Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Feb 9, 2013
destroyer421 said:
JuniorBGWfan28 said:
Also, I've noticed that the ride has been experience a lot less technical difficulties than the other rides even the B&M's
If you were to be at BG from 10-10 on a Saturday in the summer with 3 train operation, and do nothing but watch Nessie all day long, you would see it stop for a setup at least 3 times.

Yea I guess that is true, but you have to admit, Griffon has a lot more downtime than LNM, but how often do you see it actually break down, not when it needs to be reset, but when it gets stuck throughout the ride. Now I have been going to busch gardens since I was a wee baby and only have gotten stuck on one ride. Yea it was BBW, in the howl-o-scream time on the last lift hill, but it was only for 5-10 mins before they got it running again. Overall, LNM is one of the top coasters in the park with the least downtime, if not the top. The only ones it has competition with is Apollo's, and maybe alpengeist.

RE: Loch Ness Monster Extended Queue

I was at the park last summer and one of Nessie's trains got stuck on the lift hill. A really loud emergency alram that could be heard half way across the park. They got the people off the ride and they got it up in running in about half an hour.

JuniorBGWfan28 said:
destroyer421 said:
JuniorBGWfan28 said:
Also, I've noticed that the ride has been experience a lot less technical difficulties than the other rides even the B&M's
If you were to be at BG from 10-10 on a Saturday in the summer with 3 train operation, and do nothing but watch Nessie all day long, you would see it stop for a setup at least 3 times.

Yea I guess that is true, but you have to admit, Griffon has a lot more downtime than LNM, but how often do you see it actually break down, not when it needs to be reset, but when it gets stuck throughout the ride. Now I have been going to busch gardens since I was a wee baby and only have gotten stuck on one ride. Yea it was BBW, in the howl-o-scream time on the last lift hill, but it was only for 5-10 mins before they got it running again. Overall, LNM is one of the top coasters in the park with the least downtime, if not the top. The only ones it has competition with is Apollo's, and maybe alpengeist.
I've been stuck on Nessie about 3 or 4 times. Never been stuck on Griffon, Apollo, BBW, or Verbolt. I've been stopped once on Alpie at the brakes outside the station because the train in the station wouldn't dispatch.
Nessie is a great ride and has impressive up time for its age, but I wouldn't call it the ride with the least downtime in the park.

EDIT: One time I was in line to ride Nessie and there was a slight increase in the voltage the lift hill was using and it stopped. Also, I remember there was one time I got to the park in the afternoon adn went to ride it but it was close due to "issues with the brakes".

BGW is good with downtime.Once I was stuck on dueling dragons for 45 minutes. That sucked :(. However, I've never been stuck on any BGW ride except Pompeii

I would hate to get stuck on the lift hill after the cave, before the second loop. That would stink!

Hoopla said:
I would hate to get stuck on the lift hill after the cave, before the second loop. That would stink!

Why? As I recall there is an evacuation platform and a path leading around the side of the cave. Plus it is not too far off the ground ( height is a big personal fright of mine). With that in mind my fear would be getting stuck on one of the big drops ( i.e. Alpie's first drop, Griffon first, the bridge on Boltie etc.)

I wouldn't mind it except the factor that you're isolated from everything except the skyride which is only but so exciting to watch.

Hoopla said:
9 times out of 10 that's where I get stopped. Never had to be evacuated before though.

destroyer421 said:
Hoopla said:
9 times out of 10 that's where I get stopped. Never had to be evacuated before though.

Yea I'm not sure about what I'm going to say, because I don't work the ride, but the only reason that is where you mainly get stuck is because when they are running 3 trains, and there is one in the station, and final block brakes you have to stop there. Or else you would crash into the train on the final block brakes, and the reason they don't evacuate you is because once they dispatch the train in the station, and the train on the final block goes into the station then, they can start moving the lift again.;)

You're correct. If there's a problem in the station while they're running 3 trains the last train will be stacked on the 2nd lift.

destroyer421 said:
I would have to say that the ride with the best downtime percentage is Apollo. Anyone agree?

Well, Apollo does surprise me sometimes when it breaks down, and how may times it gets stuck on the lift hill and has to be evacuated. Oh and don't even get me started on how bad they are about putting trains on and off Apollo's. They know that it is going to be crowded, but for some odd reason they will wait till the middle of the day to put a third train on to reduce the wait of the line. However, Verbolten is making its mark in the most downtime of a ride, but that can be expected with a launch coaster. Also, Griffon can join into the competition, but it isn't that bad. Overall I think the Top three with the least downtime are LNM Griffon, and Alpengeist.

Edit: Oh and Alpengeist, can take the most time to load out of all the rides in the park, that's why I don't see a reason for running 3 trains on that ride unless it is a VERY busy day.

I honestly think Verbolten gets a bad rep for having downtime. It hasn't had that much downtime especially for a new coaster that just opened. It had probably two months at most of major downtime problems and then afterwards downtime was literally cutdown to a few minor things here and there and maybe one or two days of major downtime. For a new coaster that just opened, I expected a lot more downtime, and I think Verbolten will run more smoothly this year with very little problems. Plus, you also have to factor in that the ride itself is very technical and temperamental because of all the technology infused with the ride.

EDIT: As a disclaimer I will say I know nothing about coasters technical wise and I honestly can't tell what is or isn't normal for downtime, but if I had to guess a brand new coaster that just opens should be expected to have much more downtime than a coaster that has been open for three or five years. To me personally this sounds about right because it would make sense that the Maintenance team needs to record every problem and go through every thing and basically write the troubleshooting guide as problems arise.

Reactions: CastleOSullivan

Verbolten had a little bit more downtime than usual for a new coaster. I remember I305's downtimes were only to remove a train from the track then it was reset then good until they went to put it back onto the tracks and that's not really a breakdown just design issues for I305's case. Verbolten had some cases were it had a couple days out of commission. Even with I305's problems they were able to keep the ride open while they changed the restraints, trims, and final turn. Verbolten did have a lot 15-30 minute breakdowns but they added up during the day quite a bit. Also remember break downs and operator error can be different also.

hmm, perhaps these posts should be moved to a new thread...

A thread dedicated to the downtime of anything. Rides, shows, etc.

Party Rocker said:
I honestly think Verbolten gets a bad rep for having downtime. It hasn't had that much downtime especially for a new coaster that just opened. It had probably two months at most of major downtime problems and then afterwards downtime was literally cutdown to a few minor things here and there and maybe one or two days of major downtime. For a new coaster that just opened, I expected a lot more downtime, and I think Verbolten will run more smoothly this year with very little problems. Plus, you also have to factor in that the ride itself is very technical and temperamental because of all the technology infused with the ride.

EDIT: As a disclaimer I will say I know nothing about coasters technical wise and I honestly can't tell what is or isn't normal for downtime, but if I had to guess a brand new coaster that just opens should be expected to have much more downtime than a coaster that has been open for three or five years. To me personally this sounds about right because it would make sense that the Maintenance team needs to record every problem and go through every thing and basically write the troubleshooting guide as problems arise.

Evan said:
Verbolten had a little bit more downtime than usual for a new coaster. I remember I305's downtimes were only to remove a train from the track then it was reset then good until they went to put it back onto the tracks and that's not really a breakdown just design issues for I305's case. Verbolten had some cases were it had a couple days out of commission. Even with I305's problems they were able to keep the ride open while they changed the restraints, trims, and final turn. Verbolten did have a lot 15-30 minute breakdowns but they added up during the day quite a bit. Also remember break downs and operator error can be different also.

hmm, perhaps these posts should be moved to a new thread...

I kind've split the threads :p With limited abilities.

Reactions: I305Evan
Don't you guys think that Alpengeist takes forever to load their trains. This is why I don't see a point in putting 3 trains on this ride. Because By the time they have the train loaded, and it is ready to leave the station there are already the two other trains in the final block. However, sometimes If there is a fast working crew operating it they can sometimes get the train out 10-20 seconds before the 3rd train hits the final block. Which barely gives the train that was sitting outside the staton enough time to get in the station. Anyone agree with me?

Reactions: Luke
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad