Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
The thing that I like most about Gwazi is the branding. It's a good name, and the overall look and theme is definitive of Busch Gardens Tampa. I can tell that they want to preserve it in some form.

Another thing unique to Gwazi is what you could see from the ride. You could see the majority of construction for Howl-O-Scream going on off of the ride. It is amazing how the event's facades sit there in separate pieces. I always had my curiosity peaked while on that ride.

To be honest I feel like combining the two sides of Gwazi would be a waste. I'd much rather see the first true dueling RMC project.

Reactions: Jrbgwfan06
Zimmy said:
they should leave it alone and re-open it.

The biggest problem is that, from what I understand, it simply doesn't make financial sense.

Reportedly Gwazi suffered from comparatively low ridership, very low guest ratings, and very high maintenance costs. The climate in Florida alone constantly wreaked havoc on Gwazi's track and support structure requiring constant costly refurbishment.

Like everyone else, I think it's unfortunate that Gwazi is left standing but not operating, but I understand and support the park's reasoning for closing it and keeping it closed.

I would love to see Gwazi reborn into an attraction utilizing a material more appropriate for Florida's constant wind, rain, and brutal humidity, but if that doesn't happen, I think Gwazi is better off shuttered for good. It has been a money pit for years. I think pouring anything more into a massive wooden coaster in Florida is unwise.

I am going to guess that "idea" was meant as sarcasm. I doubt they could get it over the lift hill if they tried. It seemed like the park kept the ride running until they decided it looked too dilapidated. Pretty soon (if not already), I wouldn't even trust a squirrel to climb that thing. Then again, they probably didn't want people to start questioning the safety of the ride.

It's made more money for the park closed than open. I say tear it down and start from scratch with something else. Even if they did retrack it, you still have a wooden structure that will suck money.

Reactions: Mushroom
Any brand new wood coaster built in central Florida would need to have a steel support structure like The Voyage or that wood coaster that just opened in Orlando; that is something else I was curious about with an RMC conversion of Gwazi would be the structure. Granted, it would still cost less to maintain just the structure than both the track and structure. We shall see what they decide.

I am at least happy that the park is at least considering an RMC conversion even though they haven't made any kind of decision on what they want to do with it. I will say that the speculation of Gwazi being replaced with a Hyper Coaster is probably out of the question now that Mako is opening at SeaWorld. BEC and SEAS have been careful not to replicate ride experiences between BGT and SWO.

So is Gwazi still standing? Every year that goes by (if it is) makes an RMC less likely... Would be such a waste if BG missed out on that opportunity altogether, as RMC makeovers are where a lot of the excitement is right now in coaster enthusiasm. Here's to hope if Gwazi still stands.

TerrainHuggr said:
So is Gwazi still standing? Every year that goes by (if it is) makes an RMC less likely... Would be such a waste if BG missed out on that opportunity altogether, as RMC makeovers are where a lot of the excitement is right now in coaster enthusiasm. Here's to hope if Gwazi still stands.
Gwazi as of now is still standing.

Reactions: TerrainHuggr
It looks very bad though. It seems that corporate reviewed RMC as an option for their parks and gave it a big "NO". They also seem to believe that the supports are the main issue with wooden roller coasters, which is why InvadR has steel supports instead of RMC topper track. Even Sesame Place is following suit, but with another company.

I am not an engineer, but I would say that after all of this rot, Gwazi is probably totaled anyway. They would have to really want an RMC for this to happen, and so far they have shown everything to the contrary.

In fact, BGW and BGT officials have both made remarks about this whole "wooden coaster game" as being a corporate affair, rather than local decisions. Otherwise, I feel confident that we would already have a new "Gwazi" by now.

Reactions: Shane and MAZ
I've been hearing rumors that BGT is considering a Storm Chaser like conversion for Gwazi. This is partly due to John Riellys new ride every year initiative.

Tampa hasn't gotten a new ride since Cobra's Curse in 2016. Not really much of a "new ride every year" initiative going on right there. Williamsburg and Sea World seem to be getting the bulk of all the new attractions

Would be great to see Gwazi converted but from what I've been told, the remaining structure on the ride is pretty much done for so RMC won't touch it unless the entire ride is demolished.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad