Forum Rules (Last Update: 02/13/2015)

Login or Register to Hide This Ad
Aug 17, 2010
RE: Rules Discussion Thread

I don't think that applies here.

Your argument is fallacious because you're comparing two things that are not comparable as if they are.  In your home, you are on your property, and you are the owner.  On this forum, you are not an owner or property holder.  You are a member of a public forum.

A more proper analogy would be that you are in a town that has a law pertaining to the mitigation of insults.  Someone walks past you and slips a note in your pocket calling you something insulting.  You can take it to the police, but it's up to them what action they take from there.

And while we're on the topic of private messages, you can probably best resolve this situation through that medium with an admin.

Joe

#RIPVolcano
Feb 12, 2011
Near Richmond
BuschDominion.com

I chose to make this a public issue because I wanted to see the thoughts of other forum members. I respect Zachary's opinion and I understand that he has the ultimate choice. The last thing I want to do is call out anyone in particular, bit I did want this to be something to be resolved as a community. I agree, my analogy was poor, and I chose my home because it is private, as is the messaging system. I was not referring to how my home is my property.

Anyway, this has been a good debate, so I think we shouldn't let it go much farther to the point where it beats itself to death. That said, I still stand by my opinion. Course, this isn't my site, so that choice obviously isn't up to me.

Jul 22, 2010

Joe said:
What exactly qualifies as "extreme?" If an insult were to be addressed if it were made on the boards, I would like to know it was handled similarly if it were sent to me via a message- which actually makes the insult seem more personal.
Per moderator. As said plenty of times it is looked at on a case by case as well as who has caused trouble in the past and in what manner.

Joe

#RIPVolcano
Feb 12, 2011
Near Richmond
BuschDominion.com

I'm sorry for bringing it up again, but the reason this was brought up, which I should have mentioned earlier, is because I'm not the only one who has received them. This isn't really about individuals getting particular messages. It's about users who have sent multiple abusive messages to multiple users, who are sending these messages with the purpose of causing or increasing conflict. I understand that if it's a one off thing, it can be ignored, but what I've seen along with other people is that these aren't isolated messages. Part (but not all) of the reason that the forums are so conflicted right now is because there are a few individuals who are causing chaos on purpose. That's the intent of the PMs and that's why I thought it should be addressed by the staff.

Feb 9, 2013

I've had many encounters to what Joe is describing. Most of them I've just been able to get over, and move on, but some of them came from repeat offenders, so I just forwarded it to a mod, and asked them to take care of it, hopefully they did...

I'm just going to list a couple examples:

Someone told me I never should of joined these forums because I don't contribute at all, and no one likes me.

Another person told me after we had gotten in a debate on a topic, on these forums, that I needed to be "fixed," or else I would never be good on the forums. Now this wasn't constructive criticism, this was insulting arguments directed towards me, listing out the "problems" he/she had with me in a very rude way.

There's a couple more that I don't feel like mentioning at this time, but there is more.

Now, I just ignored these, deleted them, and never thought about it again. But I was astonished to see that people thought it was okay to send messages like this to me, knowing I could just as easily forward them to a mod.

Dec 23, 2011

I just thought to put my two cents in, I have gotten threatening PMs before; however, because of the user and their typical behavior I did not see any cause or need to be worried. On the other hand there have been some by others that did need addressing.

Like people keep saying, it is mainly a case-by-case situation and how you feel about it. If you really feel some concern, I suggest bringing it to the attention of the admins; however, if you do not have any issues things should be fine. It really does depend on the severity of the situation as well.

That being said, I think there should be more set standards than just case-by-case.

May 3, 2011
Richmond, Va

If you ever get a threatening or insulting PM, I suggest forwarding it to the site staff no matter the severity. We will probably tell you to ignore the user, but this way we can keep track of what is happening in places we can't see and for us to keep track of it.

Dec 23, 2011

Franco said:
Checking in here, I have not gotten any threatening or insulting PMs.  Feel like I'm missing out...
Don't worry Franco, you're just one of the popular members that everyone loves :p

Reactions: Franco

Nicole

Administrator
Jul 22, 2013
Arlington, VA
RE: Forum Rules (Last Update: 3/24/2014)

Responding to Shane's suggestion that everyone use Imgur, I just wanted to point out that my office blocks all of those images. So, obviously, I am not going to use that particular solution.

Shane

ParkFans Founder
Silver Donor
Jun 2, 2011
Raleigh, NC
parkfans.net

I'm not saying that you can't use the forum's attachment feature or that you shouldn't, I'm just providing alternatives to avoid some of the downsides to using the system.

May 3, 2011
Richmond, Va

I would like to put out a friendly reminder that our forum rules apply to private messages.

However, because these messages are, well, private, we do not search them unless we have probable cause. However, if these pm's are sent to us, we can moderate them and give the necessary consequences. This includes any message that can come across as aggressive of any kind.

We highly suggest you forward us these messages if your are receiving them.

Thank you
~ParkFans Staff

Nicole

Administrator
Jul 22, 2013
Arlington, VA

I hate to sound like a kindergarten teacher, but in light of several recent posts, I want to remind everyone about a serious forum rule. Violations do more than make you look bad. What y'all post can undermine the reputation and credibility of the entire site.

Inappropriate content of any kind is prohibited. What constitutes inappropriate content is judged by site staff and includes but is not limited to the following:

2. Talk of illegal activity of any kind

Thanks!

nic

Sep 8, 2010
Charlottesville

I think there is a permissions issue there. I can't view them (but there could be a reason for that :p)

Login or Register to Hide This Ad