Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Mar 8, 2022
Martinsburg, WV
twitter.com
To be fair, I don't know if that's the part at all related to this particular issue, just that it seems elevator components on various rides are usually the main issue for large parts biting the dust and needing replacement.

But could did Intamin design the lifts so that theoretically they could take a spare for I305 and use it on Drop Tower or Eiffel Tower? My guess is probably not.
I've always thought the drop towers were more of a "winch" type system as opposed to an actual elevator design like the cable lift coasters.

That being said, I'm sure Intamin tries to use similar parts as much as they can but even in doing that, things are so drastically different. I also think that Intamin likely stocks a lot more than people give them credit for. I still continue to wonder how much A3 is actually doing for all of the CF chain..... I wonder if they expanded and when CF says there is a delay in the part it's just that it's taking A3 longer to reverse engineer and produce a replacement than it would if they just ordered the part from Intamin.

Reactions: Jonesta6

Jonesta6

Glumble
Feb 14, 2019
I've always thought the drop towers were more of a "winch" type system as opposed to an actual elevator design like the cable lift coasters.

Not exactly sure what differences are on the actual cables themselves, but generally all an elevator is is a motor-powered winch for the purpose of raising or lowering something on a guided track of sorts.

But even with that general definition, it's not likely in my mind that the motor or cable drum system from one type of ride could be repurposed for another given the different forces and loads at play.

Mar 8, 2022
Martinsburg, WV
twitter.com
Not exactly sure what differences are on the actual cables themselves, but generally all an elevator is is a motor-powered winch for the purpose of raising or lowering something on a guided track of sorts.
IIRC the motor(s) for drop zone is at the top and it is just a one way hoist of weight while gravity pulls the catch car down and "unwinds" the winch. The elevator type system basically pulls in both directions in very controlled speeds. Are the cables the same? Maybe.... but you're talking different cable routing and a lot more cable for an elevator system. This is my understanding..... I'm fairly confident but I could be wrong.
But even with that general definition, it's not likely in my mind that the motor or cable drum system from one type of ride could be repurposed for another given the different forces and loads at play.

Yea, I agree. I can't see any part really being used on both rides. I supposed it's possible to use the same motorwith very different gear boxes but I would imagine lifting capacities vary greatly as well.

Reactions: Jonesta6
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad