Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Are they saying they are pioneering CNCing wood and shipping it to the site? Kinda weird how this wasn't already industry standard. CNCing the wood and shipping it to the site should've been the practice 10 years ago.

ElToroRyan has a whole video on Intamin prefabs, the tldr version is that they're a lot more expensive than a standard woody especially with the rails. And even though everything is assembled like an erector set on site vs requiring carpentry experts to cut and shape raw lumber, track pieces still require replacements over time along with the structure, so it's not like a park can just drop the money on the build and not expect further expenses down the road.

The GG announcement seems to be a similar product, though not sure if it's the same expensive materials Intamin used or just regular wood for the track; assuming their factory is stateside that'll probably save a bundle on shipping costs vs Intamin's factory in Germany.

Prefabricated makes sense when you are repeatedly building the same thing and gain efficiencies from tooling and processes. I can see why custom coasters would see little savings going the prefab route as its basically the same labor just at a different location.

Prefabricated makes sense when you are repeatedly building the same thing and gain efficiencies from tooling and processes. I can see why custom coasters would see little savings going the prefab route as its basically the same labor just at a different location.

However, when you think about it, this mindset doesn't really apply since unless you're dealing with the exact same size flat/level piece of ground ground for duplicates (or really interesting footer sizing adjustments) each wooden coaster will still need some level of customization even when they're clones.

And to my understanding, even rides similar to others in the same chain (Grizzly and R75's cousins) aren't exact copies... Though most parks seem to want to use wood as a way to offer a cheap to construct custom ride vs cookie cutters like Skyrocket IIs or 4D FreeSpins. (Yes, I'm aware it's not an exact comparison, just pointing out that from a marketing and ROI perspective it may be more convincing for a park to go with a woody as their new ride vs a duplicate of something that may exist elsewhere in their region... Though the trend is generally towards new steel or hybrids).

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad