Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Apr 17, 2017
Something that bothers me and some other people is that Dominator has no theme. Many other B&M roller coasters have at least some sort of theme that ties the name to its color scheme or the ride experience. I thought that giving the floorless coaster a pirate theme would be nice, and that could also tie in with the adjacent Berserker to form an archetypical pirate themed sub-section of International Street. I also think the ride could still hold the Dominator name, because that's technically what sea pirates do. They ransack lands and towns looking for treasure and fight off those in their way.

I don't know about most of you, but I haven't been a fan of how the bright orange and yellow track contrasts with the navy-blue support structure. I also don't know how long it's been since Dominator was last repainted. If it has been a long time (and I admit the orange may be starting to go pale), I think they could repaint the top of the track yellow and the spine orange (reverse for the vertical loop) and change the supports to a lighter blue shade. Or they could go with the orangish-copper color for the track (leaving the loop yellow) since Cedar Fair has done that on many of their recent coasters.

As for the trains, one of them could keep its original yellow color with black and orange restraints to represent the gold that pirates crave, but the second train would be repainted cyan to reflect the seas traveled by pirate ships, and the third train magenta to symbolize either the treasured jewelry or even sea monsters the pirates would face. I'm not sure if the restraints kept their original orange paint at the bottom after their repaint in 2014 or if it was changed to orangish-yellow (amber).

The theming around the ride would involve the buildings for the station, storage, and souvenir shop repainted (or covered by wooden planks if they want to go that far) to have an old rustic tone to make the area resemble a pirate hideout. The shades in the queues would be redone to resemble something close to ship masts, and lanterns and torches (at least those with fake fire) would replace the lights along the pathways. The plaza would gain a new tense soundtrack that would give off something like a POTC or an ancient warfare movie vibe. The Dominator logo would also be redesigned as well so that the font fits in with the pirate theme, and pirate flags of courses would be put on walls and hanging from banners strewn over the walkways. To take things steps further, the interlocking corkscrews section could have rockwork built around the tracks to make for near-miss elements when trains whiz through, representing either jagged ocean rocks or rocky terrain on islands that pirates travel to.

These are only thoughts I had since Dominator doesn't have a definitive theme, but who knows what Kings Dominion has in store for the future. If they didn't retheme it as soon as it was relocated here from Geauga Lake, maybe they didn't intend to give a new theme. Mainly I thought it would be interesting if something like this happened, especially since a lot of other B&Ms, especially in Cedar Fair, have at least some layers of theming.

Dec 7, 2021
I believe it was rethemed to Dominator in GL when CF took over the park. Either way, yes, it could use some theming as it is the definition of a parking lot coaster. Like seriously, that spot used to be the bus parking for KD...
At least they made it look nice- it doesn’t literally still have parking spaces underneath it *cough cough Medusa and scream cough cough*

Apr 4, 2017
It’s very generic. They could at least give it a name that fits International Street better.

I know this isn’t ever going to charge but I always disliked it’s placement with the lift hill facing the park. At Geauga , the entrance to the ride was under the cobra roll. It had a grand feeling The way it faces the parking makes it feel like it’s in the parking lot at KD.

Reactions: Mwe BGW
Oct 20, 2019
I always assumed it was named Dominator because it sounds similar to Dominion, and dominates the park skyline from the front gates. And with it being a parking lot coaster/first thing you always see at the park, it made enough sense to me. Took me an embarrassingly long time to make that name connection and realize that the name didn’t just come out of thin air.

Nov 1, 2012
I always assumed it was named Dominator because it sounds similar to Dominion, and dominates the park skyline from the front gates. And with it being a parking lot coaster/first thing you always see at the park, it made enough sense to me. Took me an embarrassingly long time to make that name connection and realize that the name didn’t just come out of thin air.
One of the nicknames given for the state of VA, that goes way back in time, is the "Old Dominion".

The park is named Kings Dominion. The former steam train ride was called "The Old Dominion Line". Dominator is just a play on the word "Dominion". The track and supports were given a new color scheme and the trains a complete makeover with a new color scheme and new seats.

The way the coaster is situated in the park, it never stuck out to me as needing a major theme. To be honest, the ride does not really "dominate" the views within the park. I-305 and the Eiffel Tower are prominate eye magnets. Maybe a little generic; but not enough to think it needs strong theming. The park never marketed the ride with ties to any character, storyline, myth, or time/era to need strong theme elements.

Mar 18, 2017
I consider it to be the perfect coaster theme and its plaza looks better and is more relevant than most themed entrances. It makes a bold statement it needs no theme but itself. They do need to keep it clean and bright, and go back to playing pipe organ music during Haunt.

Reactions: Coasternerd
Dec 7, 2021
I consider it to be the perfect coaster theme and its plaza looks better and is more relevant than most themed entrances. It makes a bold statement it needs no theme but itself. They do need to keep it clean and bright, and go back to playing pipe organ music during Haunt.
I agree here- the ride doesn’t really need a theme. The ride can be pretty intimidating with its insanely loud roar.

horsesboy

DarKoaster stalker
Advisory Panel
Silver Donor
Jun 16, 2013
It’s very generic. They could at least give it a name that fits International Street better.

I know this isn’t ever going to charge but I always disliked it’s placement with the lift hill facing the park. At Geauga , the entrance to the ride was under the cobra roll. It had a grand feeling The way it faces the parking makes it feel like it’s in the parking lot at KD.

I mean it is in a parking lot so you are not wrong.

It actually was renamed while still at GL and operated the last two years as Dominator.

Personal I have thought for a long time that they just need to purchase the rights to hot wheels or matchbox as the image of my old car tracks from my youth is always what pops into my head when I see it.

Jonesta6

Glumble
Feb 14, 2019
Grave Digger: the coaster. Because when I think of a huge graceful (minus the rattle it's developed) B&M floorless coaster, I think of the one monster truck anyone and everyone can remember.

/s

SLC Headache

The Spirit of the Forest is a raging Karen
Aug 9, 2017
This suggestion reminds me of what they did with Vortex at Canada's Wonderland, giving it a new logo and a new look for the trains to fit the themed area better.

Nov 1, 2012
I mean it is in a parking lot so you are not wrong.

It actually was renamed while still at GL and operated the last two years as Dominator.

Personal I have thought for a long time that they just need to purchase the rights to hot wheels or matchbox as the image of my old car tracks from my youth is always what pops into my head when I see it.
Dominator is NOT a parking lot coaster. If you want to see a parking lot coaster, go to SF Magic Mountain.

The park completely removed the asphalt and regraded the land that Dominator sits on. The ride plaza and station now sit below the original grade of the former bus parking lot. Notice how you gradually walk down-hill by 3-4 feet from I-Street/Berserker to the ride entrance/exit plaza? The only part of the ride that comes close to the original grade of the bus lot is the turn-a-round between the corkscrews at the far end. I think that is why the coaster does not overpower I-Street or Planet Snoopy. It is only when you are walking the path that parallels the ride that the coaster really stands out. To me it is KD's ride billboard for the parking lot and route 30. As stated earlier, the coaster does not really stand-out once you are in the park.

Apr 17, 2017
Well one thing's for sure, retheme or not, that blasted clear-the-track spiel is staying. Having to listen to that while walking to Gate 3 every morning for work made me compare myself to everyone else who had a coaster as their location. Was grateful to have Boo Blasters though.

Reactions: Coasternerd
Apr 4, 2017
Dominator is NOT a parking lot coaster. If you want to see a parking lot coaster, go to SF Magic Mountain.

The park completely removed the asphalt and regraded the land that Dominator sits on. The ride plaza and station now sit below the original grade of the former bus parking lot. Notice how you gradually walk down-hill by 3-4 feet from I-Street/Berserker to the ride entrance/exit plaza? The only part of the ride that comes close to the original grade of the bus lot is the turn-a-round between the corkscrews at the far end. I think that is why the coaster does not overpower I-Street or Planet Snoopy. It is only when you are walking the path that parallels the ride that the coaster really stands out. To me it is KD's ride billboard for the parking lot and route 30. As stated earlier, the coaster does not really stand-out once you are in the park.
The definitely get credit for planting grass instead of building over the asphalt.

However it’s backwards placement facing the parking lot makes it feel more like it’s in the lot than than park. imo.

Nov 1, 2012
The definitely get credit for planting grass instead of building over the asphalt.

However it’s backwards placement facing the parking lot makes it feel more like it’s in the lot than

However it’s backwards placement facing the parking lot makes it feel more like it’s in the lot than than park. imo.
Backwards for Geauga Lake. Rightwards for KD.

The vast majority of park visitors to KD don't have a clue about Geauga Lake. Only the few who visited the park under Six Flags or CF know its original orientation. As I stated in an earlier post, KD had to orient the ride to best fit the space and the access points to it. Also, I think it was oriented the way it is to be visible to route 30 and the parking lot. It is the park's ride billboard. Simply "eye candy" to those driving by or walking to the park entrance.

Plus, if the ride was flipped, facing Planet Snoopy instead, how are you going blend it in with a kid's area?

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad