Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

Nicole

and Team / Co
Administrator
Jul 22, 2013
Arlington, VA
So, we were driving back from KD last night and Shadows of the Night came on my iPad. Apparently, it is used in Night Beats? As I was dancing as best as I could in my seat, that fact got me thinking: Would I enjoy a show that featured dance music, where I was expected to sit and watch? The answer: absolutely not. At that point it occurred to me was that what I would personally love to see at HoS is a real dance club.

Before I go on, I want to be clear, I do NOT mean anything like Demon Street. I mean an indoor club, which plays a wide variety of good dance music. Specifically the track list MUST include Bizarre Love Triangle.

Pondering what already exists at HoS, I think the Casket Club would be the perfect venue for a dance club. Between Night Beats shows, the Festhaus could be turned into a dance club (maybe on the back side of the stage?). The music could be similar to whatever is played during Night Beats, to maintain consistency. In many ways, it would make it more of a real "club" and less of a clever name.

In my experience dance events are relatively easy to pull off. We ran them several times a semester in college, because people loved going clubbing. The park would have to hire a real DJ, and pay for several hours of music, but beyond that, the only additional costs would be some decorations and maybe some different lighting effects. There is already a nearby bar, and I am certain that there would be plenty of enthusiasm for a real venue for dancing at an event that has already effectively turned into more of a party than a haunt.

Honesty, I feel that a legitimate club is the only missing component of the HoS party anyway. People like me would much prefer to spend an evening dancing than sitting in a seat or hanging out a bar. Obviously, I think they should focus less on the bars and more on the houses and scare zones. If they are determined to focus on the booze, however, I'd like to see a real dance club added this year.

I like the idea of the area behind the stage becoming the dance floor. That way, if you're boring like me and can't dance, you can sit and eat and watch the show, but if you would rather dance, you have that option as well. My only worry would be that some dummy would get too wild and knock someone in the head (especially with all the alcohol being sold in the park).

People drink at dance clubs every night of the week. I am less concerned about the dancers being drunk than the guys camped out at the bar, to be honest. When I went clubbing back in the day, I would drink a few G&Ts and several glasses of water. None of us ever got really hammered, because we were too busy dancing.

Nicole said:
People drink at dance clubs every night of the week.  I am less concerned about the dancers being drunk than the guys camped out at the bar, to be honest.  When I went clubbing back in the day, I would drink a few G&Ts and several glasses of water.  None of us ever got really hammered, because we were too busy dancing.
I don't know much about clubs or drinking because I'm too young for both :p.

ReggaeInMyJeggae said:
Nicole said:
I mean an indoor club, which plays a wide variety of good dance music.

At first I was like, wut???

Nicole said:
Specifically the track list MUST include Bizarre Love Triangle.

And then I was like, ok, cool.

We could insist on a Ska track for you!

In fact, I think we could help them out, by providing a complete set list...just so nothing terrible accidentally slips in.

Reactions: Mad Ludwig
Doesn't BGT do something like this? At least they used to from what I remember. I'm personally all for it, and I believe it was talked about a few times at some point (more than likely in the chat room). Pretty sure if Scott was gone, and BGW shifted their focus from family back to where it used to be (actual scares) something like this would work. But for now, it really seems like they try to target everyone, and it's just not going to work.

Edit: Just as a note, i'm ALWAYS game with any plans for more booze.

I like the idea and believe it could be a draw for many ages, particularly teens. Teens probably have a limited number of options for dance music. I wonder if the wide mix of ages and having alcohol present would cause problems? The park already has a mix of ages and alcohol so probably no cause for concern.

Incidentally I have always wanted to attend or host a Halloween party with the theme, "Dead Man's Party" where everyone attends as a dead celebrity. I don't think it translates to your idea, but I keeping hoping to be invited to such a party.

I once went to "the Party From Hell." We had to come dressed as we saw ourselves in Hell. Naturally, I wore a cocktail dress. The hipster didn't get the joke; he was tiresome.

They use to have a street party type of thing outside Das Festhaus directly after Fiends in the Festhaus. A few cast members would be outside and lead some dance steps. Mostly kids joined in as adults aren't much fun. It was not dance club music, tho. Stuff like Ghostbusters, Twist (with prize for best twister), I Feel Good and yes, Cha Cha Slide.

Reactions: wombat96
Yeah. Jack is Back or whatever that was is exactly not what I had in mind.

I mean something like a real club that people really go to to really dance. Not some block party.

I don't know if this lasted for the whole Howl-O-Scream season or not, but one year there was a dance party by DarKastle with different DarKastle characters doing dances with the crowd. All I remember is seeing a group of werewolves jumping up and down clapping with the crowd while I was leaving the Festhaus. I assume this took place in 2005 to promote DarKastle in its opening year. I know I'm not imagining this, as I found a flyer a few months back while cleaning out our car. It was on a piece of colored paper given to us at the toll booths, telling us that there was a dance party by DarKastle at the start of HOS. I assume this only lasted one year, though.

Edit: This was more of a block party than a club party. Didn't see your post, Nic. ;)

Nicole said:
Before I go on, I want to be clear, I do NOT mean anything like Demon Street.  I mean an indoor club, which plays a wide variety of good dance music.  Specifically the track list MUST include Bizarre Love Triangle.

Since this critical piece of my original concept seems to have been missed completely...

Tampa has something like this every year for people over 21 (maybe 18). It always goes along with the years theme, and is located in The Marrakesh Theatre, which they inclose. The Marrakesh Theatre is a carbon copy of The Canadian Palladium, which was located in Williamsburg where Le Catapult is now. I agree though. I don't think this would happen in Williamsburg with certain people in charge, even though it would probably be a great money maker.

I am curious how receptive the local audience is to the BGT dance party? Can anyone provide any information? I thought the outdoor dance party back in the day at BGW would be a big draw. However, (on almost all Fridays and Sundays) and with the music mentioned in a previous post by BGW Family, hardly anyone participated. Perhaps the music choice was at fault, but costumed cast-members certainly tried to involve the crowd.

Do we think the inside venue and improved music would be more conducive to a dance event? For me it's difficult to imagine that such an event would mesh well musically with Night Beats which has a mostly-non dance music soundtrack. It's certainly true that the crowd has changed in character since the days of the early dance party, so perhaps I am wrong. I would welcome being wrong because I think this concept would be awesome if it worked out.

I guess at this point I'm just wondering why this would work better inside where it potentially clashes with the main show and its audience, than outside in France where it could be executed better than it is now as Demon Street. By clashes I mean that I wonder if the crowd that enjoys Bizarre Love Triangle, (which I like,) would be the same that enjoys Night Beats. It's not that I think people aren't complex enough to enough multiple genres of music, and dance to them, because I would do so. I just wonder if the number of people that do is sufficient to make this effort viable.

I wish BGW had more inside areas to make advanced concepts like this workable. Eagle's Nest is a large, untapped resource for a new house, party, etc especially since you could use the Le Scoot area for the line. Also, the house behind Bitten and field beyond is now unused, although those are off the traveled path.

Reactions: Nicole
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad