Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
What we do know is that KD will not let anyone leave and return to the park during Haunt, reportedly because of fears of drugs and violence.

Is there any evidence of this? I’d always heard it was to prevent guests from getting drunk in the parking lot. That can go hand-in-hand with violence, but on paper I’d say those are two different issues.

Reactions: bill s
Is there any evidence of this? I’d always heard it was to prevent guests from getting drunk in the parking lot. That can go hand-in-hand with violence, but on paper I’d say those are two different issues.

I've been told all the above over the years.

Regarding the topic in general, KD's crowds ARE a generally more rowdy bunch during Haunt—especially on Saturdays. I don't know that it's considerably worse than other regional amusement parks (see violence at SFA during Fright Fest) but I can safely say that it is worse than the closest comparison most of us have—Busch Gardens Williamsburg.

So yeah, in a comparative sense, I don't know if KD is worse than the rest of the regional park Halloween event bunch as a whole. That said, I do know that MANY of these regional parks have what I would consider to be a pattern of issues with violence during their Halloween events—KD included.

Even though the incidents at KD are relatively rare, they need to do more to get the trouble makers out of the park permanently. There was an incident last year at the Frederick MD fair where a guest got punched by a couple teens and died on the spot. It's not inconceivable that something similar could occur at KD if they don't get the rowdiness under control. If a death in the park happens from the violence the park can plan on a big drop in attendance and a major reputation problem to deal with for several years (IMO SFA has this attendance problem from violence already baked in).

I'm not disagreeing with the general idea, but curious how much of an actual issue this is?

Doesn't KD/CF issue bans for fighting in the park, and with all of the extra law enforcement agents around during Haunt (Hanover Sheriff's Office sends several deputies to my knowledge) wouldn't a night or few in lock-up be as much a deterrent? Why would one large incident from a couple of years ago that isn't normal for the park since CF purchased it mean that the whole park is out of control?

Can we honestly say there's a higher chance of fighting, and, from my interpretation of @rswashdc's post, a higher chance of sudden death within the park during Haunt vs. at any other time vs. anywhere else?

Edit: please understand I'm honestly asking as we haven't seen data either supporting or refuting either narrative, that the park is more or less dangerous. Fact should trump fiction in this instance, especially when the park has had some negative PR over the years.

Last edited:
It isn’t one event, it’s a pattern. Talk to any Haunt employees—there’s an issue with rowdy crowds and violence towards actors and, at times, other guests too.

Anecdotally, there seems to be a lot of overlap between days with cheap bring a friend ticket deals and particularly poorly-behaved crowds. If you get banned from the park after having a fun, out of control night with your friends for $20, is that really so bad? Plus, single day tickets have ALWAYS been a way to get around being trespassed by parks—they may ban your pass and maybe even your email and/or credit card, but anyone can still go buy a single day ticket—especially when you have to do it at the gate to get your $20 BAF deal.

The large incidents make the news, but there are anecdotal reports in social media of other smaller incidents that have occurred. All it takes is one really bad incident with an innocent bystander and it's going to be a disaster for the park.

My view is Haunt is much worse than the rest of the year. We've done some Saturday visits during the summer and while there are some minor issues, Haunt seems to really amp up the problems.

The big issue is even if someone gets banned via their season pass, they can still get in the park with daily tickets or bring a friend. KD (and probably other parks) need to look at facial recognition or using some kind of personal identifier with the daily tickets to deal with this workaround.

Reactions: Zachary
Of course it'd be best for the park to do everything it can for guest safety including better ways to keep known troublemakers out.

I guess I'd just like to see the data that Haunt is actually worse than any other crowded evening, or that it's worse at KD vs any other large venue during high occupancy (not just parks) - perception may equal reality, but not always equal the truth.

The only thing I can think of that's different is some people use the fight of their fight or flight response to attack a scare actor popping out - maybe that's what you're referring to be the increase in violence?

Haunt is worse on Saturdays as it gets extremely crowded, plus that's typically a late night out for people. Sundays are nowhere near as bad even with good size crowds.

There's definitely a different vibe going on during Haunt in general where some guests feel they can act out in ways that would never be acceptable other times of the year, just because it's a Halloween event. This increases the tension overall to the point where it doesn't take much to spark an incident.

Typically, haunt events attract significantly more teenagers and young adults, regardless of park demographics. That plus increased emphasis on alcohol sales plus cheap tickets plus scare-related adrenaline and/or bravado leads to rowdier crowds. I think every park has a reputation for being much messier during haunt events, even Universal and Knott's.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad