Forum Rules (Last Update: 02/13/2015)

Login or Register to Hide This Ad

Shane

ParkFans Founder
Silver Donor
Jun 2, 2011
2,908
5,008
113
Raleigh, NC
parkfans.net
RE: Forum Rules (Last Update: 7/15/2013)

The following changes have been made to our rules:

Shane said:
We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to change, modify, add, or delete portions of these Rules and Terms of Use at any time without further notice.
This statement was added for obvious reasons.

Shane said:
For content that is covered by intellectual property rights, like photos and videos (IP content), you specifically give us the following permission, subject to change: you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use any IP content that you post on or in connection with ParkFans Network (IP License) indefinitely. This IP License does not end when you delete your IP content or your account. Should you choose not to give ParkFans Network these rights your IP content should not be uploaded to our servers but stored on your own private server or other content storage service.
This rule was added because many users upload photos and videos to the ParkFans Network. This "content" is being stored on servers that ParkFans Network pays for. This being said we are paying to host your content on the internet. We do not have any problem or qualm in doing this, but we feel that the ParkFans Network should benefit from your content. We have often spoken about our Wiki project that is slow moving but the hopeful plan will be that your uploaded content will be used to flesh out and improve the wiki. For example if you have a killer awesome photo of the LochNess Monster and we want to add it to the LochNess Monester Wiki page we can do so without needing to contact you and ask your permission because we already have your permission in its very presence on our servers. So there is nothing malicious here we are just trying to improve the community.

All that being said, if you do not agree with the new terms the ParkFans Network is giving you until Wednesday September 11th, 2013 at 11:59PM to remove any content that you do not want to give us the rights to. Effectively any content uploaded at and after 12:00AM on Thursday September 12th falls under the new terms.

Should you have any questions please feel free to post it in the Rules Discussion thread here or send me a direct message.
 

Shane

ParkFans Founder
Silver Donor
Jun 2, 2011
2,908
5,008
113
Raleigh, NC
parkfans.net
RE: Rules Discussion Thread

Shane said:
For content that is covered by intellectual property rights, like photos and videos (IP content), you specifically give us the following permission, subject to change: you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use any IP content that you post on or in connection with ParkFans Network (IP License) indefinitely. This IP License does not end when you delete your IP content or your account. Should you choose not to give ParkFans Network these rights your IP content should not be uploaded to our servers but stored on your own private server or other content storage service.
Shane said:
[...] f you do not agree with the new terms the ParkFans Network is giving you until Wednesday September 11th, 2013 at 11:59PM to remove any content that you do not want to give us the rights to. Effectively any content uploaded at and after 12:00AM on Thursday September 12th falls under the new terms.


Just wanted to remind everyone that this date came and went. I meant to post something on the 11th as a reminder that it was going to go into effect but alas I forgot. So I just wanted to let everyone know that this is your last call to remove any photos, videos, posts, drawings, concepts, cute and cuddly cat-pics, or anything else that could be considered intellectual property (IP.) At 10PM tonight if any IP is still there on the forums ParkFans Network essentially owns it. You are welcome to remove the content and link out to your content on a different website if you don't want to provide us with these rights. Shout with questions.

Thanks
 
  • Like
Reactions: Party Rocker

Zachary

𝓡oyal 𝓜ango 𝓒réme Frappuccino Survivor
Administrator
Sep 23, 2009
13,002
33,039
113
Newport News, VA
twitter.com
RE: Forum Rules (Last Update: 9/25/2013)

The forum rules have just received a massive update. I would highlight the changes, but they've essentially been completely rewritten and reformatted. Hopefully everything is a bit more fluid and concise now. As always, if you have any questions or comments, either message one of the administrators or address it in the Forum Rules Discussion Thread, here.
 
Dec 23, 2011
7,176
5,067
113
RE: Rules Discussion Thread

Zachary said:
The forum rules have just received a massive update. I would highlight the changes, but they've essentially been completely rewritten and reformatted. Hopefully everything is a bit more fluid and concise now. As always, if you have any questions or comments, either message one of the administrators or address it in the Forum Rules Discussion Thread, here.
Were the changes solely formatting or were there actual rule additions/subtractions made?
 

Shane

ParkFans Founder
Silver Donor
Jun 2, 2011
2,908
5,008
113
Raleigh, NC
parkfans.net
RE: Rules Discussion Thread

Ok, so this is not a rule per-say but just general forum etiquette. I am see all to often people quoting the post directly above their post. Please don't do this. There needs to be at least one post in-between the post you quote and your post if you are planning on using the quote function. It is unnecessary to essentially repeat what the person directly above you said. The purpose of the quote function is to point out something that was said earlier in a thread that you would like to reference. Please only quote the post directly above your post if it is absolutely necessary, like if you are responding to one specific sentence or statement in their post. You would quote just that sentence, not the whole post.

Additionally, if you are quoting a post that contains another quote, please remove the quote within a quote.

Overall both of these things are sloppy and appear unprofessional creating an unnecessary wall of text. I've spent a lot of time editing out these unnecessary quotes and just want to make everyone aware of the expectations going forward.

Thanks
 
Sep 29, 2009
2,818
7,432
113
RE: Rules Discussion Thread

I'm not sure if this is exactly the right thread to post this in, but I think it relates closely enough. Over and over, I hear the moderators of these forums restate the importance of the report button. With that being said, when I look at threads such as "New Event, Americana", I can see this website almost mocking the mannerisms that you would expect to find on Themepark Review. I don't mean to knock that site by any means(I do enjoy reading some of the trip reports.), but they have a tendency to act very immature in situations like this. Maybe, in the future, when you see things getting out of hand, you should hit the report button. I just wanted to hear the opinions of the site moderators on whether or not they think that this would be a good temporary solution.
 
Jun 22, 2013
963
2,252
93
Tampa, FL
www.wdwtourcompany.com
RE: Rules Discussion Thread

I can't speak for all of the moderators/admins, but most usually back me up everytime I say this:

I don't read every post on the forums. I simply don't have the time. I skim through what I can looking for obvious spam, arguments, etc. But outside of that, I don't go looking to delete/edit posts. I assume if nothing is being reported, then there must not be any issues with the posts.

As always, if you feel there is an issue with a post (spam, attack, off topic, or anything against forum rules) please use the report feature so it can be reviewed by one of the site staff.
 
Dec 23, 2011
7,176
5,067
113
RE: Rules Discussion Thread

Is there some type of rubric or system used to review posts? Because as Zachary said, he felt that the post did not break any rules yet many of us were all still upset about the post irregardless. I think if such a group of people are upset, some action should be taken. Also, it ruined that portion of the thread to the part where everyone was trying to explain the problem and took up pages and was very distracting to those who probably wanted to discuss the topic at hand.
 
Sep 8, 2010
1,470
1,735
113
Charlottesville
RE: Rules Discussion Thread

Party Rocker said:
Is there some type of rubric or system used to review posts? Because as Zachary said, he felt that the post did not break any rules yet many of us were all still upset about the post irregardless. I think if such a group of people are upset, some action should be taken. Also, it ruined that portion of the thread to the part where everyone was trying to explain the problem and took up pages and was very distracting to those who probably wanted to discuss the topic at hand.
Yeah, they look at the post and go "Yup, looks fine to me" or "Uh oh, we should fix this". It's a pretty simple system.
 
May 3, 2011
2,249
3,120
113
Richmond, Va
RE: Rules Discussion Thread

I will say how I personally go about reported posts. When I read the reported post and the reason, I look at the poster and who reported the post. I go back and read 1 or 2 posts before the reported post, then I read a few posts after that to get a general idea on the situation (this is of course, if I haven't been reading that thread).

Now for personal attacks that are felt, I generally will delete whatever the attacking post is if the person that feels they're being attacked reports it. If someone else reports it saying that they feel that person that is not them self is being attacked, then I generally leave it. Now in the person that made the attacking posts realizes what they have done or is asking how it was attacking, I will leave it for others to learn to go about the same mistake and we can all learn.

Then also if a moderator comes in and recognizes and comments on the situation afterwards, I will leave it as well.
 

Nicole

Administrator
Jul 22, 2013
9,373
24,106
113
Arlington, VA
RE: Rules Discussion Thread

I think there is a difference between rudeness and attacks. I don't think rude posts should be deleted, but they are still unpleasant. Personally, I would feel whiny reporting them.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Party Rocker
Login or Register to Hide This Ad