:

That is hideous. Worse than being out of theme, it just looks cheap.

I gotta ask: is the park doomed? Is this ship going to get righted or what?

The one in France blends in more but still, it's not that bad. It provides a unique photo op for all, plus children and parents enjoy and love the bubbles it produces.

Party Rocker said:
The one in France blends in more but still, it's not that bad. It provides a unique photo op for all, plus children and parents enjoy and love the bubbles it produces.

I think you are missing the point. It sticks out like Cinderella's Castle in King's Dominion. There was clearly very little thought or planning (that is confirmed btw) that went into these things.

Yes, this project did seem to be rushed, but other than that, it isn't that bad and people are overlooking the positive and jumping to the negative.

I think you can't just expect people to be happy about it. Now if it had some roman columns, was a lighter color, used the butterfly theme with giardino magico, and had some foliage built into it, it might fit better. It just doesn't fit.

It doesn't affect my happiness that the kiosk is there. But I have to agree it does look tacky.

Reactions: Haberdasher1973

Well I look at it like this, they wanted to make it stick out and get people's attention, does it do that? Yes. So in the end they succeeded.

Party Rocker said:
Well I look at it like this, they wanted to make it stick out and get people's attention, does it do that? Yes. So in the end they succeeded.

So there was no way to make it stand out while keeping with the theme? How has everything else in the park been successful for years while sticking with the theme? Pretzel stop? Ice cream shops? They all seem to be successful whilst maintaining their respective theme.

Reactions: Haberdasher1973

I meant all they wanted to do was get attention for it, yet they were too focused in that, they lost theme in the rush.

Party Rocker said:
I meant all they wanted to do was get attention for it, yet they were too focused in that, they lost theme in the rush.

Now that sounds a bit better haha.

Yes I would see other parks doing this before BGW however my main disappointment is the lack I planning, however I still look at the positives such as the bubbles, black lights, and photo op it provides.

A photo op that when the people show a friend or family they ask "What state fair was this taken at?" Just because it is a great photo op does not mean that the deal itself is a positive.

I agree with Atlantis and Party Rocker. The glow stand works (I'll give it that), but this is a park known for doing more than just "what works."

Good God, it's offical. Sharpay Evans and London Tipton have invaded Busch Gardens.

But, on a more serious note,even if the stand was meant to be a temporary matter, this. . . thing is just a huge eye sore on a park that is known for it's everlasting beauty.

Well, I am sure once it is gone, for next year they may try to go back and plan it out more with some more theme and less randomness.

EDIT: So I assume this is the Glow Stand Thread and all info/pics/etc. should go here, right?

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad