Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Sep 23, 2009
What do you remember most about Hastings and Threadneedle Faire?

I remember always going to the shooting gallery and Questor. There was never anyone there so as a kid I always had the shooting gallery to myself pretty much, it was pretty awesome, now it's just some bathrooms.

I enjoyed the shadow room where you could lean on the wall and when the lights flashed it left your shadow. Of course, the catapult in Hastings was awesome. The lighting effects and sound effects were great; not to mention the industrial strength air conditioner in there (on those hot summer days).

My first trip to Busch Gardens was after Hastings was removed, but I would love to see some pictures of the area.

I loved the big tent structures where they sold sandwiches and the old arcade that was originally the fun house I believe. "Topsy Turvy Manor" I think that's where the shadow walls were Nora.

The shadow walls were where Wizard Works (Now Pot O' Gold) is now. The first room you walked into had a body heat sensor so you could see your whole outline from head to toe. It was pretty neat to see who was Hotter; no pun intended. That room lead immediately into the Shadow Room. I recall they left the doors open often as the rooms became very hot in the summer. Once you left the Shadow Room if you took and immediate left, the Battlements Shooting Gallery was right there. Although, as much as I loved the shooting Gallery, it wasn't very "Hastings". It would have fit better in New France.

By the way, on my map from the 80's it was called "Recollections and Shadow Room".

And Turvey Manor was in the location Grogan's Pub is now. The Tournament Tables Restaurant was next to a Brass Rubbing Station. (They were in those large round buildings with the colorful tarp tops). The theater was called "The Magic Lantern" and in the main court area was a Guess your Age and Weight with large wooden scales that someone had to sit on. ("Why is a witch like a duck?" Is all I could think about looking at that). And... of course the Catipult; how I miss it there. There were also Medieval Stocks that were also in Hastings.

Hastings was one of my favorite haunts as a kid. Back then four quarters went a LONG way in the arcade. My first destination was to run in the arcade and beat Dragon's Lair. Once done, ski ball and the claw machine were right after.

Yes, Yes and Yes!

I remember playing Galaxian in the arcade. and you are right the manor was definately on that side. I totally forgot about the brass rubbing, gosh that was cool. I used to love Threadneedle faire but I'm guessing there is a thread specifically about that somewhere here, sorry I'm still new.

Nora said:
The shadow walls were where Wizard Works (Now Pot O' Gold) is now. The first room you walked into had a body heat sensor so you could see your whole outline from head to toe. It was pretty neat to see who was Hotter; no pun intended. That room lead immediately into the Shadow Room. I recall they left the doors open often as the rooms became very hot in the summer. Once you left the Shadow Room if you took and immediate left, the Battlements Shooting Gallery was right there. Although, as much as I loved the shooting Gallery, it wasn't very "Hastings". It would have fit better in New France.

By the way, on my map from the 80's it was called "Recollections and Shadow Room".

And Turvey Manor was in the location Grogan's Pub is now. The Tournament Tables Restaurant was next to a Brass Rubbing Station. (They were in those large round buildings with the colorful tarp tops). The theater was called "The Magic Lantern" and in the main court area was a Guess your Age and Weight with large wooden scales that someone had to sit on. ("Why is a witch like a duck?" Is all I could think about looking at that). And... of course the Catipult; how I miss it there. There were also Medieval Stocks that were also in Hastings.

Hastings was one of my favorite haunts as a kid. Back then four quarters went a LONG way in the arcade. My first destination was to run in the arcade and beat Dragon's Lair. Once done, ski ball and the claw machine were right after.

Hey Oldtimer, (Love the name by the way)

There is a thread / Photo Page for Hastings and Threadneedle I made a while back... here is the link: http://bgwfans.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=159
:)

Thanks Nora, looks like we both grew up in the burg'.

Nora said:
Hey Oldtimer, (Love the name by the way)

There is a thread / Photo Page for Hastings and Threadneedle I made a while back... here is the link: http://bgwfans.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=159
:)

oldtimer said:

Probably ran past you numerous times over the years too.

I've been to BGW more than anyone knows and more times I could honestly keep track of. I've mentioned this before, but The Old Country served as a very cheap babysitter for my parents about five days a week from 10am-10pm. Back then, my brother and I could eat Lunch and Dinner for about $10.00 which my parents gladly handed over to get us out of the house.

That ritual went on for years and years.. not that I would ever complain. I have always considered myself very fortunate to live so close to the park. Not as close as Chris though ~so jealous! :shy:

Nora said:
oldtimer said:

Probably ran past you numerous times over the years too.

I've been to BGW more than anyone knows and more times I could honestly keep track of. I've mentioned this before, but The Old Country served as a very cheap babysitter for my parents about five days a week from 10am-10pm. Back then, my brother and I could eat Lunch and Dinner for about $10.00 which my parents gladly handed over to get us out of the house.

That ritual went on for years and years.. not that I would ever complain. I have always considered myself very fortunate to live so close to the park. Not as close as Chris though ~so jealous! :shy:

Wow, that's such an interesting childhood experience! How fun!!!!

I remember Questor, I think there was a magic shop, and I remember there was a show in the place where dinner with elmo/santa is now. I remember the park as being way more about dragons and knights back in the day.

My mom would drop me off with a friend and give me $5 for the day. We'd sneak in food from home and use the 4% for the arcade. I always liked the one in Hastings best, it was darker as I recall. If I had my own money I'd blow it on "Whack a Toad".

All I can recall of Hastings is the tents with games in them, similar if not the same as the ones in Germany.
(it took a little thinking but the 4% in oldtimer's post is actually $5. He got his caps mixed up. So I was either really slow or it is a confusing typo. I'd prefer the latter.

Fur Dozy said:
All I can recall of Hastings is the tents with games in them, similar if not the same as the ones in Germany.
(it took a little thinking but the 4% in oldtimer's post is actually $5. He got his caps mixed up. So I was either really slow or it is a confusing typo. I'd prefer the latter.

lol, yeah I fat fingered that one, sorry it was $5.

and the "tent's" were a sandwich place I think.

This is one thing I like about this site, the members seem to be interested in the parks history.

I don't remember them being deserted, quite the opposite actually. Hastings has changed quite a few time over the years. It must be the most altered country in thre park.
Threadneedle was a great idea too, and well attended I thought. They were mostly games of skill there. Things you could get good at. Especially if you were a plucky young boy who really really wanted to win a pewter chalice. I finally got the dang thing after what seemed like hundreds of toads whacked.

Ha!!

"The Chalice from the Palace has the pellet with the poison and the Flagon with the Dragon has the brew that is true. Or is the flagon with the fleegan- or the ..."

Threadneedle was great- I loved how everyone who worked there had to talk with a British accent.

Celticdog, since the area was uncovered and mostly games of skill, Busch gardens always closed Threadneedle if it were raining. The log roll and ladder climb were especially treacherous if it began raining. Perhaps that is why you recall the area deserted.

Ah~ but I can still smell the mulch there after the rain and how densely wooded it was. On a hot day, it was the place to be. Besides, it was a hoot watching folks try the ladder game and backwardly falling on their butts over and over.. or rolling off the log. Come to think of it, it was like the show Wipeout.

I used to win the dart game every time. You threw three honest to goodness pointy metal darts at vegetables and if all three stuck in the veggie, you won a stuffed animal.

I doubt BGW would ever house such games again, just for prevention of lawsuits!

I also remember there were ladies called "wenches". I doubt that would pass in our uber PC culture these days.

Didn't you win a burlap target if you shot the dragon in the heart with the crossbow? and what about the "dragon scales" you'd get as a consolation prize? I still have mine and I still hav no idea what it really is.

I JUST THOUGHT OF SOMETHING! I had completely forgot about it and all of sudden it just came to me. I distinctly remember a man in Hastings; had to be the early 80's; playing on a medieval style Clavichord and singing traditional medieval music. When it hit me, it was just like I was there. I can picture his outfit and hat, what he looked like, where he was playing; and the amazing instance where he allowed me to play on the Clavichord myself. I stood there for what seemed like hours; memorized and I must have asked him a slew of annoying questions. But as I recall his expressions, he did seem amused and happy that I loved his music. He even added my name into a song for me. I suppose I was about four at the time. Wow- what a time capsule resurrection! To think that memory almost slipped into oblivion!

I also want to mention that in Hastings in the late 70's-early 80's; perhaps even 1980 exactly, my brother and I waited in line to meet Adam West. The cheesy Bat-Man show was on TV; you know, the one that was all "POW! SHAZAM!". He was in his corny Batman costume and when I think about it; a young boy cut in front of my brother just as he was about to shake Adam West's hands and Adam told the boy; "I'm sorry son, but this young man is next." and reached out to say hi and take a photo with my brother. My brother was in a daze afterward. He was so happy that Batman came to his aid and wronged a right. He talked about it for weeks!

Reactions: Mushroom
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad