Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

CoasterAuditor

Theme parks are cool
Jul 5, 2017
Richmond, VA
Hi Everyone!

So I am planning my first ever trip to Knoebels on October 13th. Way way too excited. I am concerned with it being a Saturday and Hallo-Fun that it might be insanely packed. I am also a tad worried about how accommodating the rides are to bigger folks like myself, primarily the coasters and larger flats. In VA I can ride AC, Bolt, Tempesto, Nessie, InvadR, I305, Anaconda, Avalanche, Backlot, FoF, Racer 75, Grizzly, and Apple Zapple. I can probably do the "larger" OTSRs on Dom, Grif, and Alpie but I haven't attempted because whatever reason.

Also just generally curious what advice anyone has for this park? I am very very excited to go for the first time.

I think Knoebel's is very fat-friendly. I don't recall them having any safety procedures or requirements of any kind. I could be wrong.

Reactions: CoasterAuditor
My Knoebels tips include, primarily, prepare to eat. Ice cream waffle, popcorn, Cesarri’s pizza, all of it. Heck, you can even get apple cider slushees.
Ride the carousel and sit on an outside horse, try to get the brass ring. Bumper cars are the best ever.
Many will disagree, but ride Phoenix and experience a ton of airtime. Twister is a good woodie, but it’s fast and intense, not “smooth” like a regular woodie. Impulse is ok. As far as your specific concern regarding larger seats, I don’t recall if they maintain row 3 seats or anything. I don’t think you’ll have issues to about 240 lbs or so, but I’m not a great judge. I’m 200ish, haven’t had any issues at all.
While the park has the unsafe carnival/street fair vibe, like all parks, the Knoebel family is very concerned with guest safety.

Impulse's restraints may be a problem and ratchet tighter the whole ride so even if you can ride it may be very painful. Otherwise you should find it better than most parks regarding size.

Yeah I would say Impulses restraints are the most concerning on coasters but I have not been able to find anything online about them "not" being very accommodating. I am 6'3 315 but my body is distributed pretty well in terms of size. A lot of coasters it's not really even my gut that gives me trouble it's my chest and sometimes thighs.

I went to Knoebels for the first time just a few weeks ago. Some impressions...

Clientele is ... local.

Food is super variable, in the eyes of a first-timer. Having done little to no "food research" ahead of time, I was sometimes pleased (kettle corn) and sometimes super disappointed ("chicken pot pie," pizza, pierogies). Give the opportunity to return, I would study up a bit better first.

So much to see and do in that park. Phoenix is terrific, worthy of the reputation, just a great ride. Flying Turns can be incredibly finicky in even slightly wet weather and is only worth it for the uniqueness or if is has a short line, as it is a one-of-a-kind 30-second hoot but a 30-second experience nonetheless. The giant wheel is probably the sketchiest but also one of the best I have ever ridden. The smell of burning rubber when its drive tires try to slow and stop the thing in a light drizzle is an eyebrow-raiser. Rode anyway. Totally worth it.

There is a fully landscaped home located fully within the park, by the Phoenix. Yard, backyard trees, porch, etc. Clearly well cared for. Not sure if this is one of the rentable "cottages" that are generally located elsewhere on the property, but I don't think so because it seems too large and too nice to be on par with the rentals. If you figure that out, please let me know, because I didn't manage to solve it and I am too lazy to look it up.

A full accounting of Knoebels' sights and quirks would require a thin novel's worth of words. Best to just soak it in yourself, and keep an eye out for the copious height markers commemorating the depths of various flooding events the park has suffered over the years. They generally manage to clean up and reopen within days post-flood. Pretty amazing.

Among hundreds of other wares, you can buy a rather nice wood-crafted outdoor bench at Knoebels for about $150 --- a pretty good price for the product. If you are a Trump fan, you will love the guy who makes them. You also will love his pickup truck, parked out back by the bathrooms. I did not buy a bench.

I got bigger fiends that go and...no problem.

@CoasterChase youll be in the neck of the woods I lived for 20+ years. Some tips:
Bug spray. Liberal amounts.
Take mud clothes/shoes. It’s muddy.

Ok:
Pro tip, there a little middle of nowhere town called Girardville outside of Frackville PA. There’s a place called “Tony’s Lunch” open weekends from 7:30pm-2am. Looks like it should be shut down but the burgers are a bite of heaven. If you like a spicy meal, get screamer with fluff. It will be a burger with chili and marshmallow fluff. It’s also not that expensive. Only 27minutes away.

I got bigger fiends that go and...no problem.

@CoasterChase youll be in the neck of the woods I lived for 20+ years. Some tips:
Bug spray. Liberal amounts.
Take mud clothes/shoes. It’s muddy.

Ok:
Pro tip, there a little middle of nowhere town called Girardville outside of Frackville PA. There’s a place called “Tony’s Lunch” open weekends from 7:30pm-2am. Looks like it should be shut down but the burgers are a bite of heaven. If you like a spicy meal, get screamer with fluff. It will be a burger with chili and marshmallow fluff. It’s also not that expensive. Only 27minutes away.

Interesting. I feel like with the coasters I'm probably 100% fine maybe a small chance of Impulse giving me a little trouble but that doesn't seem too likely. Now about the flats. I did notice Fandango is a Moser ride and the OTSRs look very similar to Mach Tower which is notably one of the first WOSs I ever got. I know Satellite is pretty much out of the question. Are Power Surge and Downdraft good for larger riders? I don't believe I've attempted to ride any larger Zamperla flats like Power Surge or Black Widow ever.

Thanks for the recommendation on for Tony's Lunch we will have to see I am planning to eat some good food at Knoebels that's for sure.

Interesting. I feel like with the coasters I'm probably 100% fine maybe a small chance of Impulse giving me a little trouble but that doesn't seem too likely. Now about the flats. I did notice Fandango is a Moser ride and the OTSRs look very similar to Mach Tower which is notably one of the first WOSs I ever got. I know Satellite is pretty much out of the question. Are Power Surge and Downdraft good for larger riders? I don't believe I've attempted to ride any larger Zamperla flats like Power Surge or Black Widow ever.

Thanks for the recommendation on for Tony's Lunch we will have to see I am planning to eat some good food at Knoebels that's for sure.

All are a little better than you would think. You'll understand why if you have never been to central PA.

^I've been to Hershey in 2010 for what that's worth lol. Was hoping to make a pitstop potentially to see if I could get on Skyrush but it's closed that weekend I am going. Probably a good thing as it would suck to pay to get in and not ride the amazing roller coaster they added two years after I last went.

^I've been to Hershey in 2010 for what that's worth lol. Was hoping to make a pitstop potentially to see if I could get on Skyrush but it's closed that weekend I am going. Probably a good thing as it would suck to pay to get in and not ride the amazing roller coaster they added two years after I last went.

Solo trip or family trip? I can give you some fun little detours depending on time and who's with you.

I am bringing my nephew to my uncles house near Denver on 10/12 and then spending the entire day at Knoebels 10/13. Then returning to VA on 10/14 in the afternoon. My uncle, cousin, nephew and I are going to Knoebels.

If you haven't been there, hit up Appalachian Brewing. Good brews, great food. If you haven't been there, you'll be near Shady Maple. A shmogesboard that's bigger than Festhous. Much much bigger....

Reactions: whanna
So now that I am getting closer I would like to know what to expect for the crowds? Just would like to figure out which rides I definitely need to hit as quick as possible to avoid standing in line for them later in the day. Gonna take a wild guess and say Flying Turns, Impulse, Haunted Mansion, and hit the Haunted Antique Cars as early as possible. Anything else? Will it be possible to "marathon" Phoenix? I really want to do that.

I don't know exact locations of the park or rain, but I do know the park is extremely prone to flooding.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad