Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

Jahrules

Possibly the 1-millionth Pantheon thread viewer.
Advisory Panel
Feb 3, 2019
I'm going to start off by saying that I have very little in way of 'professional experience' when it comes to amusement permits and operational inspection requirements... However, today I came across some interesting stuff.

It appears that BGW has allowed the permits for multiple attractions to lapse. While this makes sense for some rides (which have not operated this year). Other rides, (such as Invadr and Verbolten) have been running.

Additionally, it appears that these expired attraction permits are picking up daily 'past due' fines ($157.50 a day for Invadr and Verbolten):

Can someone with more knowledge in this area comment about what's going on and why they're apparently racking up thousands of dollars in fines?

example: Verbolten:

permit expired: 3-August 2020

They currently owe $787.50 in fees:

Unpaid Fees

$157.50

10-25-2020

Unpaid Fees

$157.50

10-26-2020

Unpaid Fees

$157.50

10-21-2020

Unpaid Fees

$157.50

10-20-2020

Unpaid Fees

$157.50

10-22-2020

and they have a hold against it:

NameDescriptionCommentsHold DateStatus
Expired Permit HoldThis hold locks down a permit that has expired so no further work can be conducted until this hold is lifted. This, by default, is also added to expired permits each evening by the IAA (i.e. no inspection requests from the ePortal are prevented).Hold has been added by the IAA to ensure the expired permit cannot have any further work conducted until the expiration is extended.08/03/2020Active

No idea but I'd have to guess that it may be an economical based decision - the ride isn't unsafe as far as in-house staff have determined, but getting an inspector out for the government may be more time consuming and problematic than just paying the fines. However, I wonder where that'd leave them in terms of liability.

It sounds more like a work permit, so they wouldn't be allowed to do maintenance on then. Then a permit that they need to be able to run them. But I'm not an expert.

maybe they are waiting for Halloween Harvest to finish to get an inspector to renew them?

Sure, but they're eating literally thousands in fines. I tallied up nearly $10k and I didn't bother checking all of them.

maybe they are waiting for Halloween Harvest to finish to get an inspector to renew them?
The county had to inspect and certify each ride back in August before the first event. Those certificates are good for 1 year.

Reactions: Le Moose
then i am extra confused about these permits then
Looking through these appear to be charges that are past do for the August inspection that was required before they opened. One possible explanation is there is some pending dispute of the cost. My limited understanding is that just like taxes you continue to rack up penalties during the process that are owed if you lose the case. But that is based on an extremely low understanding. supporting this and @BGWnut theory if this.

Inspection Type:
Amusement Device
Requested Date:
08/01/2020
Requested Time:
12:00 AM
Inspection Status:
Requested
Scheduled Date:
08/01/2020
Scheduled Time:
Permit Number:VADO-19-0026
Completed Date:

Completed Time:

Inspector Name:
Mike Finkelstein
Main Address:
7851 POCAHONTAS 5140100009 Williamsburg,VA 23185

Note that there is no listing of the inspection being completed even though we know that given how long the rides sat unused the county required them to be reinspected before they could be operated. Also under fees it appears that they paid about a third of the charges leading me to further belief that there is some sort of dispute possibly related to the rides being inspected in the spring and then again in August.

Last edited:
Looking through these appear to be charges that are past do for the August inspection that was required before they opened. One possible explanation is there is some pending dispute of the cost. My limited understanding is that just like taxes you continue to rack up penalties during the process that are owed if you lose the case. But that is based on an extremely low understanding. supporting this and @BGWnut theory if this.

Inspection Type:
Amusement Device
Requested Date:
08/01/2020
Requested Time:
Inspection Status:
Requested
Scheduled Date:
08/01/2020
Scheduled Time:
Permit Number:VADO-19-0026
Completed Date:

Completed Time:

Inspector Name:
Mike Finkelstein
Main Address:
7851 POCAHONTAS 5140100009 Williamsburg,VA 23185

Note that there is no listing of the inspection being completed even though we know that given how long the rides sat unused the county required them to be reinspected before they could be operated. Also under fees it appears that they paid about a third of the charges leading me to further belief that there is some sort of dispute possibly related to the rides being inspected in the spring and then again in August.
by the way; this coaster is Verbolten.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad