Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Apr 17, 2017
Are there any parts of theming or storytelling in an attraction that you find scary or disturbing (not counting those at Halloween events)?

I used to think the spinning saw near the drop of Le Scoot was terrifying when I was a little kid.

Nowadays, I know way too much and haven't had a chance to go somewhere where there's all that much invested to on-ride theming.

Oh I know it's coming. I just don't have the timing down for it. But it still doesn't make it easier.

But I rather avoid Verbolten at this point because the entire coaster tends to make me super sick, between the in door turns and how rattly it's become.

The hanging corpse at the beginning of the Haunted Mansion(s)! It’s so hilariously dark compared to the rest of the ride, even the parts that are supposed to be spooky.

A big shoutout to all of the super-intense themes in British coasters as well. Merlin coasters are either themed to “roller coaster” or GOVERNMENT MIND CONTROL or THE APOCALYPSE or HUMAN SACRIFICE

Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey catches me off guard when everything is working. Not particularly “scary” but it’s got a darker tone to it than most rides.

The station for KD’s Flight of Fear originally had clear tubes stuffed with dummies meant to look like the corpses of park guests. There were kids with stuffed animals, mothers with purses, etc. curled up in the fetal position and apparently embalmed inside the tubes. At some point they were replaced with the alien figurines you see today. KI’s FOF still has the original figures, but they’re wrapped up in tarps.

Revenge of the Mummy’s fake-out ending where the ride op literally gets devoured by Imhotep is pretty disturbing (and awesome) too.

The Dark Knight coaster’s preshow (SFGAdv).

Spoiler: It has a legitimately good jump-scare.

I was not prepared.

Literally all of Alton Towers’ coasters. I think the smiler has one of the best themes for a ride of all time. I mean, for a time the rides slogan was “get corrected.” Does it get any creepier than that?

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad