Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

Zachary

Administrator
Sep 23, 2009
Virginia
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This looks like an incredible addition! The menu description sounds promising and the concept art looks gorgeous! Thematically, it's definitely a bit generic for International Street, but it's still a monumental improvement over Panda Express in an Alpine-themed building.

I hope the quality is as good as the description.

I'm curious with the bar addition if the whole park is able to become a giant ABC-on venue? As it is now, there are signs everywhere defining the limits of ABC licensed premises which I've thought is kinda ridiculous considering BGW is entirely ABC-on and has been for quite some time.

I could be wrong but I thought alcohol was allowed throughout the park except Planet Snoopy now. They definitely added a lot more bars (both pop-up and permanent) in the past year.

Also, this sounds like a great addition. I agree with Zachary that I wish it fit in more with the theme of the Swiss building, but something about the aesthetic still feels very “International Street” to me.

This sound great even better with it on the dining plan can't wait to try it.

@Joe is right. Alcohol is allowed everywhere except Planet Snoopy and ride queue lines.

Interesting - maybe my memory is just bad (highly possible), but I do remember signs up last season in Victoria's, in Old Virginia and somewhere else (forgot) that stated alcohol wasn't allowed past that point.

So great that KD is finally giving options better than overpriced poor quality food from anything that wasn't a chain - I may not need to take a trip to Ashland for food (though a taco and margarita from the Mexican place was good).

It worries me that it's part of the dining plan. The dining plan seems to incentivize KD to cheapen the offerings, unless it's like Panda where the dining plan only gets you a base offering.

Reactions: Zachary
It worries me that it's part of the dining plan. The dining plan seems to incentivize KD to cheapen the offerings, unless it's like Panda where the dining plan only gets you a base offering.

I don't feel this way personally. In my opinion, some of the park's best offerings are on the dining plan - like the hand-carved meat platter at Country Kitchen or the offerings at Border Cafe. I actually can't think of an entree I like at the park that isn't on the dining plan.

I was impressed with the food at Carowinds last summer high quality and good portions and included in the dining plan so it's definitely doable without lowering the standards.

Reactions: Zachary
I don't feel this way personally. In my opinion, some of the park's best offerings are on the dining plan - like the hand-carved meat platter at Country Kitchen or the offerings at Border Cafe. I actually can't think of an entree I like at the park that isn't on the dining plan.

The better offerings that were at Outer Hanks (e.g. crab cakes) have been seriously downgraded and burrito portions have shrank for more expensive ingredients. Country Kitchen uses lower cost cuts of meats so I wouldn't worry as much for there.

My concern here is if they are trying to use higher cost proteins, it could be challenging to balance portions or quality with costs. Dining plans have a totally different pricing and cost model than a'la carte.

I could also be wrong but I still believe it's true you can't walk around with alcoholic beverages and have to stay at the place they were purchased.

That isn't true at BGW so unless KD has a different license than BGW I don't think that's true. At least at BGW the entire park is one license instead of having different license for the various areas. This is what BGW used to have and was why you couldn't take beer from one area to another until about 10 years ago.

The restaurant description reminds me of an "In-House" version of the "Chopt" franchise. Salads and grain bowls with or without animal protein. Sounds like a another healthy alternative to the fried and carb heavy offerings.

I'm willing to give the new chef a chance. I think the upcoming season will give him an opportunity to strut his stuff. Since he came to the park this past summer, he only could influence the food offerings but so much. The most influence he might have had was during Winterfest. Even then, serious food overhauls usually take 6-8 months of advanced planning. He did not start working for KD until mid-late July.

Don't forget we have the new restaurant in the Waterpark to look forward to as well.

That isn't true at BGW so unless KD has a different license than BGW I don't think that's true. At least at BGW the entire park is one license instead of having different license for the various areas. This is what BGW used to have and was why you couldn't take beer from one area to another until about 10 years ago.

Actually, just did a licensee search on the VA ABC site and found that each location in the park (KD, not BGW) is licensed separately. Thus, you'll notice signs stating you can't bring alcohol past certain parts as that'd be taking alcohol off-premise.

Last edited:
Reactions: BGWnut
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad