Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Jun 22, 2013
Tampa, FL
www.wdwtourcompany.com
Disappointing news out of BGT yesterday and today. I confirmed the rumor we've heard that Crown Colony Restaurant (the full service restaurant, not the cafe) and Garden Gate Cafe are both slated to close in just a few weeks.

Check out the article on BGTFans.com here:
http://bgtfans.com/2013/crown-colony-restaurant-and-garden-gate-cafe-closing/

This is I believe the start of some larger cuts at the park, which have been mostly avoided up until this point. A combination of overall budget cuts with lower than expected attendance seems to be the reasoning, at least unofficially.

Mushroom

Getting aHEAD of myself
Advisory Panel
Feb 12, 2011
^Two more members joining the "Europe in the Air Club?" Oh, no! Bill, I believe you jinxed things when you stated elsewhere that BGT isn't fairing as poorly as BGW "yet". ;) In seriousness, though, it's not a good thing to lose two major eating establishments at a park...

Jun 22, 2013
Tampa, FL
www.wdwtourcompany.com
J0E1 said:
^Two more members joining the "Europe in the Air Club?" Oh, no! Bill, I believe you jinxed things when you stated elsewhere that BGT isn't fairing as poorly as BGW yet. ;) In seriousness, though, it's not a good thing to lose to major eating establishments at a park...

There's definitely a reason I used the word yet... there have been some minor cuts already, most notably the sudden closure of Pirates 4D. There have been rumblings of more cuts coming over the last few weeks, and unfortunately, I think this is only the first of what's to come.

Jun 22, 2013
Tampa, FL
www.wdwtourcompany.com
pandorazboxx said:
Ugh. Like permanent closure or temporary? Where am I going to get the best beer now?

Somewhere in between. It sounds like Garden Gate is already planned to be reopened in several months. No word on Crown Colony.

The counter service restaurant, Crown Colony Cafe, on the second floor, is remaining open. They currently have two bars in there... check out my recent article on the new one that features local craft brews: http://bgtfans.com/2013/cc-craft-brews-opens-at-crown-colony/

Reactions: Jesy
Mar 30, 2010
I just read your blog post. I was thinking about the upstairs bar. Good to hear that at least will stay open. Great way to get out of the heat.

Nicole

Administrator
Jul 22, 2013
Arlington, VA
This news is really sad. I really enjoyed the full service restaurant. Last time we ate there, my husband and I saw some really funny giraffe antics.

First the Bistro in Williamsburg, now Crown Colony in Tampa. I wonder if this means we should expect to see Sharks Underwater Grill closed soon, too?

Jul 22, 2010
Crown upstairs is my favorite dining venue there. It is ALWAYS a must do for my family, friends, and I. Bitter on this one without a doubt.

Nicole

Administrator
Jul 22, 2013
Arlington, VA
For what it is worth, our waitress at Crown Colony told us that they are going to reassess in the Spring, and might decide to reopen the restaurant. I have no idea how good her information is, but I thought I'd pass it along. I am hopeful.

Jun 22, 2013
Tampa, FL
www.wdwtourcompany.com
Nic said:
For what it is worth, our waitress at Crown Colony told us that they are going to reassess in the Spring, and might decide to reopen the restaurant. I have no idea how good her information is, but I thought I'd pass it along. I am hopeful.

That's pretty much the same I've been hearing, that come Spring Break/Easter season, it could reopen. Officially, they've said it will reopen at some point... but that doesn't exactly come across as reassuring.

Reactions: Zachary and Nicole

Nicole

Administrator
Jul 22, 2013
Arlington, VA
Bill said:
That's pretty much the same I've been hearing, that come Spring Break/Easter season, it could reopen. Officially, they've said it will reopen at some point... but that doesn't exactly come across as reassuring.

The giraffes and I have hope.

Reactions: Bill
Jun 22, 2013
Tampa, FL
www.wdwtourcompany.com
Just to add to the tweets from earlier, all of the signage around Crown Colony was changed out to show only the Cafe and Pub, so all references to the restaurant have been removed from around the building. If you didn't know the restaurant existed yesterday, you wouldn't have a clue about it today by looking at the building.

Over at Garden Gate, they were removing the large sign when I got there, but other signage in the area, including on the outside of the entrance building where you pay was already removed. Two signs remain over the doors on the building itself, it's not clear if they will be pulled down as well.

Both eateries, however, are sill listed on the map (front and back). It will be interesting to see if they do a map update or not.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad