Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Okay My Mom was 8 when Busch Gardens opened And she still lived in this area. She told me before Loch Ness Monster Came This was Her favorite ride. My Aunt Caye And Mom know a lot about old Busch Gardens And I never stop Asking Them Questions About it... Anyway , If I may I'd like to tell a little Story. Okay so here is when it starts before BGW was built.... My Mom's Uncle was Helping build BGW. His Job was to move land from the Manbuilt Rhine to other areas in the park. That is why there is a huge ledge before the Rhine. Dirt was Piled Up. Anyway Before BGW opened There was a construction workers day. So my Mom and Her sisters went with there Uncle. Do you know that very artful water fountain beside the Carousel... Well My Aunt Caye was Looking at it (she was 5 at the time), And My Grandma And my Mom's Uncle Left Her to Let my Mom and Aunt Denny ride the carousel. So My Grandma and Great Uncle forgot Her. So she found security, and was taken to the lost children building in New France. My Aunt Was the First Lost child in BGW History!!!!! But all's well that ends well and My Grandma Came and picked Her up, and they enjoyed the rest of their day "There At Busch Gardens." HAHA!... Seriously true story though. :)

[split] Glissade

The wife was going through some old family photos and stumbled across the two photos below. She didn't recognize them , but I did. The date on the back: June 1980. I apologize for the poor quality, but the pictures are a bit faded, and the scanner had a hard time with them as well. Enjoy.

Attachments

• glissade-1.jpg
    glissade-1.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 187
  • glissade-2.jpg
    glissade-2.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 170
Celticdog, thanks a ton for the awesome pictures! The last one is actually of Die Wildkatze though- mind posting it to this thread? The Die Wildkatze shot is probably the most notable one in that collection to be honest.

Just found these incredible shots.
glissade_a_769.jpg

glissade.jpg

From the back of an old Glissade postcard:

"The Glissade is a German steel roller coaster. It travels an intricate system of twists and turns at speeds up to sixty miles per hour."

I didn't post the picture of Glissade from the card, because it's the same one that Connor posted above, minus the green border.

If Glissade closed in 1985, and Wild Izzy didn't open until 1996, does anyone know what occupied this land for that decade-long time span?

I've tried to remember what was there, and haven't yet managed to do so. Having come across no photos of the area from that era, I don't think it was anything particularly noteworthy...

Reactions: jornor and Mushroom
Joe said:
If Glissade closed in 1985, and Wild Izzy didn't open until 1996, does anyone know what occupied this land for that decade-long time span?

Nothing.

It was pretty much walled off that whole time.

Reactions: jornor and Mushroom
halfabee said:
I've tried to remember what was there, and haven't yet managed to do so.  Having come across no photos of the area from that era, I don't think it was anything particularly noteworthy...

I know there was a building that housed animatronic dinosaurs and you could dig for fossils in this area for a least a year or two shortly before wild izzy!

luseendesi said:
I know there was a building that housed animatronic dinosaurs and you could dig for fossils in this area for a least a year or two shortly before wild izzy!
Considering this forum had a panic attack when there was a coke ad outside of DarKastle I can only imagine the outrage when there were dinosaurs on the brim of Oktoberfest...

luseendesi said:
halfabee said:
I've tried to remember what was there, and haven't yet managed to do so.  Having come across no photos of the area from that era, I don't think it was anything particularly noteworthy...

So BGW had dinosaurs before KD?

Reactions: jornor
I was very young, but if I remember correctly it may have only been like half a dozen and they were just housed in a warehouse on the edge of Oktoberfest in the area in question. I remember being upset it was closing but then found out we were getting a roller coaster and forgot all about it!

I was in college in the early 2000's and went to Busch Gardens many times. I don't remember this at all. Does this ring a bell for anyone else? I don't recall anything being in that area before Wild Izzy.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad