Enraged mother wants childless adults banned from Disney

Login or Register to Hide This Ad
Mar 16, 2016
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/angry-disney-world-ranter-says-022846376.html

Yes the article is about Disney and I'm posting this in general Amusement Industry discussions, but for a good reason. I think this is something that I've seen happening not just at Disney but at amusement parks in general. I was at KD the other evening, and a single 20-30 year old female was in the line for front row on I-305. When she got up there I heard a tween (couldn't tell exactly who) said "old people shouldn't be allowed on rides like this, pathetic to be alone". I wanted to speak up, but the ride attendant stepped up by asking for a single rider and just replied "we always find someone".

Is it becoming an issues in parks were certain groups are feeling entitled to be able to say these things or thing certain things within the park are just for them?

The Quist

The Ghastly Grinner messed me UP as a kid
Sep 7, 2018
I don't want to generalize but I feel like there is a certain amount of entitlement with this new generation that is far worse than we have ever seen. Everything is about them and no one else matters. Its narcissism amplified by the fact that everything they do can suddenly be put on Instagram or Snapchat for everyone to see and comment on. I believe many of them honestly believe they are the most important people on earth.

GrandpaD

Curve Flattener.
Aug 3, 2017
Newport News, VA
If the mom had a three year old... Wouldn't that make her a millennial, too?

Not that it makes any difference, I had read the mom's post was quite a few months ago and a video blogger happened to stumble upon it last week.

Applesauce

未来の月
May 22, 2010
Virginia Beach
This is a very weird article to be posted now. That FB post was made ages ago, why is it only getting attention now?

Obviously people can really do what they want. There's a stigma in our society that basically says that once you reach a certain age you can't have fun or enjoy fun things. Usually this is associated with things like cartoons, or like... Going on a swing or a slide. Rather than a theme park, the exception being Disney. Where some groups of people believe the park is meant for children. And I mean they have adult stuff so that's obviously not right.

It's just super weird to me that this post was picked up months later. It's really suspicious tbh, considering the post is almost written like it's trolling or being extreme and making fun of the type of people who believe this stuff.

Anyways cringe culture is cancelled, enjoy fun things even if it's not meant for you. ):<

b.mac

Wild Mouse Nerd
May 14, 2011
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
It's just super weird to me that this post was picked up months later. It's really suspicious tbh, considering the post is almost written like it's trolling or being extreme and making fun of the type of people who believe this stuff.

Anyways cringe culture is cancelled, enjoy fun things even if it's not meant for you. ):<
People are legit paying money on social media to have their complaint pieces advertised for more exposure. There's another guy who apparently paid $114 so his complaint on Twitter about Legoland CA could get shared around so hopefully some media idiot could pick it up.
____

Like I wouldn't call it narcissism, but definitely as of recently the sense of entitlement from guests is getting suffocating. Gotta have everything work out perfectly or else god forbid your hot dog has been on the grill 2 seconds longer than it should've and your entire day is ruined.

Just for whatever reason with the way people have been brought up or exposed to service industry jobs for whatever reason they expect these people to go 20 miles out of their way to make up for the slightest inconvenience and lose their minds when employees just casually handle a kid not being tall enough to ride, a ride going down, or even half the park flooding in a sudden rainstorm.
___

I haven't really experienced the other side of that coin, mostly the age / children threshold where people start saying you shouldn't enjoy the hobby anymore. My Disney oriented friends have but they all say it's like a 1 in 3 shot every visit they take that someone actually brings up that they "are too old for this shit."

Most of my cases people are actually kind of impressed I go out of my way to visit so many theme parks and manage to do it affordably.

Mar 18, 2017
The second, and almost assuredly last, time I went to Disney it was with my parents. I was 21.

Mar 16, 2016
So I realized I posted this without really having my opinion of it added:
#1 - 3 hours for a pretzel? Yeeeesh. That's a heck of a stretch.
#2 - Parents with kids should be able to skip to the front? What? There would be a line anyways. That's absurd. I realize not everyone can do this, but get the magic pass if you can't be in line that long.
#3 - I'm 100% not ok with the 'slut shaming' this mom went through to make it out like this. Like was that woman supposed to just give her kid a pretzel because the kid wanted one?
#4 - Judging what people should and could spend their money on? GTFO lady. You don't know how or why that woman is there. Maybe she's a local with a pass, maybe she's the much older sister with a younger sibling, maybe her family has passes, maybe she's an employee on her day off. You don't know so don't judge.
#5 - If we have a resident psychologist, they can correct me if I'm wrong, but most 3 year olds aren't developing permanent memories to the level that the kids mom deciding to not wait 15 minutes for a damn pretzel is going to scar them for life.
#6 - If Disney isn't for kids, why are you there? Even with a kid?

Sorry, but it's parents like this that feel entitled that tick me off. Like, I get it, I don't have kids so I don't 100% know what it's like. But I was a camp counselor for 10 years. I learned that you have to somewhat anticipate kids needs. Be ready to hit the bathrooms every 2 hours. Be ready to get a snack 3 times a day outside of meals. Be prepared for rage storms, melt downs, anxieties. Honestly, a parent that reacts like that to not waiting in line to get their kid something like a pretzel strikes me as a parent who's kid saw it as they walked past and didn't want to stand in line. I don't know if this was a single mom or not, but if she wasn't, have your partner stand in line while you occupy your kid with something else. I've done all those things as a camp counselor and I wasn't even the parent that worried about all of that. I was smart enough to do that working at a camp when I was 16-17-18 years old. With a 3 year old kid, you're likely at least 20 years old and have had your kid long enough to know you have to be prepared to react to things like that.

This era of "everything has to be fair" but "I have a reason to be first" is getting out of hand. She made a comment about people looking at her like a bad mom because of her kids reaction. I bet it wasn't the kids reaction that got the looks, I bet it was how she reacted to her kid. Because there are thousands of moms with thousands of kids at WDW and WDL daily having meltdowns. I've never once judged a parent based on what the kid did. I judged the parent (somewhat) on what they did to their kid.

Sorry but /rant

Last edited:

Ice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAKGaiMP8xs&ab_cha
Silver Donor
Jan 5, 2018
Frederick, MD
Is that THE Josh Spiegel? Of 98Rock's Justin, Scott and Spiegel?? Fucking daddy.

Anyway, this is absurdly stupid.

Apr 17, 2017
Don’t know why I’m stating this until now, but the fact that she described Disney World as an amusement park is just plain baffling. Disney World is a RESORT composed of four THEME parks, two water parks, Disney Springs, a variety of hotels, and other leisurely activities. “DW is a FAMILY amusement park!!!” well to be honest lady, I have my suspicions that your IQ is that of a twelve year old with mid-functioning ASD. I mean what park were you at anyway? You honestly think the Magic Kingdom is Disney World on its own? Just because the California version is referred to as Disneyland? End of rant.

Zachary

BGW Eggspert
Administrator
Sep 23, 2009
Newport News, VA
twitter.com
I think a lot of perfectly reasonable, educated, intelligent people don't differentiate between theme parks and amusement parks, Magic Kingdom and Walt Disney World, etc. I think this lady is insane. Trying to justify that assessment via picking apart terms used interchangeably all the time outside of enthusiast circles seems like a pretty petty approach though if I'm to be honest.

Login or Register to Hide This Ad