Login or Register to Hide This Ad
Sep 24, 2018
I have to agree. I really enjoy the Skyliner and it has brought back Art of Animation, Pop Century and Caribbean Beach as resorts that I will stay at. Before I avoided them because it took forever to get from them to other parks. But now it's convenient to get to Epcot and HS from those parks. It's also my preferred way to go between Epcot and HS.

Ice

With Love Until We Die
Silver Donor
Jan 5, 2018
Baltimore, MD
Counterpoint.

The first time we rode it, the weather was mild, and it was a pleasant trip. On our next visit to Disney, the temperatures were in the upper 50s / low 60s, and it was very unpleasant. The vents behind the seats blew cold air right at seat level on my back, and I understand the other side was equally chilly. I wonder how hot the gondolas will get in the Summer, as well.
I noticed on the colder days, taking that second on boarding to close all the vents possible actually made a world of difference. I'm also quite tolerant of cold compared to many others, so I may be an unreliable source for this one.

As for the heat, I can't imagine with all the ventilation that they will turn into ovens like many suspect, so even if they are the same temperature as outside, that seems reasonable. You know damn well going there in summer that you're gonna be really hot the majority of the time, and there is little that can be done to avoid it. But only time will tell how the gondolas fair in the summer

Reactions: BGWnut
Nov 24, 2009
We have rode with temps in the 90s and sun and it was very confortable inside. There are a number of gondolas with gouges in the window film....its on the outside so you cant blame guests.....but where those gouges are you can really see how much they are tinted. I still dont understand why they slow down and stop so much though, espically the Epcot line.

Ice

With Love Until We Die
Silver Donor
Jan 5, 2018
Baltimore, MD
I still dont understand why they slow down and stop so much though, espically the Epcot line.
With the continuous motion loading system (basically an omnimover ride) and the super small time window they have to load and unload these quickly and without issues due to how many gondolas they have running at once, it's very easy for something to throw a wrench in that requires an extra second or two and causes the slow downs / stops. I witnessed a couple times a young kid either running back off the gondola upon loading or getting off and running back on at unloading and the ops would have to either stop it or do the slow down thing (usually the big slow) to accommodate. I imagine this is more felt on the Epcot line due to there being 3 stations involved compared to 2, and the fact that the Rivera station is just a nightmare to begin with.

Nov 24, 2009
With the continuous motion loading system (basically an omnimover ride) and the super small time window they have to load and unload these quickly and without issues due to how many gondolas they have running at once, it's very easy for something to throw a wrench in that requires an extra second or two and causes the slow downs / stops. I witnessed a couple times a young kid either running back off the gondola upon loading or getting off and running back on at unloading and the ops would have to either stop it or do the slow down thing (usually the big slow) to accommodate. I imagine this is more felt on the Epcot line due to there being 3 stations involved compared to 2, and the fact that the Rivera station is just a nightmare to begin with.
We have been in gondolas with 8-10 people and even with strollers and there is no problems getting on or off in time if people just pay attention. I think the biggest issue is strollers and the fact people refuse to take a few extra steps before trying to open the monster double wides. They are super strict on that yellow line. The time window given is really gracious.

Reactions: BGWnut and Ice

Ice

With Love Until We Die
Silver Donor
Jan 5, 2018
Baltimore, MD
If only the average park goer was well known for paying attention, then the system would work brilliantly. Of course a small slow down or stop lasting a minute or two really isn't much of an inconvenience, but of course, this doesn't address the break down issues that have been quite obvious. To me, this just comes with a skyride system, as compared to internal combustion engines and a glorified metro train they are quite unreliable.

That being said, when it's working right, it's so damn good compared to everything else they have. I'll always be pro-installmoreoftheseplease

Nov 24, 2009
From a couple sources the issue on the Epcot line needs a downtime of a number of days to repair. No idea what it is but I assume they are limping it along for now. The reason I consider them unreliable at this point because of operating hours and the fact you never know if they will be open untill you walk all the way to the entrance. Two examples, we got a Rise boarding pass then went to EP by Skyliner. When our group got called we haded to the Skyliner only to find out it was down. We took the Friendship boat which we stopped at every stop. We just made it back to our boarding time window. Another night leaving EP we were told it was down and there were "Skyliner" busses at Boardwalk Resort running to Art, Pop and CBR. We got there and no busses. Talked to another transportation person at Boardwalk and he said as soon as Skyliner opens the busses stop and most likely it reopened while we were walking there so we missed the bus. Another night HS closed at 10pm, we rerally didnt think about it but walked out at just a couple minutes before 10. Literally 2 steps from the umbrella at the station it closed so we have to then take the bus, which we then didnt get back to pop till just before 11pm.

All these issues will work themselves out with time once operating hours become more standard

Aug 23, 2017
From a couple sources the issue on the Epcot line needs a downtime of a number of days to repair. No idea what it is but I assume they are limping it along for now. The reason I consider them unreliable at this point because of operating hours and the fact you never know if they will be open untill you walk all the way to the entrance. Two examples, we got a Rise boarding pass then went to EP by Skyliner. When our group got called we haded to the Skyliner only to find out it was down. We took the Friendship boat which we stopped at every stop. We just made it back to our boarding time window. Another night leaving EP we were told it was down and there were "Skyliner" busses at Boardwalk Resort running to Art, Pop and CBR. We got there and no busses. Talked to another transportation person at Boardwalk and he said as soon as Skyliner opens the busses stop and most likely it reopened while we were walking there so we missed the bus. Another night HS closed at 10pm, we rerally didnt think about it but walked out at just a couple minutes before 10. Literally 2 steps from the umbrella at the station it closed so we have to then take the bus, which we then didnt get back to pop till just before 11pm.

All these issues will work themselves out with time once operating hours become more standard
I know youve been a number of times, do you know how strict they are with the boarding pass times?

Also, as to the loading process, if any of you have ridden an rmc raptor you can see how people have no intent on paying attention to how to load and unload efficiently. In line for a ride that disallowed cell phones, there are 3 sets of dots on the ground for grouping riders before having them load one rider at a time in the continous moving station. The line prior to these dots surrounds the area making it nearly imposible not to see the process happening several times before you get to the front of the line. Still, without fail, every time ive been in line for one, the ride attendants are scurrying to guide confused riders to the correct area and avoid delays.

Personally, similar to yourself im sure @WDWRLD, and many others in this forum, i am used to planning where im going and what to do next. I think, however, many park goers simply want to wander around and more or less be wisked through their day by what they see that pops out at them and therefore just in general act more passive in queues and such.

Obviously i am probably over thinking this. I dont think its a matter of the system being effective and easy to use, but simply guests that dont care to bother about how effectively they are allowing the ride to operate or even how effectively they are getting through the various areas and attractions during thier day.

Nov 24, 2009
I know youve been a number of times, do you know how strict they are with the boarding pass times?
I really dont know because I didnt want to try the system and loose. But with that said one day I was talking to a CM and we were discussing riding and boarding groups. It was never specifically said but I think if you miss your time for a legitimate reason that the guest experience team can see that you had boarding passes that were not used and possibly could gain you entry. I dont know if there is a built in time period like with the fastpasses.

warfelg

Advisory Panel
Mar 16, 2016
Pathetic, ride is open but doesn't work right ;)

Anyways, clearly something is getting missed in dispatching or the speeds coming in.

Apr 22, 2019
The thing I don't get is that aren't these bumping at other parks too, and it's pretty much designed that they can bump? What is everyone all up in arms about, including Disney it would seem?

May 3, 2011
Richmond, Va
They look to have bumpers on each of the corners, but in the article linked above- it shows the glass is shattering upon impact. Which I think it would be safe to assume that they are making impact at a much faster speed than what is considered "within limits".

warfelg

Advisory Panel
Mar 16, 2016
The thing I don't get is that aren't these bumping at other parks too, and it's pretty much designed that they can bump? What is everyone all up in arms about, including Disney it would seem?
There's quite a variety of reasons, biggest coming from height, angle, and speed of decent along with loading and unloading times. Sounds like (from a friend that's there a lot) that there's often loading backups, which cause gondolas to back up, which shortens the stopping area. Can't really do a e-stop on something this big. I think WDW needs to find a way to expedite the loading and unloading process as well as slow the rate of movement.

Jonesta6

Glumble
Feb 14, 2019
There's no block system possibility here, otherwise it'd be interesting if they could figure a way to create something similar.

I'm thinking the gondolas use a similar rail system in stations that most Von Roll skyrides use, so could they theoretically extend a rail out to the last support before each station and have a controlled descent with an appropriate gap between cabins.

If there's a station delay, each gondola holds their position - if the backup is long enough, it forces an e-stop on the main cable. Not knowing distances or anything, I think in this setup that there'd be enough capacity to where it'd take a fairly long station delay to where an e-stop may have been necessary anyways.

Login or Register to Hide This Ad