Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
I would be the first one to tell you that I don't know anything about construction, but I do wonder about the scattered nature of assembly here. Also notice that all of these structures, none of them have any bolts in them yet they're just sitting there.

Attachments

• 20220725_144906.jpg
    20220725_144906.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 27
  • 20220725_144942.jpg
    20220725_144942.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 27
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Direct Link to Embedded Media Source

I can't help but feel like Fun Spot really dropped the ball on the timeline for this thing. Optimistically we could be looking at, what, a late September opening? Realistically, with the pace of construction so far, October or November? Just feels like it's sorta being setup for failure. I honestly think there's probably a good argument for just delaying it until 2023 at this point.

Last edited:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Direct Link to Embedded Media Source

I can't help but feel like Fun Spot really dropped the ball on the timeline for this thing. Optimistically we could be looking at, what, a late September opening? Realistically, with the pace of construction so far, October or November? Just feels like it's sorta being setup for failure. I honestly think there's probably a good argument for just delaying it until 2023 at this point.

A lot of blame being thrown around between the County and Fun Spot on the whole planning submission for the ride and stuff involved with permits.

From what I understand of the situation Fun Spot hasn't tried working with the county from the beginning about the project and continually gets delayed whenever the county notifies them of other things they need to do in order to meet the requirements for building the ride.

A lot of blame being thrown around between the County and Fun Spot on the whole planning submission for the ride and stuff involved with permits.

From what I understand of the situation Fun Spot hasn't tried working with the county from the beginning about the project and continually gets delayed whenever the county notifies them of other things they need to do in order to meet the requirements for building the ride.
I can check in with a friend that works near there but this isn’t far off at all.

I can check in with a friend that works near there but this isn’t far off at all.
The issue is the county and b itchy neighbors making unreasonable demands. John Jr says the county has cost them 5 million thus far between creating delays and making demands.

Reactions: ST Dog
The issue is the county and b itchy neighbors making unreasonable demands. John Jr says the county has cost them 5 million thus far between creating delays and making demands.

I think you should take his claim with a GIANT grain of salt. The public record tells a VERY different story.

Fun Spot purchased land that was not zoned for what they wanted to do, they made no effort to change the zoning, they announced a huge coaster that was in blatant violation of the zoning ordinances present, and then they went all shocked Pikachu when the county told them "hey, your plan is in blatant violation of the law, we gotta do something about this."

That began the totally reasonable, standard, multi-month-long process of Fun Spot and the county working together with local residents to change the law to allow the coaster that Fun Spot randomly announced with no preparation whatsoever to actually be built.

I can point to three SUPER OBVIOUS zoning waivers that ArieForce One needed from day one (height, setback, and fencing). If anyone at Fun Spot had taken five minutes to actually read the zoning ordinances for the property they bought, they would have known this immediately. The fact that Fun Spot failed to consider any of this is, frankly, mind-boggling to me.

So yeah, in reality, the county records show how accomodating the municipality has been to Fun Spot despite (again, this is all documented) Fun Spot's continued unwillingness to take even the tiniest bit of initiative.

I think you should take his claim with a GIANT grain of salt. The public record tells a VERY different story.

Fun Spot purchased land that was not zoned for what they wanted to do, they made no effort to change the zoning, they announced a huge coaster that was in blatant violation of the zoning ordinances present, and then they went all shocked Pikachu when the county told them "hey, your plan is in blatant violation of the law, we gotta do something about this."

That began the totally reasonable, standard, multi-month-long process of Fun Spot and the county working together with local residents to change the law to allow the coaster that Fun Spot randomly announced with no preparation whatsoever to actually be built.

I can point to three SUPER OBVIOUS zoning waivers that ArieForce One needed from day one (height, setback, and fencing). If anyone at Fun Spot had taken five minutes to actually read the zoning ordinances for the property they bought, they would have known this immediately. The fact that Fun Spot failed to consider any of this is, frankly, mind-boggling to me.

So yeah, in reality, the county records show how accomodating the municipality has been to Fun Spot despite (again, this is all documented) Fun Spot's continued unwillingness to take even the tiniest bit of initiative.
Didn't see much accommodating during the county commission meetings.

Reactions: ST Dog
Didn't see much accommodating during the county commission meetings.
It is very accommodating of the country to allow this to still move forward. I’ve been apart of forcing 5 plans to shut down for not taking the proper steps. FS has done a MAJOR faux pa here and are lucky the county is letting them build this still. I don’t expect the county to work with them much in the future in terms of making things happen.

Credit Doctor Coaster and the Georgia Coaster Connection

Complete might be a stretch.
I had hoped between the post from chubakra and the Doctor Coaster's update the track for the dive would be installed.
Maybe chubakra's post was closer to real time than I thought. Maybe weather delays (lots of afternoon thunderstorms here a few hours west).

Nice to see the quad down taking shape.
But no work on the Outside Bank (are the footers even poured?), Maybe the first of the Double Up structure in place (near the transfer track).
I am hopeful for things to pickup since this was the last week the park is open all week. Weekends only now til the week of Thanksgiving.

Seeing how Fun Spot operates as a whole - I see them opening this the second RMC hands Fun Spot the keys. They opened Mineblower 3 days after the track was completed and the station was not finished. Not to mention it had a lot of downtime its first few weeks. Fun Spot rushes everything that they do.

Good. Expensive lesson learned.
What lesson is that?

That the county isn't really interested in the success of a project?
That a $13 million project is going to cost you 33% more because of unrelated government imposed requirements?

Why was the parking lot change required? Not saying it's not a good change, but what does the coaster, far from the old lot have to do with this change?
Why was the drainage fine before but now isn't?

Seems to me the lesson is find a new location and move the park out of Fayette County.
Take all the jobs and money spent by visitors to a place that wants you in the community.

Last edited:
The lesson is don’t start work without your ducks in a row. Fun Spot started work without things properly done. As a former city planner I feel no sympathy for this situation.

Like, I’m sorry but blaming the county for this rubs me as really wrong. The park now has a higher capacity, which requires more parking and more ADA parking based on minimum spot requirements. The park will now feature more impermeable surfaces which requires better drainage and management systems. They are now responsible for overseeing more land in general.

To say it’s the counties fault for the park not following and getting proper changes done is just wrong. Saying they should just take down an entire park and relocate an entire park because they didn’t go about proper permitting and zoning changes comes off wrong.

Sorry. Fun Spot Atlanta screwed up. It cost them. Too bad. Next time they want to expand they should go about the right process of getting it done.

Last edited:
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad