Forum Rules (Last Update: 02/13/2015)

Login or Register to Hide This Ad
Aug 17, 2010
RE: Rules Discussion Thread

I do try to report comments when I see some that I feel are unnecessary.  In the case of the Americana thread, I didn't report the post because I didn't think it violated any rules, and it still at least tangentially related to the topic.  It is unfortunate that the thread spiraled out of control for a little while, but I think that some posts need to be addressed by members of the community, and I think it's important for moderation to come from all of us, not just the forum team.

Sep 29, 2009

I couldn't agree more, Franco. I have to admit that I am likely to act on an impulse when I see things start to get out of control. You prove a good point though. Sometimes, the best thing to do is to just talk it out. If the administrators saw nothing but the "he said/she said" stuff for two whole pages, without anyone trying to get back on track, then I think someone needs to say something. If that does not resolve the problem, then some editing might be necessary. I'm glad to hear everyone's view on this matter, because I personally don't want to watch this to become just another fansite that gets laughed at for lack of maturity.

Zachary

𝓡oyal 𝓜ango 𝓒réme Frappuccino Survivor
Administrator
Sep 23, 2009
Newport News, VA
twitter.com

Cody said:
I reported 2 comments on that thread and Zachary posted that no rules were broken...
Because there really weren't any broken. I told people to settle down but I can't stand over you all with a stick and beat you to confirm to what I think is civil. People collected the pieces and got the conversation rolling in the right direction again- that's what should happen.

Reactions: Joe and Franco

Zachary

Administrator
Sep 23, 2009
Newport News, VA
twitter.com

No worries- I certainly wasn't saying you did anything wrong by reporting them- if there's ever a question, asking it is a lot better than staying silent, so thanks.

Reactions: Planeteer
Aug 17, 2010

Not to ignore Joe's question, as I'm sure one of the admins will answer, but there's been a lot of attention given here to the Americana thread. Today's real travesty to me was the in-park advertisement thread.  Evan was forced to close the thread because people wouldn't stop posting stupid cow puns.  He made the right call, but it was really sad for me to see a discussion which just yesterday was quite fruitful be terminated because we couldn't control ourselves.  That instance actually was a violation of forum rules, and I hope never to see a conversation shut down because of something like that again.

Ben

Apr 12, 2012
Virginia Beach, Virginia

Yeah I agree Franco, I was just reading that thread and I was enjoying the discussion for a good while.

Do the mods/admins give warnings to people who always seem to drift threads off topic? Because IMO its becoming a pretty big problem, this isn't facebook.

Joe

#RIPVolcano
Feb 12, 2011
Near Richmond
BuschDominion.com

I agree as well. I'm sad to say I joined in on that cow bandwagon, which I now regret. In the future I would hope the mods could just delete the offending posts, tell everyone to stop, and be done. I find it very shameful that the thread came to where it did.

Anyway- my question. Anyone got an answer?

Zachary

Administrator
Sep 23, 2009
Newport News, VA
twitter.com

Joe said:
Question: are insults made via PM punishable? There is some crazy stuff going on in the forums lately.
Only in extreme and/or widespread cases- most all PM issues can be solved by adding the person to your ignore list.

Joe

#RIPVolcano
Feb 12, 2011
Near Richmond
BuschDominion.com

What exactly qualifies as "extreme?" If an insult were to be addressed if it were made on the boards, I would like to know it was handled similarly if it were sent to me via a message- which actually makes the insult seem more personal.

May 3, 2011
Richmond, Va

Joe said:
I agree as well. I'm sad to say I joined in on that cow bandwagon, which I now regret. In the future I would hope the mods could just delete the offending posts, tell everyone to stop, and be done.
I will be cleaning up that thread this evening and will let it reopen. Hopefully after a day, it's all out of everyone's system.

Reactions: Franco and Joe

Joe

#RIPVolcano
Feb 12, 2011
Near Richmond
BuschDominion.com

Since this is just a discussion thread, I would like to point out that the forum rules do not exclude Private Messages from any of the general rules. Therefore, I think any insult made over PM should be equally punishable as a publicly-made insult.

Zachary

Administrator
Sep 23, 2009
Newport News, VA
twitter.com

Just because it can be doesn't mean it will be. Everything is case by case- especially when it comes to private messages. We always try to find the best way to fix the problem before we have to act. In the case of private messages, the fix is extremely easy.

Reactions: Parkgoer

Zachary

Administrator
Sep 23, 2009
Newport News, VA
twitter.com

Well, assuming it's between two people, whoever is unhappy about it can simply add the other person to their ignore list. One click fix.

Joe

#RIPVolcano
Feb 12, 2011
Near Richmond
BuschDominion.com

If somebody breaks the law at my house, I could just kick them out and embrace ignorance. However the smarter thing to do would be to have an authoritive figure take action on this person so they learn their lesson and it doesn't happen again.

I think the same thing applies here.

Login or Register to Hide This Ad