Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Mar 10, 2015
I plan on making my long anticipated (30-ish years) trip to BGW next week. We will be arriving on Monday, 6 April, and departing sometime Thursday, 9 April. Hotel reservations have already been made. Just looking for some tips. When to arrive, quick queue (should we buy, or not), early entry, any thoughts as to how busy the park may be, don't miss food/drink, etc.

RE: First trip to BGW.

StrohsBeer said:
I plan on making my long anticipated (30-ish years) trip to BGW next week. We will be arriving on Monday, 6 April, and departing sometime Thursday, 9 April. Hotel reservations have already been made. Just looking for some tips. When to arrive, quick queue (should we buy, or not), early entry, any thoughts as to how busy the park may be, don't miss food/drink, etc.

Hello !

Here are just some of my personal recommendations
Arrival: 9:15 - 9:30 am arrival ( england opens at 9:30 am ) This will give you plenty of time to park and get things settled.

As for the Quick Q., given that this is a weekday in April, I personally don't think you will have to worry about the crowds, so no Quick Q.

Drinks: It is very helpful to buy a season cup if you plan on purchasing a drink more than around 3 times. (check out England with the coke Freestyle Machines)

Food : Some of my favorites are Gorgans ( Bangers and Cabbage) Festhaus (Corn beef sandwich), and The pretzel sandwiches in Germany are really good ! Trappers is always a fan favorite as well!

Dont miss Celtic Fyre if you want to see some shows ( The rest is just a matter of if you want to!)

Enjoy your Visit !

Reactions: StrohsBeer

So BGW offers a season cup much like the Cedar Fair parks. That is good to know, as we used the hell out of our Cedar Fair souvenir cups last year. Living in southern Michigan, we are Cedar Point platinum pass holders, and typically do a Kings Island trip during the summer as well. As for the QQ, I wasn't sure if it would be necessary. The information I was reading was telling me that no, it probably wouldn't be needed. But I also kept reading about the crowds during spring break. Either way, the money has been budgeted if we decide to go that route.

How is the beer selection? I don't need fancy craft brews, but I refuse to drink Bud Light. Being a former Anheuser-Busch park, I am unsure of what to expect. I'd be perfectly happy with some good German beer, or regular, fully leaded Michelob. Or Stroh's, obviously, as my user name implies. I am definitely not counting on getting a Stroh's, though. That is one disappointment to which I have grown accustomed over the years.

And Grogan's, Festhaus, and Trapper's Smokehouse. Duly noted, thank you. Trapper's will be easy to remember, as that is also the name of one of our local favorites here in Michigan.

Again, I thank you for the insight. If anyone else has some tips, I am all ears.

Just a warning, Spring break season is the week before and after Easter so you may end up with some crowds because of this. Park attendance can be kind of hit or miss though depending on the various school calendars.

Most of the beer selection around the park is your stereotypical Bud/Bud Light but I think the Fest Haus and Grogans Pub might have better beer.

I do not think you will have a problem finding a beer you like, the park has an ok variety. Be prepared to pay $7.00 a pop though. Save the qq money for beer.:)
The park is a circle. You start in England and go left or right. You can hit all of the rides if you keep going and do not turn back.
The traffic sucks around here. Are you staying close to the park or in VA Beach? The tunnels and a bottle neck in Newport News can make travel time vary.

We are staying right in Williamsburg. Not too far away. I generally try to stay fairly close if the park does not have its own lodging on sight. And I was fully prepared to pay for a cold beer. 2 20oz drafts at Cedar Point with a tip consumes a $20 bill, so I won't get sticker shock. As for the park being circular, any recommendations as to a clockwise, or counterclockwise journey?

Counter is my suggestion it least you hit verboten before the to long.

There aren't too many hotels close to the park outside of the Doubletree and Courtyard. Even those are typically older anyway. Richmond Rd/Bypass Rd are your best options for lodging since both have a huge variety of hotels and there's a ton of new properties not to mention nearby fast food/gas/tourist traps.

As for navigating the park, most people will either run to Griffon since that ride is highly visible or toward Verbolten since its still the new ride until Tempesto opens. Loch Ness will be the first ride open so I'd hit that first. After that it depends on whether or not you wanna ride Griffon or Bolt first thing.

If you're worried about crowds use this on your next visit. It should really help.

Reactions: Nicole

If you are going to be there multiple days, QQ will be a waste of money. You will get to see/ride everything they have to offer in that period of time. And still have time to do your favorites multiple times. Wait for the front on Alpengeist. Back seat or 'rear' end of the train is the more intense experience on Apollo. Enjoy your visit!

Since you are CF Plat and will be in Williamsburg for several days, are you also planning to go to Kings Dominion? KD is only a little more than an hour from BGW. If so, we can make suggestions there too.

Back to BGW...

Thinking about QQs, if you get to the park and decide you want them, you should have no problem buying them there.

In terms of food, I highly recommend trying Josephine's, a great new ice cream shop. We have a thread with more details, but the sundae I had last weekend was very good.

Reactions: Zimmy

I would REALLY like to hit KD while we are in the area, but that is up in the air. Mostly a time constraint issue, as we have to be back in Michigan Friday evening.

Kronenburg a delightfully hoppy beer from France (very close to Belgium) is sold in one of the shops in Aquitaine. It is not a bar or restaurant, but it has a sign out front that advertises the beer. That is always my goto.

How did your trip go, StrohsBeer? I'm curious to hear you actually got to do everything you wanted to in one day. I recently went with a family that had two young girls, 8 and 11, and we absolutely didn't have enough time to do everything, even with Quick Queue passes. Between the rides, the food, the shows, the animals (and this was early to mid April so there wasn't even London Rocks or Star Spangled Nights yet) there just wasn't enough time. So how did it go for you? I hope you had a really great time!

I just deleted the post and banned him.  I usually get rid of the spam before y'all see it, but this was posted during my morning commute.

To answer your question:

Class One Offenses
Posting Spam. Spam includes but is not limited to:
1.Advertisements;
2.Self-promotion;
3.Recruitment;
4.Referral links; and
5.Online petitions.

Class One Offenses result in an immediate ban.

I seem to recall a similar thread from way back in the BGWFans Forums days. I'd be down for a revival of that concept.

My favorite is still when a half-dozen accounts were created to continuously post some bizarre foreign medication. "For want of a better medicine."

Reactions: CastleOSullivan
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad