Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

horsesboy

DarKoaster stalker
Advisory Panel
Silver Donor
Jun 16, 2013
I was at BGW today and once again thought of an idea I have had for along time why not find some way to allow for the purchase of digital copies of photos?  This could be as easy as selling them through a blue tooth like to smart phones.  I mean I almost never buy photos especially at the parks prices but if I could get a digital copy for a few bucks I be willing to do that.  Also it would allow for easier social media sharing of the photos and maybe some free advertising for the park.  I mean a photo with the parks info and ride name on it going up on FB or twitter might interest friend who see it to come for a visit to.

Mushroom

Getting aHEAD of myself
Advisory Panel
Feb 12, 2011
RE: Imprasing technology

I'm sure somebody else can clarify, but I do believe you can upgrade a photo package to include a physically printed photo plus a flash drive with your picture on it (or is this at a different park entirely and I'm just going crazy?). Now to me, that just seems silly. The whole point of my wanting to purchase a digital version of my photo would be to create a new window of easier and more awesome things to do with it. I don't want to pay a ton of money for a physical photo if all I care about is the digital file. I've wanted to make a picture of my family riding in the front car of Apollo our Christmas card picture for years, but our scanner is garbage and it isn't really worth the effort and money with a printed photo.

Using a flash drive would also be wasteful and uneconomical, so I really like your suggestion of somehow just transferring/sending the file directly to a device. I suppose even emailing it would work?

I'm glad you brought this up. :) If they did this, it would lower prices but hopefully up profit margins and would certainly increase photo sales. I can actually see them doing something like this someday. Nice!

MAZ

Jan 30, 2014
Richmond

Joe said:
If they did this, it would lower prices but hopefully up profit margins and would certainly increase photo sales. I can actually see them doing something like this someday. Nice!

I totally agree. 1 person in 25, spending $15, is nothing compared to EVERYBODY spending 3 bucks to have the pic texted to them. Sharing online would be instant, and as stated before, benefits the park with more 'real-life' advertising through the 'hey look what i'm doing' thing. Great Idea!!

Reactions: Mushroom
Apr 7, 2012

The on ride photos they offer now should be free. They cover the photo with logos and make it look like an ad. They should give a small digital pic covered in watermarks and ads for people to share on Facebook and such. If the guest likes the photo enough then they can have a high resolution copy without the watermarks. I have one I love but the logo and border makes it look cheap.

Feb 9, 2013
RE: Imbrasing technology

We're talking like ride pictures that the park takes on roller coasters,(i.e. LNM, AC) and things like that. So instead of having to buy a paper copy, we can just buy a digital copy.

horsesboy

DarKoaster stalker
Advisory Panel
Silver Donor
Jun 16, 2013

We are talking about it as a concept there currently in no system in place for it.

netdvn

Team Instinct
Jan 12, 2012
in the rear
dvn225.deviantart.com

I know a number of parks already do the "stick your photos on a drive" concept and I really like that idea. As far as Busch goes, the park gives you CDs with all the pictures on them at the end of the day should you choose to buy them that way. CDs are pretty cheap anyway, so I don't think the park is gonna go all USB on us (at least yet).

I believe Verbolten has digital downloadable pictures you can buy on top of the CD/DVD copies. I can't speak for the other rides.

The park outsources its photos from another company, so I doubt the park will be giving photos away for free anytime soon. They have to pay for the camera infrastructure somehow.

BTW; you spelled "Embracing" wrong. ;) It's a nitpick but it's seriously bugging me.

Aug 17, 2010

I visited a Six Flags park a couple of years ago, I think it may have been Discovery Kingdom, and they sold a photo package that included digital images on a flash drive that you could purchase. It wasn't more expensive, in fact it may have been cheaper, and it was pretty cool. I'd love to see more parks embrace this.

horsesboy

DarKoaster stalker
Advisory Panel
Silver Donor
Jun 16, 2013
RE: Embrasing technology

netdvn said:
I know a number of parks already do the "stick your photos on a drive" concept and I really like that idea. As far as Busch goes, the park gives you CDs with all the pictures on them at the end of the day should you choose to buy them that way. CDs are pretty cheap anyway, so I don't think the park is gonna go all USB on us (at least yet).

I believe Verbolten has digital downloadable pictures you can buy on top of the CD/DVD copies. I can't speak for the other rides.

The park outsources its photos from another company, so I doubt the park will be giving photos away for free anytime soon. They have to pay for the camera infrastructure somehow.

BTW; you spelled "Embracing" wrong. ;) It's a nitpick but it's seriously bugging me.

Don't know about Verbolten but all the options for other rides only list actual hard copy photos I don't see any CD options listed.

I may not have maid this clear but I am talking about PURCHASING pictures digitally not giving them away. One option if they went the phone route might be to even let people pay for them with there phones.

Also fixed the spelling error.

May 3, 2011
Richmond, Va
horsesboy said:
I may not have maid this clear but I am talking about PURCHASING pictures digitally not giving them away.  One option if they went the phone route might be to even let people pay for them with there phones.

Kings Dominion does this to an extent. I'm not sure if you can do it with ride photos, but when you get your picture taken at the front of the park, they give you a pink slip with a picture number and you can hand that to Front Gate Photos to view your photo and purchase it from there. However, there is a link at the bottom of the pink card that you can go to and view it. The link directs you to the company that the park contracts out, so in KD's case, Photogra. From there, you can view a preview of it and they'll let you buy the printed copy of it.

The system isn't the best because it takes a few days for the picture to show up on their website. When you request notifications to see when the picture will be live, they then send you the photo for every holiday and they add special borders around it pertaining to it. It's very neat. But no, they don't sell digital copies online. It would be smart, but they don't.

Reactions: Mushroom
Apr 1, 2010
NC
Carowinds sells a usb drive that you purchase with any photo in the park. Then, for that season, ANY photo (front of park or ride, etc) can be added to the thumb drive for a discounted price.

Reactions: Zachary
Dec 23, 2011
Verbolten does have digital copies you can purchase; however, from what I am told it takes at least 4 days to process.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad