Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
May 30, 2013
Maryland
[UPDATED]

Ok, here's what we have so far, TONS of thanks to Party Rocker for helping to refine the idea.

The idea is that Festa Italy will be transformed into a haunted and abandoned theme park/carnival.

In front of the bridge leading to Festa Italy, a billboard like sign will read something along the lines of, "Scotty's Fun Fair". The sign will appear rusty, torn up, and blood spattered.

The bridge leading to festa Italy will be themed to make it look like you are entering an area you shouldn't be. (Maybe rusty chain link fence running along the sides if the bridge) there will be enlarged newspapers along the fence, telling the story of the disaster that turned Scotty's from beloved fair/theme park/carnival, into a haunted waste land. There might also be an old fashioned radio or two lying around, telling reports of strange things happening inside the fairgrounds, or depicting the disaster that took place. The bridge will serve to tell guests the story behind the area.

Inside Festa Italy, tons of fog will be pumped in (preferably the thick kind that stays on the ground) to make it look haunted and deserted.

Actors will be roaming around dressed as clowns and other characters. The clowns won't be jumping around and blowing horns like in fear fair, but instead appear more possessed, they should provide a psychological kind of fear rather than being in your face. It should be like "stitchin time" in 2011, but carnival themed. Many of the characters will appear deformed.

Temporary tents and game booths can be set up around Festa Italy and have menacing clowns glaring at you behind them. The rides in festa Italy will be given new, disturbing names, and all have some sort of demonic twist (such as the clown head in the center of trade winds). Names for rides can include "the vomit-tron" or "the gut wrencher"

The purpose of the outside area of festa Italy is to provide the kind of scares that have people huddled together in the middle of the path. It's the same concept behind Paranormal Activity, your suspense can last the whole time that you are in the land, rather then for half a second when someone jumps out at you. Hopefully the land will be near silent, the only screams echoing from the haunted house and maybe some creepy carnival music playing softly in the background.

The haunted house it self, will most likely take up shop in the Roman Rapids queue. It will be called something like, "Scotty's funhouse". The theme will be a condemed funhouse, overrun by demented clowns. (Yeah, it's scary)

The house will feature things like a hall of mirrors (complete with broken mirrors and blood splatters) and take advantage of the fact that it can use scare techniques such as darkness or strobe lights (TO AN EXTENT) without it feeling gimicky. There should be a lot of corners that you have to go around and the house should do a good job of keeping you terrified and on your toes. Maybe one time you turn a corner you're face to face with a two headed clown, the next time it's a mirror and you jump at your own reflection.

Also, because the land around it will already discourage kids from entering, the house can experiment with being gory and shocking, as long as the use of gore is limited to keep it powerful. There can be lots of creepy illusions such as spinning tunnels, or hallways that get smaller and smaller. They should remind you of something that you remember from funhouses as a kid, and then throw in a demonic twist that ruins the memory for you. If done right, this house should be around for a lot of years.

This theme is great because it lets you enter an atmosphere where you feel like something is going to scare you around every turn, while limiting that feeling to one section of the park. It also sets the tone well before you enter the house, so you won't have to worry about catering to the weak at heart. All in all it should offer a change of pace to what is offered in the other sections of the park and let you truly emerse yourself in something terrifying.

The theme is great because it is extremely flexible and can be kept in tact for years, while its centerpieces may change.

Please post any suggestions or concerns you may have.

Reactions: chickenking
May 30, 2013
Maryland
chickenking said:
I appreciate the effort put into this idea. But, as soon as I see "close Nessie" I am turned off by it. Need my traditional LNM on the way in and out. :D

How about we reserve it for you? You'll be on the VIP list. There will just be a huge sign that says reserved and a picture of a chicken with a crown on it.

chickenking said:
I appreciate the effort put into this idea. But, as soon as I see "close Nessie" I am turned off by it. Need my traditional LNM on the way in and out. :D

How about we reserve it for you? You'll be on the VIP list. There will just be a huge sign that says reserved and a picture of a chicken with a crown on it.

Reactions: chickenking
Dec 23, 2011
As much as I love the enthusiasm for the concept, I must say that this concept has many flaws from closing a major attractions (as you noted) to creating possible lawsuits, and theme problems.

In a way to help your concept succeed in one way or another, I suggest this new concept.

The Forbidden Fairgrounds

The concept is essentially the same, yet applied to a better fitting area. Festa Italia is already carnival themed practically and the park has shown great success in converting it's theme into something completely different. Rides can be renamed much like your run of the mill amusement park ride names that mention bodily functions like the Vomit-Tron. They can add temporary carnival tents that are set-up as boarded up games, snack stands, etc. which can be used for scare actors to use like a scare zone. If you must close a major attraction then I suggest boarding up Apollo's Chariot as if it were broken and left to rot where it's at. But of course, this possibly can't happen but will help immensely with theme. Then they just redo the place much like a rundown carnival. FInally, on the side of the bridge closest to the tree, they can have gates set up to be 'locked' during the day as the fairgrounds are forbidden. Then they can even have a fade and broken down sign like the one for Holiday Hills yet it would say something like Scotty's Fun Fair and it would be broken looking and worn and torn.

Reactions: Griff
Sep 10, 2012
Nearby
Griff said:
chickenking said:

They can do that? COOL!!!!

May 30, 2013
Maryland
First, the lawsuit thing

If you're referencing the "seven flags" thing, it was a joke because I couldn't think of a name.

Other than that, your idea is great! That would be really creepy! (Although I would miss the clowns)

The main reason that I liked the LNM idea is because every time I ride it, I feel like the ride is about to fall apart. Maybe adding some speakers and creaking/breaking sound effects would do the trick and would be a subtle nod to enthusiasts like us who would be the ones to notice and enjoy it. I also wouldn't mind them putting some left over effects from past haunted houses into Nessie's cave. Shouldn't be too difficult. Renaming the Festa rides is brilliant.

Dec 23, 2011
Why would you miss the clowns? There would be plenty of them to go around as scare actors.

The more I think of it, I keep thinking this is nothing more than an oversized scare zone that doesn't open until later in the day.

May 30, 2013
Maryland
They could open it during the day, just without the actors and fog effects. No one is going to complain about their child seeing a sign that says vomit-tron. The biggest problem would be that the Roman rapids queue, and previous fear fair locations, are two of the park's best spots for haunted houses, and it would be difficult to make a house that would fit the theme. Essentially, you have to make Festa into the haunted house, which would be very tricky. Luckily, Festa is a dead end, but you would have to find away to limit the number of people going into Festa or it wouldn't be scary. If you make it nothing more then a typical scarezone, people would be upset at the lack of a haunted house. It's a tough balance.

May 30, 2013
Maryland
It would provide a great opportunity for the park to test your earlier concept of making the whole park a haunted house, except instead of closing everything, the rides would remain open and there could even be spinoff houses.

One things for sure, to do it right would take a lot of resources.

Dec 23, 2011
Why would there not be a clown themed house there? There are plenty of carnival and clown themed stuff to go off of to have a house back there. They've only had one house back there for a while now and it could be something like a Big Top show based house.

May 30, 2013
Maryland
Wait, what if the haunted house was advertised as "Scotty's fun parks" haunted house.

It sounds crazy, but the haunted house, could be a haunted haunted house.

I think I lost myself there.

The set could be a haunted house filled with cheesy and often broken anamitronics (how do you spell that) like a haunted house you would find at your typical traveling carnival, but then live actors provide the real scares.

It's a bit confusing but it could be very cool.

May 30, 2013
Maryland
Party Rocker said:
Why would there not be a clown themed house there? There are plenty of carnival and clown themed stuff to go off of to have a house back there. They've only had one house back there for a while now and it could be something like a Big Top show based house.

I feel like this would seem too much like fear fair and seem like a separate carnival from the rest of festa

Party Rocker said:
Why not an actual broken down fun house with the crazy mirrors and whole nine yards.

I love it

May 30, 2013
Maryland
Not only would the house take place in a broken down funhouse filled with clowns (awesome theme) but the clowns could be deformed and grotesque (extra heads, missing arms, ect.) that would be absolutely terrifying and an amazing themed house. You could have cracked mirrors with blood on them and stuff. I love the idea of houses with modern themes.

Also the story of festa Italy (now broken down carnival) could be told through a bunch of blown up news paper headlines depicting the catastrophe that happened to the park. The news papers could be posted along the bridge.

Reactions: Planeteer
Mar 30, 2010
Does anyone remember like 2006ish (the glory days of HOS) when clowns roamed all over festa. The Tradewind ride was closed in and had a crazy clown operator and went backwards still. That area was great back then.

May 30, 2013
Maryland
pandorazboxx said:
Does anyone remember like 2006ish (the glory days of HOS) when clowns roamed all over festa. The Tradewind ride was closed in and had a crazy clown operator and went backwards still. That area was great back then.

Yes! A demonic twist on all the rides. The only issue would be pleasing families during the day. The props can't be too gory and scary, or need to be put up and taken down every night

Reactions: HOSBGWFAN
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad