Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

Zachary

Administrator
Sep 23, 2009
Virginia
As many of you have likely seen, a Kona Ice truck has been parked behind Killarney in the Wild Reserve for the last two summers now. Apparently Busch Gardens Williamsburg is fairly satisfied with its performance because they're now in talks with a local BBQ food truck to start serving food truck food on property as well. I don't have many details that I can share yet, but it sounds like talks are fairly far along at this point.

Nov 24, 2009
You know Ihave zero interest in seeing that Kona truck or any other truck in the park espically week after week......but I could get into a food truck roundup type event say one saturday evening a month. They coukd have it in the parking lot where cornered was, bring in 10 or so local food trucks and have a competition of sorts for who brings the best food each week. Bring in a local band and that would be a great event.

BGWnut

Advisory Panel
Sep 24, 2018
As many of you have likely seen, a Kona Ice truck has been parked behind Killarney in the Wild Reserve for the last two summers now. Apparently Busch Gardens Williamsburg is fairly satisfied with its performance because they're now in talks with a local BBQ food truck to start serving food truck food on property as well. I don't have many details that I can share yet, but it sounds like talks are fairly far along at this point.

For roughly the last year the park has been bringing food trucks on property for employees to eat at on non operating days. I'm told that they have 5 or 6 on rotation and that it's been happening at least 2-3 days per week. So I wouldn't assume that they are going to be in the park for guests. It's also possible they are just going to be added to this rotation

Edit: fixed some grammar

Last edited:
Reactions: Zachary

Zachary

Administrator
Sep 23, 2009
Virginia
For roughly the last year the park has been bringing food trucks on property for employees to eat at on non operating days. I'm told that they have 5 or 6 on rotation and that it's been happenong at least 2-3 days per week I wouldn't assume that they are going to be in the park for guests. It's also possible they are just going to be added to this rotation

That makes sense. I tried to get some clarity from the source as to whether it would be guest-facing or not but I have yet to get an answer. I guess we'll see soon!

Jun 13, 2011
You know I have zero interest in seeing that Kona truck or any other truck in the park especially week after week......but I could get into a food truck roundup type event say one Saturday evening a month. They could have it in the parking lot where cornered was, bring in 10 or so local food trucks and have a competition of sorts for who brings the best food each week. Bring in a local band and that would be a great event.
This is a great idea.

Jonesta6

Glumble
Feb 14, 2019
It does have a theme - Ireland crossing into animal sanctuary. It'd be one thing if they were to find a way to make the truck fit the theme, but that's obviously not what has been done.

Also, to the point of immersion - Kona trucks show up at events all over the region, so what makes it feel special when at the park, that only the park could provide that experience (yes, there's also the thought of American foods served around the park, but that's not part of the truck discussion)?

Reactions: Zachary

BGWnut

Advisory Panel
Sep 24, 2018
Some food trucks are amazing in their own rights, but having them available to guests (including the existing Kona truck) seems kind of tacky and ruins the immersion, making it more akin to a regular amusement park.
Personally I think the Kona truck at WCUSA was a good fit for theme. But I agree about the one at BGW. It always felt out of place.

Nov 30, 2018
Some food trucks are amazing in their own rights, but having them available to guests (including the existing Kona truck) seems kind of tacky and ruins the immersion, making it more akin to a regular amusement park.

Kings Dominion had food trucks some days during Halloween Haunt, which helps to offset the crush of guests in the eateries on busy days. I didn't find it tacky at all and actually appreciated the different food options from the typical Kings Dominion fare.

BGWnut

Advisory Panel
Sep 24, 2018
Kings Dominion had food trucks some days during Halloween Haunt, which helps to offset the crush of guests in the eateries on busy days. I didn't find it tacky at all and actually appreciated the different food options from the typical Kings Dominion fare.

Yes but KD has a tradition of providing food from outside vendors at the park. They have Panda Express, Chick-fil-a, Subway, SweetFrog, Rita's and a few others. So to me food trucks don't seem as out of place there as they would at BGW.

Jonesta6

Glumble
Feb 14, 2019
Yes but KD has a tradition of providing food from outside vendors at the park. They have Panda Express, Chick-fil-a, Subway, SweetFrog, Rita's and a few others. So to me food trucks don't seem as out of place there as they would at BGW.

I wasn't exactly trying to get into a semantics discussion here, but I also don't consider KD a theme park. That's totally ok, and I don't have the same expectations there either.

Also worth noting, they have permanent trucks for Subway and such scattered around the park that keeps with the aforementioned tradition of outside food options.

Reactions: Zachary and BGWnut
Aug 23, 2017
BGW is no longer the old country. I think that if they include international foods year round in the former nature reserve it would be fitting. lets celebrate the wide world of food.

BGWnut

Advisory Panel
Sep 24, 2018
That would be fine. If the rumor was for an international cuisine truck then maybe. Honestly I've been thinking about it and I think if it was done correctly it could tie in well to an event. I would incorporate a few of them together into one area. I think Summer nights or Bier Fest could be a great fit.

My issue with the current rumor is that it's for a BBQ restaurant when the park already has a large signature BBQ restaurant. There are plenty of local food trucks that don't offer cuisine similar to what the park currently offers.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad