Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Mar 3, 2022
I'm looking to make my first BGW visit in April, so I had a few basic questions typical of a novice.

I'd likely be coming on the weekends of April 16-17 or 23-24. It would be paired up with a day at KD, too. Should I expect any rides to be down at that time? How much will April weather and weekend crowds negatively impact my visit?

Reactions: andyb
May 9, 2019
I'm looking to make my first BGW visit in April, so I had a few basic questions typical of a novice.

I'd likely be coming on the weekends of April 16-17 or 23-24. It would be paired up with a day at KD, too. Should I expect any rides to be down at that time? How much will April weather and weekend crowds negatively impact my visit?

Any existing ride (pre-2022 opening) should be open, but there are no guarantees that a ride may NOT be down for maintenance or unexpected issue (staffing issues of last year have presumably have been shored up).

As for the new rides, Pantheon is officially opening to the public on March 25th, so I believe it wise that you are going when you are going. Not saying there will not be a long wait for the ride, but you are not going opening weekend either. Tumbili at KD is another story, no official opening date has been announced (it is generically labeled as opening Spring 2022); could it be opened by April 16th or April 23rd? Maybe, maybe not. I would also anticipate none of the other rides in that area that are being rebranded (Avalanche to Reptilian and Scrambler to Spider-whatever it will be named) will be open until they open Tumbili (it is all a part of the Jungle X-pedition area).

Hope this helps.

Mar 3, 2022
As for the new rides, Pantheon is officially opening to the public on March 25th, so I believe it wise that you are going when you are going. Not saying there will not be a long wait for the ride, but you are not going opening weekend either. Tumbili at KD is another story, no official opening date has been announced (it is generically labeled as opening Spring 2022); could it be opened by April 16th or April 23rd? Maybe, maybe not. I would also anticipate none of the other rides in that area that are being rebranded (Avalanche to Reptilian and Scrambler to Spider-whatever it will be named) will be open until they open Tumbili (it is all a part of the Jungle X-pedition area).

Hope this helps.

It does, thank you! I was mostly concerned with the potential for multiple coasters to be down due to staffing issues.

While it would be nice to see the new KD area open, April is just a better time to go for me because my local parks in the Midwest won't be open yet, and I'm not going to care about missing Tumbili. I've been on several FreeSpins and all they are, to me personally ,are one-and-done credits.

May 9, 2019
It does, thank you! I was mostly concerned with the potential for multiple coasters to be down due to staffing issues.

While it would be nice to see the new KD area open, April is just a better time to go for me because my local parks in the Midwest won't be open yet, and I'm not going to care about missing Tumbili. I've been on several FreeSpins and all they are, to me personally ,are one-and-done credits.

I think the chances of multiple coasters being down is so small that I would not even worry about it.

Enjoy the parks.

Sidenote: I am heading to Cedar Point in late May/early June (for a week), do you think it is worth the drive to Kings Island or no? Is Orion or anything else there worth the detour from Ohio back to Virginia or a daytrip from Cedar Point?

Mar 17, 2020
If you go on the weekend, Sundays tend to be a better experience than Saturdays. If anything, Sunday the 24th might your best option, given that everyone on the east coast will be back in school the following day, regardless of when their spring break falls/fell. If you must visit on a Saturday, I highly recommend getting there in time for rope drop!

Mar 17, 2020
I think the chances of multiple coasters being down is so small that I would not even worry about it.

Enjoy the parks.

Sidenote: I am heading to Cedar Point in late May/early June (for a week), do you think it is worth the drive to Kings Island or no? Is Orion or anything else there worth the detour from Ohio back to Virginia or a daytrip from Cedar Point?
Not sure about Kings Island, but you might want to take the Dayton/Cincy route regardless. Much less white-knuckled driving involved!

If you do stop in Cincy, make sure you check out the sign museum, and the underground railroad museum is also worth a visit.

Reactions: futureshock
May 9, 2019
If you go on the weekend, Sundays tend to be a better experience than Saturdays. If anything, Sunday the 24th might your best option, given that everyone on the east coast will be back in school the following day, regardless of when their spring break falls/fell. If you must visit on a Saturday, I highly recommend getting there in time for rope drop!

I am slightly less worried about what time to get there, as we have Fast Lane Plus at all parks so lines should be less of an issue, but appreciate the heads up.

I guess what I am wondering is if we can comfortably do everything in one day at Kings Island or not and if there are enough differences between KI and KD; clearly I am not going to Kings Island for the clone rides they have at KD.

May 9, 2019
Not sure about Kings Island, but you might want to take the Dayton/Cincy route regardless. Much less white-knuckled driving involved!

If you do stop in Cincy, make sure you check out the sign museum, and the underground railroad museum is also worth a visit.
Thanks for the museum ideas, had no idea these existed there at all. I am hoping to make this a full day experience in Cincy.

Much appreciated.

Mar 3, 2022

Kings Island is absolutely worth the detour IMO. Very few stinkers in that coaster collection.

May 23, 2021
Kings Island is absolutely worth the detour IMO. Very few stinkers in that coaster collection.
Fully agreed, where KI is well worth the (3 to 4 hour) detour. The highlights which really need to be experienced (in no particular order) are: Diamondback, Mystic Timbers, Orion, Banshee, and The Beast.

Heck, it's even nice to experience the KD clones like Stunt Coaster; where at the KI version you can actually witness most of the ride effects still working. And though I prefer KD's Flight of Fear over the KI version - as KD's is a bit less rough IMO - being able to see the full side of the UFO, in the KI's queue, is very cool; just like you used to be able to do at KD, before the scare maze consumed things.

However... perhaps the sole reason for needing to visit KI (especially during the summer months), is to greater appreciate how absolutely awesome KD's trees are - especially when comparing both park's International Street 😉

May 9, 2019
Fully agreed, where KI is well worth the (3 to 4 hour) detour. The highlights which really need to be experienced (in no particular order) are: Diamondback, Mystic Timbers, Orion, Banshee, and The Beast.

Heck, it's even nice to experience the KD clones like Stunt Coaster; where at the KI version you can actually witness most of the ride effects still working. And though I prefer KD's Flight of Fear over the KI version - as KD's is a bit less rough IMO - being able to see the full side of the UFO, in the KI's queue, is very cool; just like you used to be able to do at KD, before the scare maze consumed things.

However... perhaps the sole reason for needing to visit KI (especially during the summer months), is to greater appreciate how absolutely awesome KD's trees are - especially when comparing both park's International Street 😉

I luckily got to enjoy Flight of Fear at KD from its opening year until now, same with Backlot Stunt Coaster/Italian Job so it will be interesting to see the comparisons at KI.

Thanks for the tips.

Reactions: outhikn
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad