Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Mar 11, 2013
Ive changed my lifestyle where i eat a lot healthier, and that means even on vacation. Does anyone know the best places to get a salad that wont break the checkbook, calorie count, or wont be small and piddly? I try to eat a salad at lunch and a wrap or veggie burger or something low cal and healthy for supper even on the road. Ive looked in the My fitness pal app, and only one food is in the current database, so i was wondering if anyone has done this? We love the park, and were driving so i don't mind packing a cooler and bringing my own healthy things with me if i need to, saves money that way, and wont kill my calories for the day, but i like to feel like one of the normal people and order with the family. Im doing really well with the weight loss, and the last thing i want to do is binge because im in the park.

I am right with you on this! I like the Smoked Turkey Salad at the Festhaus. It is a large salad with a nice serving of turkey that is roasted in house.

I also suggest splitting meals. For example: The sampler platter at Grogan's comes with a pork chop, potato, and stew. If you split meals like this 50-50; there will plenty to fill you up all while saving calories.

I stick to strawberries for dessert as well.

Since I have a wheat allergy; I leave off the roll in every meal. Splitting the brisket and fries (with no roll) is also a a way to enjoy good food without feeling guilty.

Festhaus cafe also has grilled panini sandwiches to order. I am sure you can delete any extra calories you wish. Many of the restaurants can custom make items for you as well. Less sauce- less cheese... etc. Just ask when you get there.

From Eat This, Not That! Restaurant Survival Guide ~ "At the Amusement Park"
Eat This:
1. Hot Dog with ketchup French Fries with ketchup
and mustard ~ 545 calories
~ 259 calories

2. Sweet tea [or better Lemonade
yet, unsweet!] ~ 130 calories per 8oz
~ 58 calories per 8oz

3. Italian Ice Dippin' Dots
~ 120 calories ~ 190 calories

4. Caramel Apple Cotton Candy
~ 215 calories (plus real
fruit)

5. Corn on the Cob with butter Baked Potato with sour cream and chives
~ 155 calories ~ 393 calories

Not That:
1. French Fries with ketchup
~ 545 calories

2. Lemonade
~ 130 calories per 8oz serving

3. Dippin' Dots
~ 190 calories

4. Cotton Candy
~ 220 calories (of empty sugar)

5. Baked Potato with chives
The numbers correspond to better choices and similar poor choices at the park (sorry it's a bit confusing, I'm adapting this from a diagram in a book)

This is just basic amusement park info. My family has always tried to have been pretty healthy, so I can probably help here. I often get the chicken breast at Trapper's and at the Festhaus (sans skin sometimes). Just remember: balance is they key to success, since theme parks aren't exactly where you go to be the healthiest eater!

If you want to clarify or need more detail on the info above, let me know. Hope this helps :cool: !

I am not the most healthful person in the world ( as evidenced in my frequent posting in the Big & Tall Thread) but for me I will usually get a wrap in park, which comes with the fruit. Occasionally I will endulge myself for dinner, and visit the Mongolian place in Williamsburg, after I leave the park ( but even there I watch myself). Resisting snacking is also a must at any Amusement/Theme Park.

Check out the Menus thread for ideas on prices at all the major eateries. It looks like most of the salads and wraps are going to be about $8.50-$9.00.

My tips for eating healthier at the theme park:

-Split sampler platters (also saves $$)
-Substitute or stay away from french fries
-Choose a cup of FREE ice water instead of a soda or tea
-Go for the light beer
-Eat popcorn with NO butter!
-Eat smaller portions
-Finish eating and THEN go back for dessert or something else if you still want it
-Drink plenty of water too
-Stay away from all the (delicious) fried snacks

Hey, I got the turkey instead of the ham. :p
While I am dieting, BGW is a place I go to to enjoy all the senses, that includes taste.

Nora said:
Festhaus cafe also has grilled panini sandwiches to order. I am sure you can delete any extra calories you wish. Many of the restaurants can custom make items for you as well. Less sauce- less cheese... etc. Just ask when you get there.
Is this the eating line to the far left as you enter? I have never been there and would love some grilled panini sandwiches.

Pretzels are one of my weaknesses its going to be hard to be back in the park and not have one...But ive worked too hard to throw it away on something like that. Thanks for all of your input. I dont mind paying a bit more to keep me healthy. I just know how hard it can be to stay on eating healthy when your on vacation, and ill be there for a week, ill take a look at the menus, and kind of get an idea of where i can and cant eat in the park, and plan accordingly. It sounds like there will be plenty of salads and wraps and healthy options. The good news is im more of a fruit man, im not a big lover of chocolate, and ive never had soda in my life, im a 100 percent water person, so that will help there for sure :) Thanks again for all the input, i think with a little planning ahead of where has healthy options i can enjoy my second trip :)

I mentioned this in the other thread, but with the pretzels, they are cheaper without the chips, so you don't have those extra calories.

chickenking said:
Nora said:
Is this the eating line to the far left as you enter? I have never been there and would love some grilled panini sandwiches.

Festhaus Kaffee is on the back right of the building from the main entrance. You don't have to go into the general area and head left if it's crowded. They sell some good sandwiches there, my favorite being the Cuban. They also have dessert, coffee/cappuccinos, wine, and BEER! Usually better beer choices than you'll find in the main lines too. I think they have a beer sampler you can purchase.

Found the menu on BGW's website:
Festhaus Kaffee said:
Salads:
Mediterranean
Chef
Asian Chicken

Sandwiches:
Italian
Club
Cuban
Turkey
Roast Beef
Caesar Chicken Wrap

Kids Entrees:
Grilled Cheese
Cheese Quesadilla

Sides:
Homemade Chips
Pasta Salad
Side Salad
Potato Salad
Fresh Fruit
Applesauce

Desserts:
Lemon Pound Cake
Chocolate Pound Cake

Beverages: Coffee, Espresso, Tazo Tea, Iced Tea, Beer, Wine, Assorted Coca-Cola Products

Reactions: chickenking
OMG!!! Cubans! They have CUBANS?!? My all-time favorite sandwich. I'm never gonna lose weight going to BG. Lol.

I always thought that area was for some kind of special reserved feasting. Now I know. Thanks!

Looks like most places have the mixed greens salad, or a chicken salad, or a chicken Cesar wrap. Those may be good choices. Any way i can cut out calories im all for it :)

Also, I emailed the park and the supervisor at each of the main restaurants can tell you all about the ingredients and nutrition info for all of the food in the restaurant and nearby snack places. The supervisor at Grogan's Grill is the know-it-all for the entire park. :-D

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad