Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Jan 28, 2010
Back in the 90's, Disney wanted to build an America-themed park in Northern Virginia. I remember hearing about the failed plan growing up, but I never knew the details until recently when I watched this YouTube video.

Defunctland: The War for Disney's America

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this park. Also, how do you think it would have affected Busch Gardens and Kings Dominion attendance?

Reactions: tursiops
I feel as though if Disney stepped foot in Virginia, it might open Virginia up to be the next Orlando. I would imagine that Universal might also want to grab a spot as well.

I feel as though if Disney stepped foot in Virginia, it might open Virginia up to be the next Orlando. I would imagine that Universal might also want to grab a spot as well.
Where does Six Flags America fit in that picture, if they can even survive that much competition.

I remember the shitstorm when it was announced back 1993. State leaders and Disney held a huge press conference. There may be some videos out there. Within a few days the Chesapeake Bay Foundation (CBF) and several other environmental groups condemned the project. The CBF claimed the project would lead to uncontrolled development similar to Disneyland and subsequently damage to the Chesapeake Bay. CBF claimed that the area would be inundated with subdivisions, strip malls, big box stores, etc. Claims were also made that the project was to be built on Civil War battlefields. The project would not have been on any battlefields. Yes, there were some close, but they would not have been impacted.

Unfortunately, CBF missed a great opportunity to get in on the ground floor with Prince William County to help them craft a well thought out comprehensive plan as well as environmental and stormwater requirements. Back in 1993 many of the regulations and requirements we use today were in their infancy and not fully developed. CBF could have been a great watchdog to ensure that the project was environmentally friendly as well as any adjacent developments.

Within a few weeks Disney cancelled the project. They ultimately sold off all the property. The area is now a mishmash of subdivisions, strip malls and big box stores.

Disney's on-site plan, based upon the graphics I saw, was well thought out. They had lots of water features and green space. Stormwater discharges would have been minimal. I'm sure there would have been some sensitive environmental impacts, but mitigation back then was fairly easy. I think the project would have been successful, provided the weather was cooperative.

It is Disney, so they'd have likely tried to operate a year-round park like their other parks.

If the American history aspect was anywhere close to what we saw for concept art in that video, I feel like it would have been a fairly interesting concept that could have worked year round with some attractions being seasonal if they weren't completely indoors in a climate controlled setting (who the hell would ride any sort of water ride in 30 degree weather, and how many coaster or flat ride manufacturers would have had the technology to allow the rides to operate below the usual minimum temperatures we've discussed elsewhere?).

Ultimately though, being Disney still may not have been enough to get people from the major metro areas close by and to the property without any major transportation hubs close by (don't see a Metro line being extended that far out, highly doubt FAA/localities/Virginia would approve another airport close to the park).

Reactions: tursiops
I'm sure they could have worked that in somehow - the fantasy of what could have happened if x American historical event went differently or didn't happen.

Though that opens it up to all sorts of nasty things, it could also be something like Mars colonization instead of heading to the moon, what if we never had Prohibition, etc.

The big issue, and the video alludes to to, is what they wanted to do with the Americana theme is basically already around us. Revolutionary war? Check. Civil War? Check. Small town fairs? Check. The only one we didn’t have was the Wild West. So why pay $80-100 a person to see a recreation of the barre of Gettysburg when you can drive the 2 hours and see the battlefield for $20 a person.

There were of course other zoning and planning issues for them to consider.

As for the impact on VA parks? Would have been great. Think of the “trail” people could have done in a 1 week trip. Hersheypark -> 2 hrdrive -> Disney -> 2 hr drive -> KD -> 2 hour drive -> BGW -> 6 hr drive -> Carowinds. Or conversely another hour and beach.

It is Disney, so they'd have likely tried to operate a year-round park like their other parks.

If the American history aspect was anywhere close to what we saw for concept art in that video, I feel like it would have been a fairly interesting concept that could have worked year round with some attractions being seasonal if they weren't completely indoors in a climate controlled setting (who the hell would ride any sort of water ride in 30 degree weather, and how many coaster or flat ride manufacturers would have had the technology to allow the rides to operate below the usual minimum temperatures we've discussed elsewhere?).

Most headliner Disney rides are either indoors or have a major indoor component. So I don't imagine that being a huge problem. As for the minimum temperature requirements, it was my understanding that flats in general don't tend to have them or at least the limit is extremely low .. like in the teens. The biggest issue would have been their coasters.

I think they could totally do a year-round park, just based on brand popularity alone. Everyone wants to visit Disney, and I am sure they could make it work.

That said, I think the America theme was a poor concept. Like mentioned, Virginia is a living American history textbook. The American history theme is well played out. In fact, it was my understanding that BGW was originally going to be themed to the colonies, but the idea was eventually rejected because of the already existing historical areas around.

I think an World Showcase exclusive park or Epcot in general would actually flow really nicely with Virginia in general. The World Showcase would compliment America's history as a melting pot of nations.

The temperature wouldn't be a problem. I don't think Paris is too different from us, still gets plenty cold in the winter, maybe colder. And Tokyo also gets all four seasons. If I'm not mistaken snow is not uncommon. Heck even Shanghai now isn't exactly balmy in the winter. Half there park locations experience all four seasons.
I'm also not crazy about the theme, but i have faith they would have pulled it off.

The temperature wouldn't be a problem. I don't think Paris is too different from us, still gets plenty cold in the winter, maybe colder. And Tokyo also gets all four seasons. If I'm not mistaken snow is not uncommon. Heck even Shanghai now isn't exactly balmy in the winter. Half there park locations experience all four seasons.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but weren't they planning this years ahead of the other parks?

So even though @Gavin may pull though with evidence that they were going to do a more traditional seasonal park, my thought is that at the time, most ride manufacturers wouldn't have yet had some of the technology to keep the rides consistently operating in Virginia's crazy climate.

That's not to say some couldn't operate, but could require more downtime for maintenance in return - not something Disney parks are generally known for.

Most older flat rides and coasters can run in any climate. That's why most of the flats at BGW are operational during Christmas Town. Hell Loch Ness technically doesn't have a shutdown temperature so it can run in anything.

Reactions: VonDerrick
Tokyo opened in 83 and Paris in 92, but they could have still preferred a seasonal park here.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad