Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Think it’s highly optimistic “opening Spring 2023”; I’m betting it opens closer to Memorial Day, maybe Mid June.

Looks fun and quite a long ride. Definitely looking forward to trying it at some point, but not sure when I'll next get there.

Why for you think that?

I fully expect it will open in March.
I can’t recall any of their coasters that have opened on time. (With the landscaping and testing cycles required before even a soft opening, I’m gonna say around Memorial Day. Though; technically Summer doesn’t begin until mid June, so it would still fit the traditional definition of summer. Just not the theme parks definition of a Summer)

I haven’t been to Dollywood since 2012……I feel like that will need to be corrected next year. This ride looks just like a ton of fun with the family and it just goes on and on.

I haven’t been to Dollywood since 2012……I feel like that will need to be corrected next year. This ride looks just like a ton of fun with the family and it just goes on and on.
It’s radically different now. (Since 2012) some ride removals (😢Mountain Slidewinder being the one that hurts the most for me) But some epic additions. The park still retains a lot of its simple charms; but the experience is top tier.

And the food..... oh man; they are on point in that department.

I can’t recall any of their coasters that have opened on time. (With the landscaping and testing cycles required before even a soft opening, I’m gonna say around Memorial Day.
Wild Eagle opened March 24.
FCE opened March 22.

Many previous rides opened in early April.

Then LR was supposed to open in March but had Issues.

I forget why DF didn't open til May 10.

Wild Eagle opened March 24.
FCE opened March 22.

Many previous rides opened in early April.

Then LR was supposed to open in March but had Issues.

I forget why DF didn't open til May 10.
Firechaser had soft opening and it was up down until they got it dialed in. (I remember the fireworks section wasn’t synced up initially) And Lightning Rod (Though I love it) has been a constant mess. First it was weather, but then it ran for me on a 54 degree day with misting rain, while it shut down on a sunny 85 degree day in August.

The Dropline didn’t open on time either.
As for Dragonflyer; I think it was actually ready, but the rest of the landscaping wasn’t.

Firechaser had soft opening and it was up down until they got it dialed in.
I visited for spring break that year, late March I believe (maybe early April) and rode it. I don't recall any issues or a later official opening.

They have a history of March/April openings. I expect similar unless weather causes delays.

LR was an outlier, and remains finicky.

I though DF was probably more waiting the rest of WWG. That was a lot of cleared land to get ready and multiple rides.

Reactions: Coasternerd
I visited for spring break that year, late March I believe (maybe early April) and rode it. I don't recall any issues or a later official opening.

They have a history of March/April openings. I expect similar unless weather causes delays.

LR was an outlier, and remains finicky.

I though DF was probably more waiting the rest of WWG. That was a lot of cleared land to get ready and multiple rides.
I went for opening, in March, also twice between then and Memorial Day. (Once for a Saturday - Sunday excursion; then for a Wednesday through Monday excursion, and experienced multiple downtime’s/closures. Returned in July for the fourth, everything was running smooth, albeit long lines, ditto my two day excursion for Labor Day.... I hit up BGW, Carowinds, DW and Kentucky Kingdom that week. Exhausting drive, but really fun. Hit minimal crowds at all the parks)

Reactions: Coasternerd
I went for opening, in March, also twice between then and Memorial Day. (Once for a Saturday - Sunday excursion; then for a Wednesday through Monday excursion, and experienced multiple downtime’s/closures.
Guess I just got lucky then.

Guess I just got lucky then.
Only reason I remember so vividly is because it was my first trip to DW. I enjoyed the whole experience so much, I returned five separate times that year. The whole Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge Sevierville experience is just phenomenal.

In fact; I didn’t visit the Great Smokies until 2018 when a freak happenchance afforded me a free flight on a helicopter tour.

Reactions: ST Dog
Dollywood posted to Twitter that it will be open in May. I'm going in early June, so hopefully no changes to the timeline and will get to ride it.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Direct Link to Embedded Media Source

I have good sourcing that this is an updated time-line and unless something significant and unexpected occurs it should be solid.

Reactions: Nomrah
That looks really fun. I don't think I'll get there this year, but hopefully some year soon.

Got great looks in person yesterday. With everything at Dollywood (aside from Firechaser) being criminally short, this track looks loooong. That waterfall is very prominent along the pathway too.

Last edited:
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad