Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
RE: Dead Line (2011 to Present)

I think it would be so cool to be a stage manager for Deadline. With this being an attraction that changes from a ride to a haunted house after 6 PM, there is a lot going on during the switch around. I think the one of the most complicated things is for the stage managers to keep scare actors evenly distributed throughout the house. Deadline has always had a reputation for the actors all congregating in one part of the house, and completely abandoning another part. For some reason, the scare actors seem to think that the beginning portion of the house is somewhat boring. To be honest, I don't really blame them, because there is not much space for them to move around at those parts. For reference, here is the original layout for Curse of Pompeii, which basically followed the same path.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    564.6 KB · Views: 136

This maze was way too dark. I couldn't see anything inside. I'm sure there were people trying to scare me, but I couldn't see them. This year the toilet was spraying water the whole time. Not a fan of that, but i did enjoy the rooms I could see. Again, maybe it's just this weekend, but very lightly staffed.

So my breakdown of Deadline for this past Sunday,

I love the new entrance, it is definitely more construction rather than just quarantined walls. I went in at night so I was adjusted to the dark previously, I can see how this may seem too dark if you come in straight from daylight.

I found the house more or less empty of scare actors, not too badly but definitely something I would change.

Throughout the entire house I thought it was lit just right. It wasn't too dark or too bright for me, then again my eyes are adjusted to the dark when I went in. I also kept in mind of the layout posted earlier while going through and that just made the house shorter than what it felt like in previous years, I'd love to see more layouts for other houses as well though.

Oh the toilet! When I went through, it seemed as they had a mister going on constantly form the opposite direction of the toilet. I didn't get wet exactly, I would say just barely misted.

pandorazboxx said:
This maze was way too dark. I couldn't see anything inside. I'm sure there were people trying to scare me, but I couldn't see them. This year the toilet was spraying water the whole time. Not a fan of that, but i did enjoy the rooms I could see. Again, maybe it's just this weekend, but very lightly staffed.

Just curious. Did you go in this maze during daylight hours? My buddies also couldn't see much. But I attribute that to one of them wearing glasses and them both not having their eyes adjust quickly enough from walking into the darkened DeadLine from a sunny day outside. Mythbusters did an episode about this and pirates with eye patches. Look it up; it does work! For myself, I almost always have dark sunglasses on, and my night vision is like an owl. I could see pretty much everything and everyone. Hootie hoot!! :cool:

EDIT:

Oh yeah. Don't forget that all of those nasty mop heads are dripping nastiness on you. :p

Yea I did go in at 445. I guess the key is to not try the houses when they open? :p

They should at least brighten it up a tad until it gets darker outside. I heard people around me also saying they couldn't see.

CK, how did you like crawling through the one low ceiling part? I'm only about 5'10" and I was over it half way into that part.

PR, that new entrance was definitely better. Once it gets staffed well it will hide the scare actors very well.

pandorazboxx said:
CK, how did you like crawling through the one low ceiling part? I'm only about 5'10" and I was over it half way into that part.

Oh man!! Not just this maze, but almost every one, except CC I think, had stuff hanging WAY too low this weekend. There were multiple places that I got hung up and in a choke position. Netting, that camo crap, rope, chains, you mention it...I was getting stuck or ripping crap down almost.

Reactions: CastleOSullivan

Rope hanging down is the worst. I'm not as tall as you guys, but sometimes it's low enough to catch me around the neck. It's the worst.

I always figured the hanging stuff was there to block your vision so its harder to anticipate scares. It doesn't really work when there's a crap ton of hanging stuff and no actors around though.

Everyone pretty much hit Deadline on the head. I went through the maze at around 7PM when it was still bright out and had a hard time navigating the maze. Me and my friends basically had to watch for exit signs to get out of the maze.

Actors were pretty good, but all were concentrated at the end of the maze. I was in the middle of a huge group so they seemed to get everyone around me. There was one near the entrance that got me good though.

Pretty solid maze, but didn't seem as good as it was last year.

Zachary said:
It really is getting absolutely absurd.

Not only that but, in Cut Throat Cove there were 2 smart mouthed/headed teenagers in front of me. And in the chain/insulated tube room they decided to start THROWING the chains/insulated tubes back towards me. I could dodge them and catch them at first. Then an insulated tube hit me in the nose!!! Then in an angry annoyed voice I told them to knock it off. If it weren't for the punishment of me getting banned form the park, I would've punched them because I was so angry.

netdvn said:
I always figured the hanging stuff was there to block your vision so its harder to anticipate scares. It doesn't really work when there's a crap ton of hanging stuff and no actors around though.

Exactly! You have too many distractions and no actors. I would assume this is the reason (which they obviously fail at...), but why care about the ghosties and such when you're fighting chains, vines, and mops!? :p I had my hands up almost the whole time in Deadline, and especially Cut Throat Cove, waving junk out of my face. I'd like to see the actual mazes, people, not stuff flying towards me. :dodgy:

Oh. And that toilet. *SHUDDER* I knew it was coming and avoided it's nastiness, but the poor suckers behind me didn't! :cool:

The wet mops were really gross. I saw a lot of guests hit them with their heads (I'm short enough to go under), but if they are bleached that's going to mess up their hair, and if they are NOT bleached there's going to be some nasty mold in those things. Yuk....

I went through Deadline in the light, and also in the dark. IN my opinion, in the dark there are areas that are still too dark. They need to add just a few more point light sources aiming in the direction of travel -- that way the monsters can move out of the dark into the "spotlights" when they want to scare. There were several times when the monster "scared" but nobody noticed because you could not see them.

Not enough monsters. But we went through friday and sunday of the first weekend. Going back next weekend when hopefully more monsters will be working.

I rate this about the same as last year. Too many monsters saying "get out", or making one-word grunts. Need the crazies to start following the line of people and talking to them....

So what I'm getting from this, they reduced the lighting from previous years and lowered the ceiling by a foot?

Reactions: Applesauce
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad