Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Apr 29, 2011
HARLEY QUINN Crazy Coaster to Debut at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom
World’s First Dual Looping Coaster Coming in 2018

August 31, 2017 06:00 AM Eastern Daylight Time

VALLEJO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Six Flags Discovery Kingdom, the Thrill Capital of Northern California, in partnership with Warner Bros. Consumer Products on behalf of DC Entertainment, today announced its newest thrill machine—HARLEY QUINN Crazy Coaster, set to open in spring 2018. This world’s first of its kind inverted looping coaster features continuous inversions along a vertically stacked figure eight track. The ride features multiple head-to-head high flybys at combined speeds of 70 miles per hour for the ultimate dueling adventure ride.

“Six Flags is the leader in thrills and opens new rides and attractions every year, at every park. Six Flags Discovery Kingdom will debut a world’s first of its kind coaster and it will be our first to be themed after one of the world’s most iconic female Super-Villains, HARLEY QUINN,” said Park President Don McCoy. “Located next to THE JOKER—our popular hybrid coaster, the over-the-top personality of HARLEY QUINN will be the perfect addition as the world’s most iconic Super Heroes and Super-Villains battle it out for dominance.”

HARLEY QUINN Crazy Coaster takes thrills to a whole new level, as two trains race forward and backwards then charge each other head-to-head to create a dueling riding experience that only Six Flags could deliver. The dueling trains with 32 riders seated face-to-face, race repeatedly around a 360-foot circuit of lemniscate (figure eight) track.

HARLEY QUINN Crazy Coaster highlights include:

• Riders experience up to 12 head-over-heels inversions

• After the two trains travel back and forth, the ride does three forward rotations and another three in the opposite direction

• A tantalizing “High Five” moment – when the two high speed trains pass each other at a combined speed of 70 miles per hour giving the illusion that riders can actually reach out and “high five” the other riders as they careen by.

HARLEY QUINN Crazy Coaster will be located across from THE JOKER and adjacent to SUPERMAN Ultimate Flight.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20170831005356/en/HARLEY-QUINN-Crazy-Coaster-Debut-Flags-Discovery

More like Crazy Not-A-Coaster. Shame on RCDB for actually including it. What's next, Pipe Scream? Water coasters? (Though to RCDB's credit, they call it a powered coaster.)

The main reason why RCDB chose to classify it is because it isn't a full-circuit connected vehicle (like the Larson Loops) and the ride vehicles are capable of articulation in multiple directions besides up and down (like the Disk-O coasters).

Personally I classify them as a coaster but it's fairly obvious that with the whole *two* that have been built since Skyline introduced the Skywarp that the industry in North America really isn't interested in them.

I'm actually almost positive that Windjammer had more uptime in its service life than HQCC did.

Member when people were excited for these rides? I’ve never ridden one, though.

The page for this ride at the park's website is no more. So would seem to be at least confirmed that it won't operate.

I still believe that, conceptually, the Skywarps are brilliant. They fill a void in the market that definitely exists. It's just a shame that the execution has been so severely flawed so far. If these things ran Raptor trains I imagine they'd be a lot more successful.

Reactions: warfelg
Really random aside, but rides like this are nice for parks, especially low capacity smaller economy parks. My OG home park of Lake Compounce has a Skyrocket II and a Boomerang in its lineup. For a small park these high thrill low cost rides have a place.

As much as enthusiasts don’t love them I think some can do a better job in learning to understand the place for a ride like this.

Really random aside, but rides like this are nice for parks, especially low capacity smaller economy parks. My OG home park of Lake Compounce has a Skyrocket II and a Boomerang in its lineup. For a small park these high thrill low cost rides have a place.

As much as enthusiasts don’t love them I think some can do a better job in learning to understand the place for a ride like this.

Sure, but everything I’ve read says that it is exceedingly loud. That’s going to lower the appeal for even smaller parks. No first hand experience, though.

Here's a question. Supposedly this ride has been sold. Do Six Flags parks sell rides to other Six Flags parks, or do they just give rides to each other because they are all Six Flags? If they give each other stuff, and if it was sold, then it's not going to a Six Flags park. But if they do sell each other rides than it could be going to a Six Flags park. Anyway, I'm just curious if they sell each other rides or if they are just transferred. And, especially, hoping this is not going to SFA.

I think there may be internal park capex budgeting that gets adjusted but essentially it's the same idea as a retail store shifting inventory to another store in the chain as dictated by corporate.

So technically not a sale if it stays in the same chain, in this case SF, but the management may refer to it as that as corporate may have adjusted budgets.

Reactions: Crunchewy
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad