Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Jul 23, 2014
I guess this would be the place to post it. I have always been curious how this theatre worked. Maybe it was me but I felt all the rides used the same seat motion sequence as Days of Thunder and they just filmed the movie to that programming. As in the Days of Thunder seat motion programming was never changed and so if you went into 3:27 into Bond, Sponge Bob or the Stan Lee thing it was the same lean back to the right motion, etc.... Was this the case, did new films come with them having to reprogram the whole seats.

Reactions: Jonesta6

Jonesta6

Glumble
Feb 14, 2019
Having only seen Bond and SpongeBob once apiece when I was a kid, hard to say. I'm more curious if there's ever going to be a revitalisation of the space since they've proven they can make a Haunt maze/house out of pretty much anything.

Reactions: kmccarthy27
Nov 1, 2012
The Action Theater had the version of motion simulator where just the seat bases (in pairs of 2) provided the motion, in synch with the film. This included haptic vibrations in the seats themselves. There was no central theater motion base. The seat pairs were each bolted to a tiered, semi-circular, rigid concrete base

This was opposite type from BGW's Questor where all seats are bolted to one large theater motion base. And that one motion base provided the motion for all seats. Questor was a enclosed cabin with a small screen to watch. Later iterrations of the motion theater had the cabin removed and the motion platform/seats exposed to the main theater building and a much larger movie theater screen.

Not sure what the future holds for the building. I'm leaning against another motion simulator being installed there. Both Carowinds and CGA tried two types of replacement motion simulators in their Action Theaters 5-6 years ago. I am not sure if either are still operating as of 2021.

Reactions: belsaas and Zachary

Jonesta6

Glumble
Feb 14, 2019
I was kinda hoping for a complete demolition and replacement, though not sure with what. Maybe build a modern version of the outdoor show venue with a restaurant since that seems to be more in line with the focus on guest experiences over big thrill rides.

Nov 1, 2012
I was kinda hoping for a complete demolition and replacement, though not sure with what. Maybe build a modern version of the outdoor show venue with a restaurant since that seems to be more in line with the focus on guest experiences over big thrill rides.
At this point, your wish for demo and something totally new is just as valid as any other idea.

I realize that Safari Village is starting its transformation for 2022. I assume that will wrap up with a major attraction in 24 or 25.

I think management has Old Va in its sight as well with something in the next 3-5 years. Action Theater could be greatly altered or gone entirely within that time period.

Jonesta6

Glumble
Feb 14, 2019
Tbh, they could vastly change the landscape of that section by pulling out the theater and go karts, opening it up for maybe some flats, a large coaster in the woods (c'mon new woody - something they corner the local market on), dining, maybe a different theatrical facility?

Realistically, little if any of that will likely happen

Mar 18, 2017
The sense of motion was so much better with Elvira's Superstition. Days of Thunder would lean into the curves, dumping you towards the inside of the curve for long periods, emphasizing the unrealism. Can't remember if it was pure Nascar left hand turns or not, only rode it once it was so bad. I don't know if it could have worked to tilt the other way and tilt the view, but then the initial acceleration is wrong. Superstition, being a fantasy coaster, could avoid extended curves, emphasizing the seat acceleration and all four directions. I felt a bit sick after it, but not near as bad as the BGW simulator, which they always have to make as crazy as possible for some reason.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad