Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

Luke

Pusheen Gardens
Silver Donor
Jul 20, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
Cedar Point guest dies after entering restricted area

SANDUSKY– A guest has died after entering a restricted, fenced area near the Raptor roller coaster, Cedar Point has confirmed.

Cedar Point released the following statement about the accident:

At approximately 5 p.m., a guest entered a restricted, fenced area of the Raptor roller coaster and was struck by the ride. Park safety officials responded immediately to the situation. Unfortunately the guest has passed away. Local authorities are on the scene conducting an investigation.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to the family at this time.

http://fox8.com/2015/08/13/sandusky-police-investigating-accident-at-cedar-point-near-raptor/

RE: Cedar Point guest dies entering restricted area

My friend is at the park right now. She told me the talk there is that the guy lost his phone and he went to retrieve it. Freakin idiot!!!

Also, shouldn't this go in the Cedar Point thread, not BGW?

Reactions: Nicole and Mushroom

THIS is why you obey the damn signs around the restricted area. Or at the very least, use common sense before venturing into the path of a ride to retrieve some worthless article.

It's sad that this individual has died (especially for something so stupid), and my thoughts and prayers are with his or her family and friends. However, there is something to be said for natural selection...

Reactions: John and horsesboy

AP confirmed the man was looking for his phone!

http://www.wkyc.com/story/news/local/ohio/2015/08/13/cedar-point--investigation/31663211/

It is hard to feel sympathy for somebody who died so stupidly.

Seriously, Joe?

Whether or not his decision was stupid -- and it was -- no one deserves to die for being dumb.

And what if he had poor impulse control from something like ADHD?

Kinda appalled right now.

I hate when random stupidity causes undeserved bad press. My thoughts and prayers go out to the Cedar Point media team.

Reactions: James

I agree. The bad press should focus on how poorly maintained the majority of the coasters are at CP.

Reactions: Luke

My thoughts and prayers are with his family. However, let us keep in that he brought upon himself, bypassing numerous safety barriers and warnings and putting himself in obvious danger. Not only that, but when a similar incident happened at Six Flags occurred, the rider whose leg struck the victim was also seriously injured. This man broke various park rules and even laws, made a very stupid decision, and put not just himself but others in danger... and paid the ultimate price.

I never said he deserved to die. But he did bring it upon himself by making an obviously dangerous, stupid choice.

Believing he contributed to his own death by being stupid and disobeying park rules doesn't logically equate to not having sympathy for him. He died. It is a terrible thing and sanctimoniously talking about about how he brought it on himself merely makes you look cold blooded and lacking in empathy.

Reactions: Gavin and Luke

75WTMSbxi2eS4.gif

Joe said:
Not only that, but when a similar incident happened at Six Flags occurred, the rider whose leg struck the victim was also seriously injured.
I'm surprised that I haven't heard anything about the rider, if any, that struck him. I remember what happened to the girl on Batwing and how unfortunate, and unavoidable, it was for her.

Reactions: Nicole and Mushroom
Rather than dwell on the above topic, I'd like to highlight another important issue: the rider whose leg struck the victim.

Unlike the man whose life was lost, this person was completely innocent and did nothing wrong. However, their leg could be in excruciating pain and possibly be broken.

Worse yet, this person will forever live with knowledge that they were the ones who struck the victim. Even though it wasn't their fault, they will always be haunted by the fact that they "killed" someone. That is psychological torture.

This person did nothing wrong and their entire life will be altered mentally, and possibly physically as well.

For this person, I have sympathy.

Cedar Point stated that no one else has reported any injury's in the incident.

I haven't taken the time to do any research on the subject, but I know this isn't the first time this has happened. This always seems to happen with inverted roller coasters, no?

Shane said:
Cedar Point stated that no one else has reported any injury's in the incident.

I haven't taken the time to do any research on the subject, but I know this isn't the first time this has happened. This always seems to happen with inverted roller coasters, no?

Well think about it. An inverted coaster takes no space at ground level and leaves a wide open area. Whereas a regular coaster has a track coming thru at ground level taking up most of the ride width.

Reactions: Mushroom
The victim has been identified as James Young of Canton, OH. He was a special education teacher in Louisville, OH.

http://www.indeonline.com/article/20150813/NEWS/150819635

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad