Login or Register to Hide This Ad
Sep 8, 2019
Having never been to KD, I bought their season pass deal which includes this year's Haunt and all of next year. Where do I need to go to get extra free ticket to bring someone into the park? I'd like to go next Saturday. And what are crowds usually like during the day during the fall?

Jan 16, 2016
As expected the first night of haunt was overly crowded.
Acts are again in the middle of the Cleaver Brothers Carnival scare zone & completely ruin the vibe imo.

I didn't care for the new locations of most of the scare zones

Why don't they have these acts indoors or in planet snoopy?
(Again, at least not in a scare zone)

Grimm Woods could be really good but not enough actors

Condemned was the best house overall for actors and experience imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: jeffh and bill s

Nibbins

Resident Rat
Sep 3, 2019
VA Beach
Having never been to KD, I bought their season pass deal which includes this year's Haunt and all of next year. Where do I need to go to get extra free ticket to bring someone into the park? I'd like to go next Saturday. And what are crowds usually like during the day during the fall?

I thought the extra ticket is only for renewing pass holders. (unless they ran a special promotion that I didn't see)

You can pick the ticket up at ticket booth or turnstile if you are eligible.

The tickets are only good for Sundays though.

1632746688001.png

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2009
I agree Haunt this year is top notch, the actors are on point, the makeup and costumes are great and the park feels great. So much fog!! The only "house" that I feel needs work is Grimm Woods. It needs more smoke and more props for actors to hide behind. Right now you can see them way ahead of you and they basically just sit or lay there saying "help me" I also think the maze could have been beyyet further back on the trail where the deck with railings ends which would give more of a "woods" feel. I will say though the last 1/4 of the trail was great with the overgrown trees you have to duck around and under.

Reactions: Nibbins
Jun 17, 2011
Richmond
zachcphoto.com
My takeaway last night was just the extent to which this event dunks on HOS - better prop setups, better staffed zones, much more engaging characters, better live entertainment, and just a better and more consistent atmosphere in general. Hopefully it only gets better in the coming weeks, but they really nailed it this year. Some photos I got last night:

ZCZ_3873-1.jpg
ZCZ_3878-2.jpg ZCZ_3906-3.jpg
ZCZ_3914-4.jpg ZCZ_3946-3962-1.jpg
ZCZ_3964_5_6-Pano-6.jpg
ZCZ_4054-9.jpg ZCZ_4051-8.jpg
ZCZ_3999-7.jpg
ZCZ_4089_90_91-10.jpg ZCZ_4104-11.jpg
ZCZ_4133_4_5-Pano-13.jpg ZCZ_4115-12.jpg

Aug 27, 2012
My takeaway last night was just the extent to which this event dunks on HOS - better prop setups, better staffed zones, much more engaging characters, better live entertainment, and just a better and more consistent atmosphere in general. Hopefully it only gets better in the coming weeks, but they really nailed it this year. Some photos I got last night:

View attachment 24684
View attachment 24685 View attachment 24686
View attachment 24687 View attachment 24688
View attachment 24689
View attachment 24691 View attachment 24692
View attachment 24690
View attachment 24693 View attachment 24694
View attachment 24695 View attachment 24696
I was there last night also, but I honestly think your pictures look better than what I saw in person. Awesome pics!!

mtorange

Grand Carnivale, Haunt, and WinterFest Aficionado
Jul 26, 2014
This isn’t related to KD’s Haunt specifically, but both Dorney Park and Valleyfair have now banned bags during Haunt hours. It makes you wonder if KD is next.

• Sad
Reactions: Zachary and Nicole

netdvn

Team Instinct
Jan 12, 2012
in the rear
dvn225.deviantart.com
Despite the crowds last Saturday, I had a blast visiting Haunt. Normally I tend to go toward the end of the season but I got lucky this time around. Place was slammed, but crowds for the mazes came in waves so there would be dead periods followed by periods of hour+ waits. Longest wait was about an hour for 305 and an hour for Timbers right before haunt. Everything else I got in under 30 minutes.

Mazes
Blood on the Bayou (2x) - Its short, but sweet. Filled to the brim with amazing detail and tons of actors.
Trick or Treat (2x) - This is probably my favorite of the mazes this year.
No Vacancy - I miss the flashlight gimmick, but I can see all the cool details inside this maze again. It feels like stepping into the Tower of Terror. Might be getting a little long in the tooth though.
Cornstalkers - Another classic maze. I didn't see as much staffing as I have in years past. Another maze that might be getting a little long in the tooth.
Grimm's Woods - KD sacrificed Grizzly night rides for this? Naw I'll pass on it.

Scare Zones
Carn-evil - I love the atmosphere here. I remember it taking up more of the midway in years past though
Masquerade - This zone felt a little tight. I wish they had more free roam around the entire tower instead of just one little corner.
Graveyard - This felt like one of those mini mazes SFOG set up in their scare zones, but much larger. I had a blast in here even though it was really hard to get around in some areas.
Old Virginia - Sliders are back and better than ever. No chainsaws this time though. KD usually uses toy chainsaws though so I guess it doesn't make much of a difference.

Overall even with the insane crowds, I still had a really good time at Haunt. This is still one of my favorite regional park haunts. Looking forward to doing it again soon.

mtorange

Grand Carnivale, Haunt, and WinterFest Aficionado
Jul 26, 2014
1633040570044.png

Add CGA’s Haunt to the list. They’re even banning cameras in scare zones, which is quite bizarre and an enforcement nightmare, IMO.

horsesboy

professional Pantheon observer
Advisory Panel
Silver Donor
Jun 16, 2013
At the park and more to come later. But I wanted to point out something that I don't believe anyone else has mentioned. Blood on the Bayou had two what appeared to be air sanitizers running one of which was disguised at all. Nice to see KD taking steps where they can given the current situation.

horsesboy

professional Pantheon observer
Advisory Panel
Silver Donor
Jun 16, 2013
Air sanitizer? Like a fan with a filter, or a fog machine full of sanitizer?
looked like an actual sanitizer with a filter and UV light hooked up to it,

Nibbins

Resident Rat
Sep 3, 2019
VA Beach
At the park and more to come later. But I wanted to point out something that I don't believe anyone else has mentioned. Blood on the Bayou had two what appeared to be air sanitizers running one of which was disguised at all. Nice to see KD taking steps where they can given the current situation.
They covered the exposed one up now. I was in there yesterday and it's barely visible anymore.

Jun 3, 2010
Newport News, VA
So, here's a trip report from a different perspective. Those of you who believe nobody goes just because of entertainment may want to leave now, before your worldview is challenged! My wife doesn't do scares. She attended the very first year if Howl-o-scream, was scared once, and ran out of the park. Hasn't been back to a Halloween event during evening hours since. I'm not the same, I'll be returning for a more normal Haunt experience later. However, both she and I love the shows. We always go to Busch during the day to see them, but KD only shows them at night during Haunt. Well, this year, we looked at the map, looked at YouTube videos, and decided we'd give this a shot.
We arrived at the park around 5 on Sunday. Enough families were leaving that we got a fairly close parking spot. We immediately bought a "No Boo" necklace ($12) for her. She's an interesting use case. During Haunt, we actively avoided all houses, and all scare zones but Masquerade. Even that we were able to mostly go around. We headed down to Safari Village to look at the scenery in Uprising before everything started. Wow, I can't wait to head back up, because that looks like it could be a fantastic scare zone! We also got the wings at Chicken Shack, as that will likely be her last trip before Winterfest, so no more until next year. The honey barbeque wings are one of our favorite foods in the park, and one of my favorite wings anywhere. Whole wings, juicy, crispy, meaty, with a sweet sauce and a decent kick of heat. If you haven't tried them, they're a hidden gem.
From there, we headed to I-Street to grab a seat for Blood Reign. Blood Reign was ok, kinda cheesy, but worth one viewing. That had her only freak out moment, when all of the scare actors disperse through the crowd. She just wasn't expecting that, and it was just a lot really quickly. But that was over, some deep breaths, and on to Heads Will Roll. Huge cast, 21 on stage Sunday. Fun selections for songs, we liked their arrangement of Hungry Like the Wolf, and Ballroom Blitz was unexpected and appreciated. One of the highlights is the camping from the groups of entertainers on both sides of the stage. We were pleased to see a number of our favorite singers and dancers back from summer shows and Grand Carnivale.
After that, we skirted the tower on the west side, away from Masquerade, then went down center street towards Grove Stage. Grove stage is constructed of a couple of cargo containers, surrounded by signs, props,, and even the school bus from previous Haunts. Riff Raff was up first. Pretty straight forward show, just a five piece band ( I understand it's sometimes 6) playing Halloweenish hard rock. Feed My Frankenstein, Dr. Feelgood, etc. The guitarist and keyboards were your Teo stars from River City Ramblers (oddly enough, switching instruments from that show) who both were costumed as if they'd just discovered Hot Topic. Both are excellent performers. Add a good drummer, an excellent bassist, and a very good lead singer, and you had a quite enjoyable 21 minute show. The closing version of Bat Out of Hell had us return to see it again. Following that at Grove Stage was Ruckus. Ruckus is purely a dancing show. 14 or so ridiculously talented young women dancing to songs that sadly, I'm at an age where I had no clue what they were. Worth a watch if you're passing by, it's a relatively short act. Keep an eye out for the blonde in the fishnet top, she was just fun to watch. I've NEVER had that much energy. We stayed there for a second showing of Riff Raff, then headed back up to the Grande Bandstand for the last showing of Heads Will Roll before heading out.
A couple of thoughts. First, the "No Boo" necklace. We only experienced the fringe of Masquerade, but the necklace worked fine. Scare actors still interacted with my wife, but no fan scares or anything. They had no problem scaring others nearby.
Second, decor. Beyond the scare zones, KD does a nice job decorating for the season. I love all the wreaths they've been doing for different season the last couple years, and I particularly liked the Day of the Dead decor outside Border Burrito, and the fall foliage on the floral clock.
And in the area they could improve, food. So many of the Cedar Fair parks have Halloween event menus. Unleash Chef Denis!!
So, there you go. A trip report for a trip with someone who doesn't like scares, is terrified of coasters, and still goes to Kings Dominion and other parks regularly!

Login or Register to Hide This Ad