Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
RE: Giardino Magico (2010 to Present)

The only good Illuminights thing. Too bad they don't do it in France. You know...since it's French Circus, and not Italian Circus.

Zachary, are you able to tell us anything about possible changes to the show this year?

From what I understand a husband and wife acrobatics team with a routine involving a vertical pole (read: pole dancing) was the original (and as far as I know current) plan. Honestly, I hope we're at a point in society where people can look past how it originated and actually see it as an art form like any other form of dance. That said, if I was in the park's position, I don't know that I'd be betting money on that- especially not in VA.

Reactions: Julia and Planeteer

No, I don't think we're at that point. I think if you put a pole dancing routine in at Busch Gardens, you'd be dealing with a potential exodus of revenue.

Reactions: Julia

^
True. But also the potential for an equal or greater increase in revenue at the same time. Even with all of the haters,there even more who love being "naughty" at Howl-O-Scream. Question is, do they mind it in the summer? Lol!

Re: Giardino Magico (2010 to Present)

In a way, I think it's awesome that the park is attempting to do stuff that might rattle cages, the unfortunate thing that the park is located the Bible Belt border.

The adult entertainment audience (not to be confused with the "adult entertainment" audience) is small when compared to the family one. One clear example of this is movie grosses for R-rated films.

Biggest movie ever: Avatar (PG-13) 706 million (domestic).
Biggest R-rated movie ever: Passion of the Christ, 370 million (domestic).

Overall, Passion comes in 23rd place in films and it's a movie about Jesus. You've got to go all the way down to 57th to find another R-rated movie on the top-grossing list (Matrix Reloaded).

The point of all that box office history is this: families spend more money in entertainment (1) and people in America are a lot more mild-mannered than many seem to realize (2).

What all that has to say about the prospects of pole dancing maybe be up for interpretation. I guess it would depend on the content and how it was presented. If it looked anything like that kind of pole-dancing, however, I don' think it would turn out well.

Reactions: Zachary

I doubt it will be anything that had any base for content objection, but the fact that it will be enough. That show has also always been a more grown up experience with artistic dancing compared to Ireland or Oktoberfest.

I once heard someone tell me they thought one of the scenes in Miracles (Angels Among Us) was rather risque with the choreography. I watched the scene, and then I understood how someone could perceive it as "suggestive". The difference is, that was a Christmas show. If they had people talking about that at Christmas Town when it wasn't really that evident, imagine what they'll say in the summer. Either way, I would hate to work at guest relations now. LOL

Reactions: Julia and Zachary

People are on the look-out now, too. Something you might have gotten away with in the 1990's might now raise eyebrows. The more conservative types out there feel like their sensibilities are under attack and now almost look for things that are risque.

I mean, look at what's going on with Virtus on the State Seal.

I'm actually shocked there's still the boobs statue in the park (or is that gone now?).

Reactions: Zachary

Statue is still there, at least until guests want it dressed in a burka.

Giardino was my fave Illuminights show, too, and if the vertical pole routine is like others I've seen, it should be pretty eye-catching (NOT in a suggestive way). I do hope guests won't see anything objectionable.

You guys are too funny re: the Seal.

Reactions: Julia and Planeteer
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad