Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Apr 17, 2017
Do Gerstlauer Eurofighter and Infinity coasters always have a block brake directly before the lift hill? I know that Mystery Mine and Smiler do because of the long winding track that proceeds it, but even on the smaller Eurofighters there's a lengthy straightaway of track with drive tires right before the lift base. The only coaster from them that doesn't (AFAIK) is HangTime with its station directly before the bottom of the lift.

Mar 19, 2015
That is the way a Gerstlauer vertical lift works, they all need a small block brake at the base of the lift. The train rolls forward to the base of the lift, stops for a few seconds for the chain dog (the T shape) to engage with the "catch car" on the chain, then it proceeds up the lift hill. The perfect video showing that process is here:

Reactions: Zachary

ControlsEE

I probably should be working...
Oct 2, 2018
I believe most vertical lift coasters use this method of chain lift. Intamin also uses this on their's, they just often have a redundant chain.

Reactions: warfelg
Apr 17, 2017
That is the way a Gerstlauer vertical lift works, they all need a small block brake at the base of the lift. The train rolls forward to the base of the lift, stops for a few seconds for the chain dog (the T shape) to engage with the "catch car" on the chain, then it proceeds up the lift hill. The perfect video showing that process is here:

Once the train stops at the base of the lift is it now in the "lift" block or is the preceding block brake what stops it?

May 3, 2011
Richmond, Va
I'm not exactly sure because I haven't operated one before, but I believe it is apart of the lift block. Also could be wrong with this, but if the following block is occupied, the train will wait at the bottom until the next block clears as opposed to stopping in an uncomfortable position. Again this is speculation from watching the Knotts Berry Farm webcams of Hangtime.

I also find the anti-rollback noise reduction system is interesting in the video above. Kinda allows the ARB's to glide across the top instead of slamming down across each tooth.

Apr 17, 2017
I'm not exactly sure because I haven't operated one before, but I believe it is apart of the lift block. Also could be wrong with this, but if the following block is occupied, the train will wait at the bottom until the next block clears as opposed to stopping in an uncomfortable position. Again this is speculation from watching the Knotts Berry Farm webcams of Hangtime.

I also find the anti-rollback noise reduction system is interesting in the video above. Kinda allows the ARB's to glide across the top instead of slamming down across each tooth.
Right before the collision on the Smiler the train stopped at the top of lift 1 because the empty train ahead had valleyed before reaching the brakes for lift 2. That was, until the override was done....

May 3, 2011
Richmond, Va
I should have added that I don't believe the vertical lifts will stop at the top if the next block is occupied, but would rather stop at the bottom. Lift 1 on Smiler isn't vertical and Evacs would be much easier and stopping would be far more comfortable in that position. But, again I'm unsure if this is true for the vertical lifts.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad