Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Mar 16, 2016
Thought I would mention something important about not losing ones keys on the coasters.  Been going to BGW since 80's and finally in '16 it happened on Alpengeist.  I sat up to get off the ride and my keys were gone....its a horrible feeling.  I make it a priority to check them before and after every ride.  Filed with lost and found, but to this day nothing so far.  I think its a 30 day grace period to find the missing item.  The park was kind enough to let my car stay 2 days in the parking lot w/o issue.

The solution from that point forward was the use of a Carabiner clip attached to a line which hooks to jeans and keys will sit easily in the pocket, and cannot be lost as a result.  I got mine over at Lowes where the line on the clip was long enough so keys fit in the bottom of my pocket.(Something very similar to this:  https://www.lowes.com/pd/The-Hillman-Group-Carabiner-W-Strap/3182219  $2 vs. a big headache is a no brainer).

This is something that the park could really benefit off of by selling an item similar to this for those riding coasters.  Maybe even something for phones too.  Just a thought.

Reactions: GeoUSA
RE: Don't lose key's on coasters....

I believe the park would prefer you rent a locker. Keys and phones both fall under their loose articles prohibition.

I believe some people use pockets with zippers.

Reactions: horsesboy
Does the park not sell any keychains with Carabiner clips?

I thought I've seen them in gift shops but I'm not sure. I haven't bought a keychain at the park in ages.

As Nicole said. Park wants you to use lockers which is why they have continued the expanded use of them next to more and more rides.

I can't tell you how many times this came up in my time working for BEC. Making an assumption only things haven't changed I can tell you they don't go looking for these items in any semblance of time if ever at all. Just because of the location, time, manpower and area to cover that is involved. Especially once the park closes and night falls with limited staff.

Typically they mostly rely on others to see and return or a maintenance person working the area to "run" across it. Just the reality of it.

When they cleaned the drains/filters in RR it's crazy what used to be found. And that's even before it was emptied for the season.

Last year I stopped by Guest Services and heard a guy complaining about his cell phone fell out on a ride and he used I guess his girlfriend phone with the find a phone feature GPS to tell them where it was and they basically told them while the park was in operations they weren't going to shut whatever ride it was down to go find his phone. No clue if he ever got it back.

A little off subject but related. I wear glasses as I am horribly near sited. I have always taken them off on coasters which does take away a good bit from the view. Does anyone have any good safe suggestions for wear them on coasters?

I relied on glasses up until a few years ago when. I got contacts. What I always did was take off my glasses during the coaster ride. Get a hard glasses case to put them in while riding.

Reactions: horsesboy
I was just thinking, I wonder if Tile would help with a situation like this. CI'd imagine if it was marked lost, there are enough guests that an accurate location wouldn't be too hard to get.

Same premise as what I was talking about with the cell phone find a feature and GS. Guy was told even though he knew where it was they weren't going to shut a ride down.

Also have to remember many coasters go through tree lined ravines, water and more. Even using the assumption knowing the exact GPS location if it's stuck in a tree, in water, ravine, etc. the park employees safety at the end of the day are more important then your keys, cell phone or whatever lost item.

I know that's not what people want to hear. But the park shouldn't have to risk employees climbing up trees, in water or down around coasters on a daily basis to find these items when they could easily be secured in the provided lockers, your car, or with another person not riding.

It's been a long time since I used the lockers at BG. Back then you still were given a key with a wrist bracelet that can still be lost so your back to square one in a way. Do they still do that today or give you a ticket stub?

TimBG said:
It's been a long time since I used the lockers at BG.  Back then you still were given a key with a wrist bracelet that can still be lost so your back to square one in a way.  Do they still do that today or give you a ticket stub?

It's PIN based these days. They also have a deal where for $5 you get unlimited access to lockers all day. Lockers are worth getting these days.

I would hate to be injured on a ride because someone's cellphone slipped from their pocket and hurtled straight at my face. That is a completely avoidable situation. Forget that your phone landed in a tree or a lake or whatever, what about MY FACE!?!?!

At Kings Dominion if you return to the ride after they close, an employee will attempt to find your lost item. I lost my brand new phone on Intimidator the very last day of operation last season. There were 3 people who lost stuff that day on that day on that ride. I was the only person who was able to recover their lost item. They found my phone on the catwalk next to the final brake run (not a scratch on the phone). I usually keep my phone in a zipper pocket, but forgot to that day.

horsesboy said:
A little off subject but related.  I wear glasses as I am horribly near sited.  I have always taken them off on coasters which does take away a good bit from the view.  Does anyone have any good safe suggestions for wear them on coasters?

I'm in the same boat along with my son. We use Chums eyewear retainers. There's a ton of them on Amazon. I've used them on everything from the Grover coaster to Griffon (even Intimidator 305). I would have used them on Tempesto too if they didn't make me take them off. Never had them fail or slip.

I also sport the cargo's. The pockets only button instead of zipping, but nothing has ever fallen out of them. *Knocks on Wood*

Reactions: Zachary
Merboy said:
I would hate to be injured on a ride because someone's cellphone slipped from their pocket and hurtled straight at my face. That is a completely avoidable situation. Forget that your phone landed in a tree or a lake or whatever, what about MY FACE!?!?!

I remember standing in line once at the Gryphon off to the right and a cellphone came crashing down on the sidewalk near everyone. Lucky no one was injured.

Reactions: Merboy
Oh damn. That's like a modern day Zeus showing his displeasure. But that's exactly what I'm talking about, completely avoidable! Very glad no one was hurt because a free falling iPhone could kill someone. I remember last Spring some teenagers were throwing coins from Mach Tower. I'm not sure that would actually properly injure someone but I'm sure you'd get a nice sting if any of them made a direct hit.

Reactions: Zachary and Nicole
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad