Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Mar 16, 2016
Honestly, I enjoyed Phoenix, and don't want to rain on it's parade....but am I wrong in saying that as the #1 wooden coaster it's a little overrated? I still rank it in my top 3, but 1? Humph. I'll just leave it at that.

Reactions: Mushroom

Zachary

Administrator
Sep 23, 2009
Virginia
Honestly, I enjoyed Phoenix, and don't want to rain on it's parade....but am I wrong in saying that as the #1 wooden coaster it's a little overrated? I still rank it in my top 3, but 1? Humph. I'll just leave it at that.

There's a really poorly designated subclass of woodies in my head that I'd consider it the best in—"classic" wooden coasters or something like that. That bucket includes things like SCBB's Giant Dipper, Kennywood's Jack Rabbit and Thunderbolt, SFA's Wild One, etc.

That said, in the wider field of wooden coasters, I do think it is a bit difficult to imagine Phoenix being deserving of the #1 spot unless these rankings are suddenly taking into account accessibility, charm, etc—aspects that have never seemed to matter in steel coaster rankings.

Disclaimer: My number one wooden coaster fluctuates between Lighting Rod and The Voyage.

b.mac

Indiana Beach Vibe
May 14, 2011
BFE, Virginia
I personally enjoy Phoenix to the point of ranking it near my top in coasters simply because it's honest-to-god fun. There's really not many coasters, enough to where I can count on one hand, that I would go out of my way to just ride over and over again on a given visit. It's not the best at anything in particular, but it's damn good at providing air time and isn't forceful enough to the point where you get a headache after a few rides.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2016
There's a really poorly designated subclass of woodies in my head that I'd consider it the best in—"classic" wooden coasters or something like that. That bucket includes things like SCBB's Giant Dipper, Kennywood's Jack Rabbit and Thunderbolt, SFA's Wild One, etc.

That said, in the wider field of wooden coasters, I do think it is a bit difficult to imagine Phoenix being deserving of the #1 spot unless these rankings are suddenly taking into account accessibility, charm, etc—aspects that have never seemed to matter in steel coaster rankings.

Disclaimer: My number one wooden coaster fluctuates between Lighting Rod and The Voyage.

Oh I very much do the same thing. Comet (HP), Wildcat (LC), Phoenix (Kn), Thunderbolt (Ken), Racer (KD) are my winners in the classic era woodies. They do need to be treated as their own “subclass” IMO. I tell friends that going just Woodie or Steel for designation doesn’t work anymore.

Reactions: Thomas

Mushroom

Getting aHEAD of myself
Advisory Panel
Feb 12, 2011
Totally agree with @Zachary and @warfelg. I would argue that there is a similar “subclass” for steel coasters too, populated by rides like Loch Ness Monster and other older coasters (mostly Arrows).

Reactions: Zachary
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad