Login or Register to Hide This Ad
Jun 3, 2010
Newport News, VA
With Cedar Point, it's pretty much all winds. You get some real gusts blowing off of the lake. Is there any other park out there that has as many coasters valley as the Point? (At least, now that Batman and Robin: The Chiller is gone!)

Reactions: b.mac

Ice

This is the famous Budweiser beer. We know of no b
Silver Donor
Jan 5, 2018
Baltimore, MD
I'm curious. How exactly do you retrieve a vallied train?

Ice

Silver Donor
Jan 5, 2018
Baltimore, MD
How does that winching work? Is it ground based or is there a maintenance vehicle designed specifically for track-based stuff?

Zachary

BGW Eggspert
Administrator
Sep 23, 2009
Alternatively they'll lift the train off the track one car at a time with a crain. Given the location of this valley, that seems far more likely to me.

Reactions: Nicole

Ice

Silver Donor
Jan 5, 2018
Baltimore, MD
Good Lord that sounds expensive. You'd think they would have a better system, but I guess it really is quite rare so it's not worth it to fully prepared for that situation.

Ice

Silver Donor
Jan 5, 2018
Baltimore, MD
Maybe looking across all coasters running now yes, but most individual coasters can go their lifespan without a valley. So having a system in place for each ride when it may happen once over 20 years or so is nearly pointless.

Jonesta6

Glumble
Feb 14, 2019
Good Lord that sounds expensive. You'd think they would have a better system, but I guess it really is quite rare so it's not worth it to fully prepared for that situation.

I'm guessing they either have a decent sized crane on site they could use or have good relations with a local rental company for one.

Though it may be kind of a hassle, taking apart trains is a fairly regular maintenance procedure (at least for winter according to a few videos and whatnot that I'm too lazy to reference here), so it shouldn't be too much of an issue other than downtime.

Edit - just saw the picture of them taking it apart, so there's that...

Last edited:
Reactions: Mushroom

b.mac

Indiana Beach Vibe
May 14, 2011
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
You get everyone off, and winch it back.

Maybe if it's right before the brakes. The only way that train is getting brought back is in pieces.

Also @Joe, it was 100% winds.

@RollyCoaster is also right, this is way more common than you think. Outside of CP coasters I am aware that have done the banana, saddle, valley, stoppie mc-gonomo are:
  • Nitro
  • Bizarro
  • Dominator
  • Diamondback
  • Hydra
  • Twisted Timbers

This is just a list I can verify myself, @Unagi could probably triple it.

Reactions: Nicole and Mushroom
Login or Register to Hide This Ad