Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Jun 22, 2013
Tampa, FL
www.wdwtourcompany.com
Full article here: http://bgtfans.com/2013/more-cuts-and-closures-ahead/

To give a quick summary...

Already closed/reduced:
- Pirates 4D
- Orang Cafe
- Plant sales location inside gate
- Summer Nights hours on weekends
- Concession/merchandise locations reduced hours

Expected Monday August 19th:
- Crown Colony Restaurant
- Garden Gate Cafe
- Rhino Rally
- A is for Africa - weekend only performances
- Madagascar Live - weekend only performances
- further reduction in concession/merchandise hours

Coming Soon:
- Jungle Flyers seasonal closure (Sept 3 - Dec 19)
- Skyride closure (Sept 9 - Nov 10)

This is horrible that it is hitting the Busch parks so bad. I don't know the details, but it seems like the SeaWorld's aren't getting cut that much. (I don't know if that is true, I am just out of the loop. If someone could clarify, that would be great)

As expected, Rhino Rally is now closed:
[tweet=https://twitter.com/BGTFansOnline/status/369469014591819776]
[tweet=https://twitter.com/BGTFansOnline/status/369469510752817152]

Reactions: Bill
Weekday showings of A is for Africa and Madagascar Live also cut as expected.
[tweet=https://twitter.com/BGTFansOnline/status/369480161814511616]
[tweet=https://twitter.com/BGTFansOnline/status/369477033018920960]

Reactions: Peter R. and Bill
[tweet=https://twitter.com/BGTFansOnline/status/370273318232129536]

What I think is most interesting here is that Rhino Rally was wiped completely from the map, but the building housing Garden Gate Cafe is still there. Maybe because they can't really cover the building up?

Reactions: Zachary
Hey, I'm Jonathan (CoasterDude3000) and I'm new to this forum. I'm a Tampa local, so I'll be more than happy to keep you guys updated on BGT news.

Anyway, I did notice today at BGT that the plants are back near the shops in Morocco, which may be a good sign, and the overflow parking was used, even though the park was not that packed. (Next to Main Parking)

Also, with Rhino Rally, I wonder if completely wiping it from the map means if that's the next thing to go. Eh, but it's just my opinion.

Always a pleasure to help,
Jonathan

Interesting to note, this Tuesday through Friday, the park hours are now 10 - 5 (down from 10 - 6). So far, the following weeks are still 10 - 6 Monday through Friday, but it will be interesting to see if that changes.

One other interesting note, on the park's online schedule, today is the last day that currently has an entertainment line up. It usually is posted for about a week out if not more, but starting with tomorrow's date, there simply is nothing posted on any of the show's schedules. Not sure what this means (if anything) but wanted to make a note on it.

Welcome to the forums Jonathan!

Reactions: Jonathan S
Thank you Bill! I feel welcomed!

Anyway, I may be heading back to BGT today, Bill, so I may be able to investigate about the status of CC House Restaurant, Rhino Rally, Oasis, etc. Well, I certainly hope things go back to normal at BGT, and Falcon's Fury from the looks of it looks like its making leaps and bounds in progress!

Also, you can always ask me if you need for me to do any report work, investigation, etc. I'd be more than happy to assist you, because I just <3 BGT.

-Jonathan

Reactions: Bill
Since the park's website wasn't updated, I swung by the park this afternoon to inquire at Guest Relations what this month's Pass Member Instant Rewards offer was. The response: "There isn't one."

Apparently, despite being promoted on their blog and facebook (their facebook post has since been removed), the program has been discontinued. The employee at Guest Relations simply said they hadn't received any information on it, or why it wasn't available this month.

I mentioned that this, coupled with all of the other cuts recently, are really making for a negative experience for their pass holders. The response: "you're preaching to the choir." Sounds like the front line employees at Guest Relations are getting an earful from pass holders. Since pass holders make up 40% of SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment chain-wide attendance, one would think we are an important part of the decision making process on things. Lately, it doesn't seem that way.

Still no entertainment schedule on the website. The good news is, that even with the 5 p.m. closing, they are still running three shows of Iceploration.

Also, the new Garden Gate Craft Brews is closed today. As is the Congo train station. I am assuming those are going to be regular weekday closings now, I'll confirm later this week on another visit.

Bill said:
Still no entertainment schedule on the website. The good news is, that even with the 5 p.m. closing, they are still running three shows of Iceploration.

Also, the new Garden Gate Craft Brews is closed today. As is the Congo train station. I am assuming those are going to be regular weekday closings now, I'll confirm later this week on another visit.

Purely out of curiosity, do you have any idea how much attendance is tourists and how much is local?

Nic said:
Purely out of curiosity, do you have any idea how much attendance is tourists and how much is local?

Chain-wide 40% of annual attendance is pass members.

I don't have any figures on what BGT's attendance structure is like when it comes to locals vs. tourists. I can tell you from my many visits, although this is all anecdotal, that there is a healthy mix of both tourists and local pass holders. Over the summer months, there was a very strong presence of international visitors, including many large South American tour groups in June and July, and many visitors with English/British/South African accents up through this past weekend.

In July and August, when the Pass Member Instant Rewards program was going on, I often did see pass holders getting their free snack/drink. So the local/pass member population was there when I was visiting as well.

I hope this sort of answers your question. Theme parks are usually very vague and general when it comes to attendance composition questions. With any luck as time goes on, I'll be able to make some more connections within the park to be able to get answers to these types of questions.

Reactions: Nicole
Bill said:
Nic said:

Chain-wide 40% of annual attendance is pass members.

I don't have any figures on what BGT's attendance structure is like when it comes to locals vs. tourists. I can tell you from my many visits, although this is all anecdotal, that there is a healthy mix of both tourists and local pass holders. Over the summer months, there was a very strong presence of international visitors, including many large South American tour groups in June and July, and many visitors with English/British/South African accents up through this past weekend.

In July and August, when the Pass Member Instant Rewards program was going on, I often did see pass holders getting their free snack/drink. So the local/pass member population was there when I was visiting as well.

I hope this sort of answers your question. Theme parks are usually very vague and general when it comes to attendance composition questions. With any luck as time goes on, I'll be able to make some more connections within the park to be able to get answers to these types of questions.

Thanks!

I think this was about what I expected. I was really just wondering if the new cutbacks will affect tourist traffic, or if it just sucks for locals. I'm not saying either is better, just thinking about their calculus.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad