Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
RE: Busch Gardens Williamsburg Food & Wine Festival 2015

As we mentioned in the Pass Member Appreciation Day thread, several us had the opportunity to sample six Asian-inspired dishes that may end up at a new booth at the 2015 F&WF.  If you are interested in our thoughts you can check out the review here.

I would like to say that Joe should have been part of the tasting team, but we didn't decide to try the Asian Sampler until after he had left, so we probably owe him a bit of an apology.

I also want to emphasize how gracious and engaged Chef Justin was both times he came by our table to hear our impressions of the dishes.  The park is really fortunate to have him at the helm.

Finally, although my name is on the review, it is really (hopefully) just a summary of everyone else's observations,  So, thank you Applesauce, Gavin, Horsesboy, Matthew, Tony, and Zachary.  Naturally the pictures and design are all Zachary's doing; I can claim no credit for either.

Anyway, I hope the write-up is interesting or useful or at least briefly distracting.

Edit: Looking at Zachary's pictures, I should also thank my manicurist at Sugar House Day Spa for the fantastic job she did on my nails, and OPI for their pretty, new Nordic collection.  I think that pink Gel Color really works well for hand modeling.

I wish I could have been with you to taste the kimchi. I have a lot if experience with it since I love all manner of picked vegetables, and I occasionally make kimchi myself.

I do wonder if they made it or just purchased it from a wholesaler. I can't really imagine the BGW kitchens fermenting and aging vegetables, though maybe they already do if they make their own sauerkraut for Das Festhaus. Sauerkraut is Teutonic kimchi.

Nicole said:
I would like to say that Joe should have been part of the tasting team, but we didn't decide to try the Asian Sampler until after he had left, so we probably owe him a bit of an apology.

Ha- it's no issue. And I'm glad you enjoyed it!

It's interesting to me that they didn't attempt Chinese. Of course China is the source for many Asian cuisines, but I mean a straight-up Chinese dish. A lot of Chinese cookery is difficult to do in bulk, and really must be freshly-prepared which makes it a logistical problem for an event like F&W. But there are dishes/ingredients/flavors within the cuisines of China that could be adapted to the event's preparations and serving requirements. It just seems odd that so many of the offerings were South Asian.

Reactions: The Tomato

^Actually before I thought the menu, I honestly though this "Asian Fusion" was gonna be basically typical Chinese food that you can find at any local Chinese restaurant.

I'm quiet surprised that there isn't Chinese, or Japanese for that matter, but I'm rather okay with that.

I think some Chinese food would be an awesome addition! It would work well for the park too, since you can eat 2 pounds of Chinese food and be hungry 2 hours later! Well, unless I'm the only person on the planet that has this effect from it. I'll say they will get more money from me if they go the China route :)

Reactions: Jonquil

I'm actually glad there was no Chinese food on the tasting menu, and I honestly hope they don't add any. To me part of the point in going to the F&WF is to try new flavors and broaden my culinary experiences. While the dishes need to be approachable, I would prefer they not be something I can order at the local Number One Panda Buffet. That said, authentic Chinese dishes that we don't generally find in what have essentially become Chinese American restaurants might be worthwhile. I had some very unusual Hong Kong food at my friend's wedding in LA, for instance (creepy chicken heads still haunt me).

Oh I was absolutely not suggesting tha addition of standard American Chinese to the menu. The cuisine(s) of China is an immense and varied subject; some of the dishes in a traditional dim sum seem particularly suitable for an event like F&W. They already have a dumpling on the menu (though with its shape and ponzu sauce, it's much more of a Japanese-style gyōza than a Chinese dumpling) but a slighty more adventurous Chinese dumpling such as a soup dumpling might be a more fun offering. And there are, of course, many other possibilities. Hell, they could have a whole dim sum booth!

Jonquil said:
I wish I could have been with you to taste the kimchi. I have a lot if experience with it since I love all manner of picked vegetables, and I occasionally make kimchi myself.

I do wonder if they made it or just purchased it from a wholesaler. I can't really imagine the BGW kitchens fermenting and aging vegetables, though maybe they already do if they make their own sauerkraut for Das Festhaus. Sauerkraut is Teutonic kimchi.

Jonquil, I specifically asked Chef Justin about this dish. I was curious if he was taking care not to offend anyone's palate. He laughed and said that for health code reasons he was not able to incorporate fermentation into the process. The flavoring was achieved with many traditional seasonings and vinegar.

If anyone wants to sample many varieties of traditional kimchi, I can recommend Mona Korean Restaurant in Newport News, VA. I do urge caution not to sample too many varieties in one sitting. After talking with Chef Justin, it does make me wonder how Mona prepares the dishes within the Virginia health codes... #FunChallenge?

For a more exotic Asian experience the park should offer this! :p

Deep-fried-Scorpions.jpg

So, how bout' that Food and Wine Festival 2015? They updated the site but the booths will be added at a later date. I'm hoping the Scandinavian booth gets pulled and replaced with something like Norway considering that would fit in Ireland. Also, a polish booth would be fantastic in Germany but,  I don't think poland in Germany would go over too well. :p

So Scandinavia a is a section of Europe! You learn something new everyday. Considering Bistro 205 is getting renovated, could we see the booth located inside moved?

Well considering it's the French booth that's inside Bistro 205, yes probably. I could see them ditching one of the other booths in Aquitaine in favor of France.

If we lose the Belgian chicken waffle stew thing... I will cry.

Reactions: Zachary

They'll probably move the France booth to the snack stand directly beside it, or so I would think.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad