Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

wombat96

avid coaster enjoyer
Sep 20, 2013
Virginia
www.youtube.com
After all these announcements this year Kings Dominion really changed my view on the park. But,what are we seeing for Haunt? At the moment we know that Miners Revenge is out. I have this feeling that a few house are leaving this year that have over stayed their welcome. Either way 2013 was a great year and I'm pretty sure 2014 will be just as good. Let the Speculation begin!

Jan 28, 2014
I'm glad I'm not the only one already wondering about Haunt this year. I seriously registered with this forum today so I could discuss this lol.

I find it hard to believe that only Miners Revenge will be replaced. I think they'll replace another one while they're at it. While I am a fan of Medieval Macabre, I wouldn't be surprised to see it change since it's been around so long. Club Blood has been around longer, but it is clearly a crowd favorite, so I don't think it will be changed. I also think Feary Tales may be replaced with a new scare zone since it's been there since 09. Three new attractions would be a lot to undertake, but KD has been stepping up their game with Haunt the last few years and I think they could pull it off.

I mentioned an idea on another KD Haunt forum. Personally, I'd like to see Feary Tales turned into a maze. I think that would be great. Killer rabbits, the Mad Hatter, zombified Alice and Red Riding Hood, the Big Bad Wolf, killer 3 Pigs, etc. There is so much KD could do with these fairy tale stories and I really think it would make for a fantastic maze.

2013 Haunt was a great time and I cannot wait to see what KD will come up with for 2014.

Apr 5, 2011
Isn't Club Blood super popular though? I'd like to see it replaced as well. I actually think Medieval Macabre should be replaced next though, it's pretty lack-luster as it stands and the area could be used for something so much better.

Reactions: Youhow2
May 3, 2011
Richmond, Va
Club Blood is pretty popular. I've never heard of anyone who doesn't like it. It could probably use a bit of updating probably just to help mix it up a bit.

Medieval Macabre should be taken out and be advertised as a second new maze with Miner's Revenges replacement. Which, I'm still sorta curious what will take it's place. I'm sure they are going to want to recycle a bunch of those props to not completely waste their money with that maze.

As for Feary Tales, I love the atmosphere and lights of this, but the actors don't seem to grasp this area too well. I would love to see this to stay, but be updated to better support the actors with hiding places and small break areas. There are a few, but I never see any actors when I go through. Also this area is amazing because the trees hold in most of the fog and it's one of the hardest scare-zones to navigate because of this.

Mushroom

Getting aHEAD of myself
Advisory Panel
Feb 12, 2011
I think the most likely solution to replacing Miner's Revenge will be reuse of many of the props/sets, but with a different story so as to avoid any mining references. I mean, theming a maze to, say, a lair of evil underground monsters should only be so hard.

Jan 28, 2014
Evan said:
Club Blood is pretty popular. I've never heard of anyone who doesn't like it. It could probably use a bit of updating probably just to help mix it up a bit.

Medieval Macabre should be taken out and be advertised as a second new maze with Miner's Revenges replacement. Which, I'm still sorta curious what will take it's place. I'm sure they are going to want to recycle a bunch of those props to not completely waste their money with that maze.

As for Feary Tales, I love the atmosphere and lights of this, but the actors don't seem to grasp this area too well. I would love to see this to stay, but be updated to better support the actors with hiding places and small break areas. There are a few, but I never see any actors when I go through. Also this area is amazing because the trees hold in most of the fog and it's one of the hardest scare-zones to navigate because of this.

Evan, I definitely agree about Club Blood. People love it, but I'd really like to see it be updated. I honestly don't know how(I'll leave that to Steve the Haunt Guy), but it definitely needs to be freshened up a bit. I think the newer mazes - i.e., Cornstalkers, No Vacancy, Miners Revenge, Zombie High - got a lot of attention and love from KD in 2013 and I bet the older ones will get some more attention this year.

Feary Tales has always been interesting to me. On paper, I think the concept itself is the best of the Scare Zones and I think 2013's layout was much better than 2012. Maybe I have a crap memory, but I remember there being a lot more detail, more props, and it not being as open as it was in 2012. The atmosphere is great with the fog, props, and the music. But it seems to be pretty under-staffed, which really brings it down. I feel bad for the few actors there because it is a cool theme to work with, but it's tough when there's only a few of them.

I hope they can find a good replacement for Miners. I really enjoyed the maze (huge improvement over Killauee) and was infuriated that KD cracked under the pressure of a small group of people. Seriously, should Volcano be taken down because people have been killed by volcanoes? How about changing Zombie High because of school shootings or Medieval Macabre because people died from the Black Death in the 1300s? But I digress. Anyway, I agree with Joe. It doesn't seem like it would be too hard to do something with the Mine's props without referring to it as a mine. I just would like to see them build up the first half more. Give the actors more to work with, more places to hide. It's too easy to see them in that first half. If they can build up the first half a bit more while still using something similar to the mine shaft in the second half, it can be a great maze. After all, who doesn't get creeped out in the woods at night?

May 3, 2011
Richmond, Va
One thing I noticed about Feary Tales was that the actors got better as Haunt went on. They were all very energetic, but they didn't seem to use the props to their advantage. And then some would just skip down the path and make high pitch squeals which is great, when one or two of the actors are doing it, but when all of them are doing the same thing, it gets sorta boring. There are places where they can hide as well as a few props that they can crawl on and such.

As for Miners Revenge, my memory sorta fades at this, but I'm pretty sure the first half of the maze had a lot of reused props from Camp Killauee such as the tents (if there were even tents, again, bad memory.) and a few of those props that hung out on the sides of the pathway.

With the changes to CornStalkers last season, I'm sure the Haunt designers can think of something how to change up some of these older mazes. Time will tell though.

Reactions: Mushroom

wombat96

avid coaster enjoyer
Sep 20, 2013
Virginia
www.youtube.com
I would love to see Blueridge BloodBath turned into a camp,zombie apocalypse,or steam punk? Also,what if they turned the que of Rebel Yell into a maze about a creepy carnival with the big creaky wooden rollercoaster and Rebel Yell would be running? (I have to much free time.)

May 3, 2011
Richmond, Va
I completely forgot about that one, mainly because it's not that great at all. The concept is really neat, but It's too open and the beginning is really boring. While I think they should still keep it as it is (a little different actually), I don't think it should be advertised as a maze. Plus the lines for it are always so long, it's just not worth the wait in my opinion.

It just needs to be advertised as a ride with a special Haunt overlay and nothing else.

Reactions: Pretzel Kaiser
Nov 1, 2012
Club Blood has been around long enough that it has gone through 2 revisions since it first opened. The last 1/2 of the maze had the most modifications to the path and props used.

The first half of the maze, (entrance "street scene" to the club/bar has had minor changes [new/relocated props] and some minor path alterations. The club/bar itself has had major revisions [again, new/relocated props and the pathway through it, changed around].

Once past the club/bar scene, you are at the half-way point in the maze. This portion had the most changes to the path itself and some moderate changes to the props used.

As many have stated, Club Blood could hang around another season or two. Especially, if the park did another refresh on it. But, I see it leaving in the next 2-3 years.

There are just so many good haunt themes/ideas coming out of Knott's; to keep a long string of new mazes coming to Kings Dominion for many years to come. Some ideas have been used and retired at Knott's already that have never made it to Kings Dominion. Not to mention the current/new haunt attractions Knott's.

I would like to see the new haunt maze from Knott's, based on the horror stories of Edgar Allen Poe, come to Kings Dominion. Poe lived in Richmond for many years; his mother is buried in the churchyard of St. John's on Church Hill in Richmond and his girlfriend lived here as well. That would be a great maze to replace Medieval Macabre.

The top maze, that I could see not making it back for 2014, is Medieval Macabre. I would follow that with Doll Factory or Club Blood. If Miner's Revenge had not gotten the boot at the end of 2013, we might have seen 2 of the 3 mazes above replaced for 2014.

So my guess is Miner's Revenge gets a makeover/new theme and one other maze gets the boot.

With the scare-zones; I am having a hard time deciding which one may be replaced for this fall. So many of the scare-zones have received major upgrades over the last 2 years, including new/upgraded props for Feary Tales in 2013.

To be honest, I thought Ironworx was lackluster last year. It is the largest scare-zone in the park (area wise | with the Cleaver Brother's Circus in 2nd). There were too few scare-actors to cover the large area. The park was supposed to expand the props in that area to include overhead pipes connecting the set pieces and a few other things. To date, nothing was done in 2012 or in 2013.

Cleaver's Brother's Circus suffered from too few scare-actors as well. Its biggest problem is that the scare-zone is in too open of an area. The park needs to find some medium size, (12-14 by 14-18 foot) circular or oval carney tents and install them in the center landscape islands. They can place the original props around the tents. I could see the tents lit up by lights on the inside and the props themselves could use some illumination as well.

Reactions: Nicole and Mushroom
Apr 5, 2011
I though Ironworx was a bit sparce, but certainly a good enough theme and execution to keep it. I wish that the Circus did have more actors, but when I went there I didn't think it was suffering too much because of it.

The Poe idea would actually be pretty fantastic as a Medieval Macabre replacement.

Reactions: Youhow2
Jan 28, 2014
The Poe idea would be great. I'd love to see that come to KD. Very unique and would be a great addition.

It seems like the Scarezones in general need more staff. They all look great, but need more actors. Necropolis was the only one that had a good number of actors when I went through. I didn't even see 1 acror in Kuru. And I agree about Carnevil being too open. It blends in too much with the area and would be better off being more enclosed. The actors we saw were good, but they'd be more effective in a closed space. I also think the lights from the games kill the mood a bit.

Another theme I'd like to see at KD is the Jack the Ripper theme from Knott's. That looked great. I'm not sure where they could put it in KD, but I'd love to see it. Medieval's spot would probably be the best of the current maze locations.

To replace Miners, I'd like to see something done with werewolves. You're in the woods being hunted by a pack of werewolves. Simple, maybe not the most unique, but werewplves are great if done correctly. I'd like to see what KD could pull off with them.

Jan 28, 2014
Outbreak has great potential as a maze, it is just not executed very well. If it got the same kind of attention from KD that No Vacancy, Cornstalkers, or Doll Factory get, it'd be great. There's just so much to play with in the Fight of Fear warehouse. It practically screams, "Make an epic haunted maze here!!!" But for whatever reason, that building just can't seem to get a good maze. The props aren't nearly as good as the other mazes and the actors don't always seem to be as into it as some other houses. It's just very forgettable. The only thing I remember from it was a guy on top of one of the rooms' entrances who dropped down a bit into my face and got me so bad that I jumped back and fell to the floor, which was great. Otherwise though, pretty forgettable.

One person on another forum said they're hearing Medieval will be gone, while another says they heard Slaughterhouse and Club Blood are on the chopping block. Obviously it is extremely early, but it is interesting to hear/discuss, nonetheless. Of the 3, my vote would be for Club Blood to go (fan favorite, but always kind of middle of the pack for me), but my money is on Medieval being scrapped.

Aug 31, 2013
buckler89 said:
I'm glad I'm not the only one already wondering about Haunt this year. I seriously registered with this forum today so I could discuss this lol.

I find it hard to believe that only Miners Revenge will be replaced. I think they'll replace another one while they're at it. While I am a fan of Medieval Macabre, I wouldn't be surprised to see it change since it's been around so long. Club Blood has been around longer, but it is clearly a crowd favorite, so I don't think it will be changed. I also think Feary Tales may be replaced with a new scare zone since it's been there since 09. Three new attractions would be a lot to undertake, but KD has been stepping up their game with Haunt the last few years and I think they could pull it off.

I mentioned an idea on another KD Haunt forum. Personally, I'd like to see Feary Tales turned into a maze. I think that would be great. Killer rabbits, the Mad Hatter, zombified Alice and Red Riding Hood, the Big Bad Wolf, killer 3 Pigs, etc. There is so much KD could do with these fairy tale stories and I really think it would make for a fantastic maze.

2013 Haunt was a great time and I cannot wait to see what KD will come up with for 2014.
Busch did a maze like this called deadtime stories,I believe.After they removed this maze,everything snowballed downhill.Its to that point where ill be trying to go to KD for haunt to compare.

Aug 27, 2010
I think slaughter house will go before club blood. I think Club Blood has reached it's time but it can seriously get better with another refresh, or just an update in general. They pump some more cash into it and it could be even more amazing. It's already an amazing maze. I have a few qualms with how they set up some of the scares, but I love the atmosphere inside the maze and how the story unfolds... Something that has been missing from Busch mazes for awhile. Surprisingly, I was really impressed with the story in ROAE 2. The middle was kind of "?????" but the beginning and the end did make sense.

Medieval is by far one of the worse haunt mazes, and KD is really aware of the product they are putting out when it comes to the haunt most of the time. I wouldn't be at all surprised if that were the one to go. Also, Doll House is still a bit new, 3 years? If anything deserves a refresh, It's that maze. That finale totally freaked me out, and it keeps you guessing every. single. time.

wombat96

avid coaster enjoyer
Sep 20, 2013
Virginia
www.youtube.com
So, anything happening? I'm starting to think that the antique cars might be getting a black widow treatment considering the success it's had in it's west coast cousins.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad