Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
[split] Das Festhaus

Bad news came down late this week, announcing the closing of the coffee house part of Das Festhaus. I hate to see this shut down, as I love to get freshly made food there. I went there today for one last Cuban Ruben sandwich. Upper Management is really destroying this park. Someone needs to take this park over now, before it is messed up any more.

RE: Das Festhaus

Honestly I can't imagine that Festhaus Kaffe makes much money than on busy days. It is extremely secluded in the back of the Festhaus. They are probably spending more money having it operational than making money.

Reactions: wombat96

Just so long as they dont change the pasta and sauce in Italy.

Sometimes I make special trips to BG just for the pasta and sauce.

It seems like the last few times I've been (usually Sundays, but even on a Wednesday once) the Kaffee was closed.

Party Rocker said:
Honestly I can't imagine that Festhaus Kaffe makes much money than on busy days. It is extremely secluded in the back of the Festhaus. They are probably spending more money having it operational than making money.

I'm not really surprised. It is tucked totally in the back of the Fest Haus and it was never designed to be a separate restaurant, it was always meant to be the Beer School.

It's a shame the park has decided to close Festhaus Kaffe, My wife and I would stop in there every other trip to BGW. She always enjoyed the food there and it was a nice quiet place to enjoy our sandwiches together away from the crowds. I suppose now we will have to enjoy the brisket and chicken at Trappers on every trip..

Reactions: Bama

The vegetarian panini which they would customize however you wanted, was the most decent vegan meal in the park. And it was definitely the tastiest. Grogan's Grill has a potato, braised cabbage, side salad meal for vegans who are looking for tasteless meals (sans sour cream, cheese, and butter this meal is decently bland.) Also, pasta and sauce is a possibility but despite recent posts touting it's delectability :)p) this option is usually mushy and always overly sweet. Busch's omnipresent entree salad is quite tasty and has cheese which you can pick around but doesn't satisfy for two meals in an all-day park visit.

I'm hoping the park provides another sandwich vegan option in the future. (Or something even better would be nice.) RIP, Festhaus Kaffe.

Reactions: Zachary

I'll comment for you Zimmy. The pasta in San Marco is about as authentic as cubic zirconia. Authentic foods begin with authentic texture. It doesn't matter how good your sauce is if the pasta is overcooked. Undercooking it is an extremely rare mistake, but slightly worse. In case you missed my hotdog rant in the star spangled nights thread, I am somewhat picky when it comes to the texture of my food. I'd go so far as to say that it is more important to me than the actual taste of what I'm eating. This is only my opinion, but BGW is way off, all over the place on proper preparation of their foods. Its a shame too, because most everything has an excellent flavor to it. Pasta in all forms is supposed to have a firmness to it at least to some degree. As stated above a couple posts, theirs' is mush. To not derail the thread, I'll finish with the Festhaus. Their meats are absolutely fantastic! However, they choose to ruin the meal for me by putting it on a dry, anti-saliva producing subroll that feels 3 days old by a texture standpoint. I only wish I had experienced the park when all of these things clicked with freshness and authentic preparation. I know it used to be way better, just for the simple fact that the park would have never gotten the reputation that is has by serving the food that they do right now.

It appears that since the closure they are not reallocating the space for extra quiet seating for the Festhaus. Bit of a shame but not unusual.

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCN1535.JPG
    DSCN1535.JPG
    6.6 MB · Views: 302
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad