Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

Merboy

Resident Sea Monster
Oct 25, 2009
Raleigh, NC
www.thelanternlight.com
Hi everyone! I'm new to the forums, but I've loved BG forever. I just went this past weekend for HOS and it was SO much fffuuunnn!!!! Anywho, I just wanted to ask what happened to Drachen fire? I've heard a few rumors ranging from technical malfunctions to endangered birds nesting on the tracks. What really happened to it? Why did it close? I only got to ride it years ago maybe twice.

Glad to be here!

Zachary

Administrator
Sep 23, 2009
Virginia
Merboy said:
Hi everyone! I'm new to the forums, but I've loved BG forever. I just went this past weekend for HOS and it was SO much fffuuunnn!!!! Anywho, I just wanted to ask what happened to Drachen fire? I've heard a few rumors ranging from technical malfunctions to endangered birds nesting on the tracks. What really happened to it? Why did it close? I only got to ride it years ago maybe twice.

Glad to be here!

Welcome Merboy! All you would ever want to know about Drachen Fire you should be able to find here. It is a great read. Also, if the history of the park interests you, you might want to check out Chris' complete history of BGW and his history of the Big Bad Wolf. And once again, welcome. :cool:

~Swiftman

Merboy

Resident Sea Monster
Oct 25, 2009
Raleigh, NC
www.thelanternlight.com
Oooooo what a great read! That was so interesting and yeah, that's exactly what I thought the real reason for closure had been. I was very young when I rode it but I do remember the coaster batting my head around a lot.

I love that this article also mentions that the plot of land available for a new attraction or country is further expanded by the removal of BBW. That really makes me excited. Though, I did always wonder what other countries might be considered for new additions to the park.

Finland/Sweden/Norway are all separate countries that would likely be themed too similarly to have any particular one; Eastern Europe would be too similar to Germany and the temptation would be to lean towards a gothic transylvania theme which might undermine Howl-O-Scream; Greece is too similar to Italy... So the likely candidate (as we've all guessed) is Spain. But has BG made this official yet? Or is this just speculation right now? I'm very curious to see what sort of attractions would be in Spain.

Sep 23, 2009
All speculation right now, but all the chatter is currently pointing towards Spain. Glad you enjoyed the article.

Merboy

Resident Sea Monster
Oct 25, 2009
Raleigh, NC
www.thelanternlight.com
Chris said:
Glad you enjoyed the article.

I'm just so thrilled that this site/forums exist. I *love* Busch Gardens and have since I was a wee tot barely tall enough to meet height requirements. I'm so happy to find other people who enjoy the park as much as I do.

Sep 23, 2009
Always glad to meet other people that appreciate the park enough to talk about it. So, we're as happy as you are that you found us. By the way, not sure of your age, but you said you were small when Drachen Fire was operating. Do you remember Eagle's Nest, the little playground over by Le Scoot (Log Flume)? You might be too young, or you might be just old enough to remember it.

Reactions: Madddog1010

Merboy

Resident Sea Monster
Oct 25, 2009
Raleigh, NC
www.thelanternlight.com
Chris said:
Always glad to meet other people that appreciate the park enough to talk about it. So, we're as happy as you are that you found us. By the way, not sure of your age, but you said you were small when Drachen Fire was operating. Do you remember Eagle's Nest, the little playground over by Le Scoot (Log Flume)? You might be too young, or you might be just old enough to remember it.

I don't remember it, I was born in 84 and didn't start going to BG until maybe the early to mid 90s.

Fur Dozy

Mayor of Busch Gardens Tampillsburg
Nov 5, 2009
Food for Thought:
They say that if the train were replaced the fire could have kept on burning.

Nov 27, 2009
Drachen Fire is one of those roller coasters that I've never been on, but have been obssesed over. It sure looked like one hell of a ride. I bearly remember visiting BG in the mid to late 90's and seeing Drachen Fire operate at a distance (but that's all a blur to me to this day since I was three or four? lol). And visiting back in 2000, I remember riding the train seeing the ride sitting there. It was weird becasue I was somewhat aware that the ride was closed even though no one told us. Anyways that article was great. I learned a few things that I din't know before.:D

Dec 27, 2009
Fur Dozy said:
Food for Thought:
They say that if the train were replaced the fire could have kept on burning.

I have read the same thing and I wonder if BG ever looked into that before scraping the coaster. I would hate to think they threw all of that money away without seeing if it was possible to salvage it somehow. I rode the Drachen Fire many times, one day we rode it 8 times without having to get off. I miss it very much, but that may be because I hate to see any coaster destroyed.

Sep 23, 2009
North Carolina
Okay, here's the thing. Arrow was going out of business about that time. The way they designed coasters was with the center of gravity at the center of the train. Every other coaster that is built these days designs the center of gravity on the rider's heart. But what company would have wanted to make trains for another company's ride?

Nov 25, 2009
Florida
I don't think getting new trains would have helped.

When they design coasters now, they have two separate force lines.. The forces that the train feels and the forces that the rider feels (which is obviously above the track right around the rider's chest). Taking that into consideration, it was a serious design flaw and Ron Toomer really screwed up. New trains wouldn't have helped much.

Although I think the ride was a complete failure, I'm a complete nut over this ride. :)

Nov 27, 2009
http://www.rcdb.com/1204.htm

I believe this coaster has possesion of DF's old trains. Even though the trains didn't make the ride better, I still think they were awesome looking and made DF special. It's also cool how the trains lit up at night. That's something you don't see on a lot of roller coasters.:D

Sep 23, 2009
It looks like there were a few coasters that used the DF style trains. Here is another one that had that style of train:

http://www.rcdb.com/104.htm?p=10892

I don't have 100% confirmation on this, but I'm pretty sure the DF trains were kept in storage and used for spare parts as needed.

But, you're right, this type of train looked better than the old sharp Arrow design.

Nov 27, 2009
Ah, I see. I just remember hearing somewhere that the trains are being used for a coaster in Japan and I kinda assumed it was that one. I really would like to see the trains now, if they haven't been horribly taken apart.

Nov 27, 2009
Sorry for the double post but another thing I'm wondering. Some time between the 95-96 off season, did Drachen Fire's cobra roll get replaced? From pictures I've seen 96-01, the cobra roll had bracings on them. Did it have the same problems that the three mega Arrow loopers (Shockwave, Viper, GAMS) vertical loops have?

Fur Dozy

Mayor of Busch Gardens Tampillsburg
Nov 5, 2009
Welcome to the forums! Drachenfire was located behind where the Big Bad Wolf was. Both the Queue and Maintenence sheds still stand and are used as Howl-o-Scream mazes. The area is now used for concerts and other special events. Today it is hosting the Ramp Jam. heres is a link to a pic of a map with Drachen fire on it: http://www.themeparkbrochures.net/maps/1997/bgw1997.html.

Sep 28, 2009
Virginia
Drachen Fire had to be one of the most beautifully landscaped rides in the whole country at the time. Pity the ride never worked to its potential. :-/

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad