Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Dec 23, 2011
As per Zachary's request I am replying to this in a new thread.

Matthew said:
It actually doesn't make sense. BGW has a very similar way of operating, like our government does. Each department is a branch, and they all have there expressed powers, the powers that are specifically given to them, then they have implied powers, the powers that they have to use to carry out their expressed powers, and then there's reserved powers, powers that aren't given to any of them. Now would it make sense for congress to take the supreme court's power to appeal court cases? No, because that would be an abuse of powers, they can't steal powers from another branch. Truthfully that's how I see it, I believe in the power of our government, and you'd be surprised how all types of things like businesses are set up to resemble our government. That's how I see it, as an abuse of powers, they shouldn't be allowed to take another department's expressed power, it wouldn't make sense, and it's unfair and corrupt.

Matthew, there are major differences between government and business. For one thing, as mentioned elsewhere, the Entertainment Department not only knows how to operate and maintain special effects, but they also know how to use them in such a way for them to be more effective and promote the theme. They have the knowledge and the supplies. All maintenance knows is how to fix it. They really do not know a lot about how to effectively use the effects to support the theme.

Party Rocker said:
All maintenance knows is how to fix it. They really do not know a lot about how to effectively use the effects to support the theme.

It really seems like your argument is sort of centered around this statement, which is where I see your argument losing credibility PR. Maintenance does a lot of work for the rides, including as far as it goes in regards to theming. Heck, in the past parks have enlisted their maintenance department to build and theme rides completely (Blazing Fury at Dollywood comes to mind).

Reactions: Jrbgwfan06
Joe, if you look at any ride maintenance college degree or even job description, I am very certain that being educated in theming is not listed. Why? Because maintenance as the name of the department says it best, is only to maintain the function of the ride. Their job is not to design anything. They should only be there to maintain. There is some fluidness that some parks can choose which department does what, and yes in some cases a maintenance department could probably build an entire ride by itself, that said it is not something that happens all the time. Maybe occasionally by that is is.

Not to mention he has no proof to support that maintenance doesn't know how to theme things. It's an opinion. Did maintenance do a bad job at theming Verbolten, or Darkastle? No. Sense Entertainment has taken over on ride effects, Verbolten lost all sound the first 2 or 3 weeks of operation this year. A bunch of Darkastle's effects have broken from their revitalization in 2012, already. Posters have been covered up in Verbolten's queue, now they're just blank white boards. Darkastle's exterior is very run down. Shall I go on?

Entertainment people are definitely the ones with the "know how" in designing special effects. However, they should have people with experience in rides to implement the repairs.

The thing is, people don't sign up for event/show production expecting to ride white knuckle thrill rides. Those are two complete different mindsets. Most of them either; a)don't like rides or b)they are sensitive to motion, strobes, startle effects, etc.

It only takes one member of entertainment to ruin it for everyone that likes thrill rides. Add to that, the fact that they don't all ride on a daily basis. For that reason, certain things can quit working for a long time, if not forgotten about completely.

Party Rocker said:
They should only be there to maintain. There is some fluidness that some parks can choose which department does what, and yes in some cases a maintenance department could probably build an entire ride by itself, that said it is not something that happens all the time.
Just to back you up on this statement PR. The maintenance crew at Kings Island built/designed The Beast completely with 'in-house' personnel.

Reactions: Mushroom
Matthew said:
Not to mention he has no proof to support that maintenance doesn't know how to theme things. It's an opinion. Did maintenance do a bad job at theming Verbolten, or Darkastle? No. Sense Entertainment has taken over on ride effects, Verbolten lost all sound the first 2 or 3 weeks of operation this year. A bunch of Darkastle's effects have broken from their revitalization in 2012, already. Posters have been covered up in Verbolten's queue, now they're just blank white boards. Darkastle's exterior is very run down. Shall I go on?

Maint. does not theme anything. Entertainment is not involved in anything you've mentioned to my knowledge. Besides lights and fog.

Uh, no.

Design and Engineering designs, themes, and builds new rides. Design and theming for noteworthy projects are typically handed off to third parties- much like actual physical construction work is contracted out to construction companies.

Entertainment maintains some ride lighting and effects- most notably a good chunk of DarKastle's and some of Verbolten's.

Maintenance keeps rides running and handles the effects that haven't been designated to Entertainment.

The only important thing to know here is that both maintenance and entertainment have a hand in ride effects right now- not initial design.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad