Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
I haven't seen the fireworks yet, so I'd like to know from where they launch in the park, and is there a place where they can be viewed clearly with the Eiffel Tower as a backdrop? I'm picturing something kind of like the castle at Disneyland with the fireworks over or behind it.

Reactions: Russell
gardener14 said:
I haven't seen the fireworks yet, so I'd like to know from where they launch in the park, and is there a place where they can be viewed clearly with the Eiffel Tower as a backdrop? I'm picturing something kind of like the castle at Disneyland with the fireworks over or behind it.
The fireworks go off somewhere in the back of the park, way beyond where guests can go. The clearest, straightest viewing point is in the middle of the park's Grove section, near the Drop Tower, so, yes, the fireworks are somewhat centered with the center of the park. In other words, all of the fireworks are all at a distance from directly behind the Eiffel Tower. From pictures I've seen, I'd say your best bet is either an up-close shot from directly below the tower and up into the sky, or across the fountains and to the top of the tower, at the beginning of International Street, at the entrance plaza. Hope this helps. :)

EDIT: Like from here...
4596863401_cc2bb24671_o.jpg

Or here...
919056_10151377858081875_608245385_o.jpg

Note that neither of these images are mine and they belong to their respective url's website.

Basically, try to get a shot from the center with the rest of the park behind you.

Elevator Spiel Going Down said:
Hey, welcome back, I hope you enjoyed that view!
You may or may not find it interesting to know, but this tower was designed and fabricated in Austria. Once it was shipped here it took 6 1/2 months to build and 2 1/2 months to paint. This tower is constructed of 700 tons of steel, 18,000 bolts, and 1,500 gallons of paint. It was completed in 1974, a year before the park opened, at a cost of 2.2 million dollars, which in today’s currency is roughly 10.3 million dollars. Once y’all reach the bottom, you may exit to the doors to my right. And I hope y’all enjoy the rest of your day here at Kings Dominion! Ride On!
I have a recording of the elevator ride going down. So I decided to write down the spiel. Hopefully this coming season I will remember to get a recording of the elevator going up.

Unrelated thought, triggered in my stuffed-up head by that elevator spiel.  I wonder if "Ride on" is the best tag line for a park that is trying to redefine itself as more than a coaster park?  I wonder if they will still say it this year?  I can’t recall: do all of the Cedar Point parks say that?

Reactions: Russell and Zachary
All of the CF parks say the slogan for the year. As far as I know, they use new slogans when one becomes stale. I have to give them some credit for trying to bring back some of the charm that was there in the 80's. Regardless of what they are trying to accomplish, there is a crapload of rides there and most are quite intense.

Reactions: Russell
Welcome to Kings' Dominion's Eiffel Tower.  The tower rises to a height of 331 1/2 feet, which is 224 feet shorter than the Washington Monument.  It is a 1/3 scale replica of the original Eiffel Tower, located in Paris, France, which rises to a height of 987 feet.  This elevator is currently travelling at a speed of seven miles per hour, or 10 feet per second (Note: on windy days, the elevator was slowed to half speed, and the spiel would state 3 1/2 mph, or 5 ft/sec). May I please have your attention!  I must inform you that Kings' Dominion does prohibit the dropping or throwing of any object from the side of the tower.  This does include spitting.  There will also be no eating, drinking, or smoking while on the ride platform.  You will be leaving through the doors marked "Exit".  When you wish to return, please form a line at the opposite doors, marked by a small green handrail.  You are up 265 feet (Note: if on the West platform.  275' for the East), enjoy your view.

Evan pid=91590 dateline=1391571018 said:
Elevator Spiel Going Down said:
Hey, welcome back, I hope you enjoyed that view!
You may or may not find it interesting to know, but this tower was designed and fabricated in Austria. Once it was shipped here it took 6 1/2 months to build and 2 1/2 months to paint. This tower is constructed of 700 tons of steel, 18,000 bolts, and 1,500 gallons of paint. It was completed in 1974, a year before the park opened, at a cost of 2.2 million dollars, which in today’s currency is roughly 10.3 million dollars. Once y’all reach the bottom, you may exit to the doors to my right. And I hope y’all enjoy the rest of your day here at Kings Dominion! Ride On!
I have a recording of the elevator ride going down. So I decided to write down the spiel. Hopefully this coming season I will remember to get a recording of the elevator going up.
The down spiel always used to be quoted at 15,000 bolts.  I wonder if the spiel changed, or the ride op got it wrong?

Ahh, you know your close when you see the Eiffel Tower. It not only is a great view at the top but it resembles the park and the pure fun and enjoyment of the park. Although BGW is way cleaner, KD is the original and is bigger. The Eiffel Tower is more of a way of showing what KD is rather than it just being a view at the top.

I have assorted photos from KD between the years of 1975 and 1977.  I am unsure when these photos of and from the Eiffel Tower were taken.  My family visited Lion Country Safari before the monorail was in place.  We actually drove through the preserve in our old, brown Dodge (with no AC as I recall). I have some of those photos so I believe the year for those was 1975.  

This is my favorite photo from the top of ET

Attachments

• 1975 - 1977 Eiffle Tower top view GeoUSA.jpg
    1975 - 1977 Eiffle Tower top view GeoUSA.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 42
  • 1975 - 1977 Eiffel Tower International Street GeoUSA.jpg
    1975 - 1977 Eiffel Tower International Street GeoUSA.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 39
I really hope KD spends some $$ on a refresh of the tower. It could use some love, paint, and sprucing up. It feels so bare bone.

indeed ti did.

I would love to see some kind of waterproofed flooring on the observation decks and better lighting.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad