Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Sep 5, 2010
RICHMOND
A recent post in a particularly heated thread (something about a solar clock and a boat ride..I didn't really follow it all that closely) got me thinking about my younger days spent at King's Dominion. So, I thought I'd start this thread about favorite things in King's Dominion for non KD fans.

My favorite, by far, was Wayne's World.

I used to love Wayne's World. I never went to King's Dominion without riding Hurler at least 5 times, Scream Weaver once, and eating at Stan Mikita's (although I was always bummed that it wasn't a donut shop).

I met one of the best looking girls I ever dated in Wayne's World part of the park, I met my life-long best buddy there, too (not the same person). I rode the Xtreme Skyflyer there with my other best friend and got over my fear of heights right then and there.

I'd be interested to see what other fans who are usually hard on King's Dominion would list as there favorite KD attractions/memories.

RE: Fond memories of King's Dominion

I loved Kings Dominion in its pre-Paramount days. The place had such a nice charm to from opening until 1993 and was a hell of a lot more fun than BGW which is not really a surprise when the only thing you have anchoring the park is Nessie and BBW. Now while I didn't mind the addition of Wayne's World I was not happy that they located it so close to Grizzly. This caused a severe depletion of trees in that area and Grizzly's epic night rides in the pitch black were gone. The one thing I mostly miss are the rides where Volcano now sits. I really loved the Time Shaft and Haunted River had a sick (and steep) drop. Also, The Lion Country Safari monorail provided a nice break from the sweltering heat in the summer as the trains were nicely air-conditoned.

I say at least bring back the singing mushrooms!

I remember beginning my life-long love for coasters on my first-ever roller coaster, Taxi Jam.

I also remember getting my picture taken with Spongebob in front of the International Street fountains

Reactions: Ludwig II

I vaguely remember a days of thunder ride, a lemans style ride and some show where I got to go on stage.

pandorazboxx said:
I vaguely remember a days of thunder ride, a lemans style ride and some show where I got to go on stage.

I've only been there once, and it was just a few years ago - but I loved how their antique car ride meandered through the woods...

I might be wrong, but I thought Days of Thunder was a motion sim ride in the action thearter.

Pompeii Sundial said:
I might be wrong, but I thought Days of Thunder was a motion sim ride in the action thearter.

It was. Well, it was a motion sim...I don't know about the action theater part. They had 007 and Spongebob in this same theater later on. Is that the action theater?

Yes, the Action Theater is where Spongebob is now. (Frankly, I am kinda confused as to how it has survived Paramount's loss of ownership of KD.)

J0E1 said:
I remember beginning my life-long love for coasters on my first-ever roller coaster, Taxi Jam.

I also remember getting my picture taken with Spongebob in front of the International Street fountains

This sounds just like my first coaster experience. I rode the Taxi, then did Scooby, got up the guts to do Avalanche, and then, I did the biggest coaster I had ridden so far, Ricochet! (bum,bum,bum)
But I cried on that one:blush:
Afterwords,I had a fake Karate match with Spongebob.
That was one of my best days at the park.
Another great memory has to be when I rode every single ride in the park in one day, and did Flight of Fear and I305 for the first time.

Haven't been there in over 12 years. I remember riding Avalanche, Grizzly, Scooby, Hurler, Rebel Yell and maybe like 1 or 2 other coasters. The sheer fact that I still remember Avalanche and Grizzly keeps me clinging to just how much fun I thought they were.

Reactions: Pretzel Kaiser

Grizzly and Hurler are two of my all-time favorites. KD has two worthwhile things that BGW does not: wooden roller coasters and a free water park.

Reactions: netdvn

I will say that their wave pool sucks... It turns on the waves for like a minute, then keeps them off for random amounts of time... Maybe it was an off day, but I haven't gone to their waterpark since

I remember my first Volcano ride.
Wow. Just wow. The sheer speed of it just blew me away. That was the first time I had ridden a REAL launch coaster. Boy howdy, that was the loudest I have ever screamed on a roller coaster.

Rebel Yell used to go backwards. I have no idea why they flipped it back to the original configuration.

You know times have changed when you have to go through a metal detector now. That didn't exist in the 80's at KD.

Kings Dominion's Facebook has two photo albums showing the park's history.

Guest Vintage Photos here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150906768186875.398647.32237381874&type=3

Throwback Photos here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150884332151875.396396.32237381874&type=3

This is my favorite guest pic! LOL

399381_10150926419121875_577980087_n.jpg

Reactions: Luke and Hoopla
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad